Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wreck of Santa Maria found after 500 years.
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
Wreck of Santa Maria found after 500 years.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...59330.html

Quote:More than five centuries after Christopher Columbus’s flagship, the Santa Maria, was wrecked in the Caribbean, archaeological investigators think they may have discovered the vessel’s long-lost remains – lying at the bottom of the sea off the north coast of Haiti. It’s likely to be one of the world’s most important underwater archaeological discoveries.
05-13-2014 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Wreck of Santa Maria found after 500 years.
Just saw that story myself.. it'll be a GREAT historical find if it is the ship..
05-13-2014 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
(05-13-2014 07:20 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  Just saw that story myself.. it'll be a GREAT historical find if it is the ship..

Absolutely. Almost as, or as big, as the Titanic discovery.

They seem quite confident that is the Santa Maria. Will be interesting to see what the final conclusions are.
05-13-2014 07:21 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Will wait until it's confirmend to get all giddy about this find.
05-14-2014 08:12 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(05-13-2014 07:21 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  
(05-13-2014 07:20 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  Just saw that story myself.. it'll be a GREAT historical find if it is the ship..

They seem quite confident that is the Santa Maria. Will be interesting to see what the final conclusions are.

Over 400 years old. Much more significant than the Titanic discovery.
05-14-2014 08:16 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(05-13-2014 07:21 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  

If it's really the Santa Maria, it will be 100 times greater than the discovery of the Titanic due to being about 420 years older... Good find though, thanks for sharing.
05-14-2014 08:21 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Wonder if anything from the ship is salvageable. The picture I saw of what they believe to be the wreckage just looked like a pile of rocks and reef.
05-14-2014 08:28 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
I noticed in the article, not one mention of Columbus being the Discoverer of America. The closest they came was...

Quote:Then, in a native village nearby, Columbus began building his first fort – and, a week later, leaving many of his men behind in the fort, he used his two remaining vessels to sail back to Spain in order to report his discovery of what he perceived as a new westerly route to Asia to his royal patrons - King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain.
05-14-2014 08:39 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-14-2014 08:39 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  I noticed in the article, not one mention of Columbus being the Discoverer of America. The closest they came was...

Quote:Then, in a native village nearby, Columbus began building his first fort – and, a week later, leaving many of his men behind in the fort, he used his two remaining vessels to sail back to Spain in order to report his discovery of what he perceived as a new westerly route to Asia to his royal patrons - King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain.

It is pretty well accepted at this point that Columbus did not discover the Americas. He may have been the first European to discover the Caribbean, but there is a lot of evidence that Europeans (Norse people) landed in Canada hundreds of years before Columbus.
05-14-2014 08:49 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(05-14-2014 08:49 AM)Niner National Wrote:  
(05-14-2014 08:39 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  I noticed in the article, not one mention of Columbus being the Discoverer of America. The closest they came was...

It is pretty well accepted at this point that Columbus did not discover the Americas. He may have been the first European to discover the Caribbean, but there is a lot of evidence that Europeans (Norse people) landed in Canada hundreds of years before Columbus.

Columbus is still credited with the discovery. IIRC
05-14-2014 08:52 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I don't think its that important. It isn't the first wreck of this type of ship. It isn't the oldest wreck we've ever discovered. It isn't a wreck with far reaching consequences or anything.

It's just cool they found it, nothing else.
05-14-2014 08:54 AM
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

The comments below the story are funny. I was halfway through them and it daned on me that I was wasting my morning away on shiit I couldn't respond to. Apparently this ship has been found once or twice before, just as this one has.
05-14-2014 08:56 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

The way I always remembered it was like this: In Fourteen Hundred and Ninety Two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

I thought Native Americans were here first, in this area, and I know the vikings hit North America close to the turn of, or just after, the first millenia... Columbus discovered the southeast part of America.

I could be wrong, I wasn't there for any of that.
05-14-2014 09:01 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(05-14-2014 08:54 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't think its that important. It isn't the first wreck of this type of ship. It isn't the oldest wreck we've ever discovered. It isn't a wreck with far reaching consequences or anything.

And supposedly has been found before. LOL
05-14-2014 09:02 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2014 09:01 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

The way I always remembered it was like this: In Fourteen Hundred and Ninety Two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

I thought Native Americans were here first, in this area, and I know the vikings hit North America close to the turn of, or just after, the first millenia... Columbus discovered the southeast part of America.

03-lmfao
05-14-2014 09:03 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2014 09:02 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(05-14-2014 08:54 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't think its that important. It isn't the first wreck of this type of ship. It isn't the oldest wreck we've ever discovered. It isn't a wreck with far reaching consequences or anything.

And supposedly has been found before. LOL

I didn't know that.

So, watch this boat not even be it.
05-14-2014 09:04 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
Thats why we keep saying IF... I think they had two false "recoveries" previously. One was a spanish galleon from around the Spanish-American war... and I don't remember what the other false recovery was.
05-14-2014 09:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!

columbus gets credit for discovering a place that he technically did not discover first, a place named after another italian explorer who sailed to the America's in the same time period, and a place that he insisted to his death that he did not discover.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014 09:50 AM by john01992.)
05-14-2014 09:46 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(05-14-2014 09:16 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  Thats why we keep saying IF... I think they had two false "recoveries" previously. One was a spanish galleon from around the Spanish-American war... and I don't remember what the other false recovery was.

How the hell would they even tell anyways? Number one, it was 521.5 years ago. Number two, they all looked the same. And number three, it may have been written to make someone think that ship had wrecked. For all we know, it might have been taken apart and used to make furniture later on. Hell, my 200 year old antique queen bed and dresser might have a piece of that ship on it.

I'm sure nobody around those times would have ever been smart enough to do something that would throw someone else off course... Just like the Fountain of Youth having bogus coordinates...
05-14-2014 09:56 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(05-14-2014 09:46 AM)john01992 Wrote:  

columbus gets credit for discovering a place that he technically did not discover first, a place named after another italian explorer who sailed to the America's in the same time period, and a place that he insisted to his death that he did not discover.

Yeah, there's no way I'd ever have believed that America went for 40,000 or so years without someone finding it before 1492.
05-14-2014 09:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.