Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Orleans Bowl 2014 SBC vs MW
Bookmark and Share
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Just learned from the MW meetings this week that the MW will be in the N. O. Bowl this year. There is no set selection from the MW but was wondering if this was the #2 Sunbelt team that goes or is there no longer a hard selection with the no bowls going forward?
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 11:52 AM by MWC Tex.)
05-10-2014 11:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: New Orleans Bowl 2014 SBC vs MW
(05-10-2014 11:52 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Just learned from the MW meetings this week that the MW will be in the N. O. Bowl this year. There is no set selection from the MW but was wondering if this was the #2 Sunbelt team that goes or is there no longer a hard selection with the no bowls going forward?

NO Bowl Has first choice of SBC representative, but is not bound to take the Champion.

If the Cajuns don't go 12-0, or 6-6 or worse, there's your opponent.
05-10-2014 12:33 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(05-10-2014 12:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 11:52 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Just learned from the MW meetings this week that the MW will be in the N. O. Bowl this year. There is no set selection from the MW but was wondering if this was the #2 Sunbelt team that goes or is there no longer a hard selection with the no bowls going forward?

NO Bowl Has first choice of SBC representative, but is not bound to take the Champion.

If the Cajuns don't go 12-0, or 6-6 or worse, there's your opponent.

I'm not so sure we would want to go to our 4th NOLA Bowl in a row. I don't want to see us pull a Tech but I would prefer to go elsewhere. I'm 40 minutes from the dome so I'm not thinking about myself but our program. We would draw well in Houston, Dallas, Shreveport and Mobile or anyplace that has a direct flight from NOLA. Besides I would like to see how stAte would travel to NOLA. Katrina really messed it up for you guys.
05-11-2014 09:46 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
So ULL vs Boise St in NOLA? I would be a fan of that matchup.
05-11-2014 10:01 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-11-2014 10:01 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  So ULL vs Boise St in NOLA? I would be a fan of that matchup.

Would be a rematch of a regular season game
05-11-2014 10:09 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
If USA is available this year, you'd think that the GDB would want to take USA. So if ULL doesn't want to go to New Orleans, and you think USA will finish 7-5 or better, the most likely 'not New Orleans' destination for ULL would be Montgomery. That is unless Troy finishes 7-5 or better (and have you seen Troy's schedule)

Good news this year is that there should be enough new bowls for the Belt to get at least four teams in this year.

I would think that Arkansas State would want to try another location than Mobile next year.

Of course ULL could make this easy by taking the Access Bowl bid.
05-11-2014 10:21 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(05-11-2014 10:21 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  If USA is available this year, you'd think that the GDB would want to take USA. So if ULL doesn't want to go to New Orleans, and you think USA will finish 7-5 or better, the most likely 'not New Orleans' destination for ULL would be Montgomery. That is unless Troy finishes 7-5 or better (and have you seen Troy's schedule)

Good news this year is that there should be enough new bowls for the Belt to get at least four teams in this year.

I would think that Arkansas State would want to try another location than Mobile next year.

ASU will go to the Go Daddy Bowl every year they have us. Our fans love it in Mobile. I think we'd like to get a shot at New Orleans simply because we got stuck with the bowl in the Katrina year and never got to see the whole NOLA experience, but if you told our fan base we would be Go Daddy bound for a 4th straight year, we'd all take it in a heart beat.

I'm also not entirely sure Go Daddy would just take USA for sure. There is a lot to filling hotel rooms, and South fans would not have to travel. An ASU or a ULL would bring much more to an area from an economic sense, and Ticket Sales would work out the same.

I think USA would do well in Montgomery.
05-11-2014 10:31 PM
bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(05-11-2014 10:09 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:01 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  So ULL vs Boise St in NOLA? I would be a fan of that matchup.

Would be a rematch of a regular season game

Well then I guess I'm still a fan of the matchup.
05-11-2014 11:14 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-11-2014 10:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:21 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  If USA is available this year, you'd think that the GDB would want to take USA. So if ULL doesn't want to go to New Orleans, and you think USA will finish 7-5 or better, the most likely 'not New Orleans' destination for ULL would be Montgomery. That is unless Troy finishes 7-5 or better (and have you seen Troy's schedule)

ASU will go to the Go Daddy Bowl every year they have us. Our fans love it in Mobile. I think we'd like to get a shot at New Orleans simply because we got stuck with the bowl in the Katrina year and never got to see the whole NOLA experience, but if you told our fan base we would be Go Daddy bound for a 4th straight year, we'd all take it in a heart beat.

I'm also not entirely sure Go Daddy would just take USA for sure. There is a lot to filling hotel rooms, and South fans would not have to travel. An ASU or a ULL would bring much more to an area from an economic sense, and Ticket Sales would work out the same.

Y'all should love it there...you never seem to lose there.. even during the regular season 03-banghead

But that being said....filling the stadium > filling hotel rooms. Remember the bowl gets the gate from the stadium. The bowl gets a much smaller, and indirect portion of the hotel taxes. For the first year that USA is a legitimate bowl team...the GDB should want them.

Next year could get a bit nasty. Lets say that USA, ULL, Troy, and Ark State all finish with winning records but none of us go access bowl. Ark State probably should be working some phones in that scenario. I think with more bowls that the Belt should get 4 in. Starting the following year, it should be even less of an issue.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 11:57 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
05-11-2014 11:53 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-11-2014 11:53 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Y'all should love it there...you never seem to lose there.. even during the regular season 03-banghead

But that being said....filling the stadium > filling hotel rooms. Remember the bowl gets the gate from the stadium. The bowl gets a much smaller, and indirect portion of the hotel taxes. For the first year that USA is a legitimate bowl team...the GDB should want them.

Next year could get a bit nasty. Lets say that USA, ULL, Troy, and Ark State all finish with winning records but none of us go access bowl. Ark State probably should be working some phones in that scenario. I think with more bowls that the Belt should get 4 in. Starting the following year, it should be even less of an issue.

In that scenario it would probably come down to records. If ASU and ULL are 9-3 each and troy and USA go 7-5...my guess is ASU and ULL get placed first, with the conference hoping one of them could be siphoned off to an open bowl game scenario.

If No game is open...then I think the weaker record gets left out.
05-12-2014 12:48 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The situation in Mobile is a bit different and not as easy to read as other games. Because the city puts up a decent chunk of money (and gets a rebate from the bowl based on the size of the title sponsorship) it could make for a fascinating inter-play. Go read the articles when they make their annual presentation to the council to keep the agreement going, it focuses on hotel occupancy and the bump in tax collections for restaurants. GoDaddy is probably more tuned in to the needs of the hotels and restaurants than most bowls but the flip side of that is the dependence on government backing will create a different dynamic and I cannot imagine any restaurant publicly saying they'd rather have an out-of-town team given that they live and die on the daily transactions. Hotels on the other hand might not be so shy.
05-12-2014 12:54 AM
Advertisement

Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
(05-12-2014 12:48 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

In that scenario it would probably come down to records. If ASU and ULL are 9-3 each and troy and USA go 7-5...my guess is ASU and ULL get placed first, with the conference hoping one of them could be siphoned off to an open bowl game scenario.

I like how you guys are counting us out. We have a good team and should be the spoiler this year. I will say that Ark State or ULL one of the two is going to lose to Texas State this coming year.
05-12-2014 08:27 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(05-12-2014 08:27 AM)Cat79 Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 12:48 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  In that scenario it would probably come down to records. If ASU and ULL are 9-3 each and troy and USA go 7-5...my guess is ASU and ULL get placed first, with the conference hoping one of them could be siphoned off to an open bowl game scenario.

I like how you guys are counting us out. We have a good team and should be the spoiler this year. I will say that Ark State or ULL one of the two is going to lose to Texas State this coming year.

Do you have the same offensive coordinator you had last year?
05-12-2014 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY

Well, hell...if y'all would go ahead and beat 'em both, it'd be appreciated since we don't get a shot at stAte this season 04-cheers
05-12-2014 08:52 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(05-12-2014 08:33 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Do you have the same offensive coordinator you had last year?

Yes.

03-weeping03-weeping03-weeping03-weeping03-weeping
05-12-2014 09:18 AM
chiefsfan Offline

Not counting Texas State out. He gave an example with Troy and USA, so I used his example to explain my theory.

If you would like, we could swap Texas State out for Troy...because I'm not entirely sure Troy is going to be eligible next year.
05-12-2014 10:13 AM
Advertisement

geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana

We play Boise in Boise, so I do not think we would want to play them twice in the same season.
05-12-2014 10:48 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-12-2014 10:48 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  

We play Boise in Boise, so I do not think we would want to play them twice in the same season.

Yeah, rematch doesn't make sense.

Though I'd love for ASU to play Boise...and half our old coaching staff.
05-12-2014 12:26 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not counting you out. But ULL, USA, and Troy now have 'hometown bowls'. That was my point. The three other teams that are looking to compete for a bowl this year (Texas State, ULM, and Arkansas State) should be watching the bowl situation closely. Last year by week 3 it was obvious that there would be no bowl for a SBC team outside the contractual bowls. This year, there's a better chance of that happening.

Ark State travels well, but they've been to the same bowl 4 years running. USA has never been to a bowl, so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out. Especially with a hometown bowl (and one controlled locally). Montgomery, being owned by a network, might have less pressure to play 'homer' on that one.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 12:52 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
05-12-2014 12:40 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2014 10:13 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ASU will go to the Go Daddy Bowl every year they have us. Our fans love it in Mobile. I think we'd like to get a shot at New Orleans simply because we got stuck with the bowl in the Katrina year and never got to see the whole NOLA experience, but if you told our fan base we would be Go Daddy bound for a 4th straight year, we'd all take it in a heart beat.

Not counting Texas State out. He gave an example with Troy and USA, so I used his example to explain my theory.

If you would like, we could swap Texas State out for Troy...because I'm not entirely sure Troy is going to be eligible next year.

Have you SEEN Troy's schedule? Its not a guantlet.

Troy with 7 losses. Lets see how we get there. Lose to Duke at home, lose to Georgia on the road. Lose to the three SBC teams they play that finished 6-6 or better last year (at USA, ULL at home, and at ULM). Still need 2 more losses. UAB on the road. Troy is still bowl eligible at this point. Even after that... Troy needs to drop one of the following (Abilene Christian at home, at Idaho, at Georgia Southern, Georgia State at home, NMSU at home, or App at home).

I suppose its possible that Troy isn't bowl eligible next year. But with that schedule......they better'd be eligible.

For Troy, you can pretty much congratulate them on being bowl eligible if they beat UAB on the road in week one.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 12:53 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
05-12-2014 12:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.