2014-15 Rules changes
Bookmark and Share
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
2014-15 Rules changes
Just saw this:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...ooter-rule

In order to take a charge, the alteration will require a defending player to be in legal guarding position before the airborne player leaves the floor to pass or shoot. Additionally, the defending player is not allowed to move in any direction before contact occurs (except vertically to block a shot). All rules alterations must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to convene via teleconference on June 25. The proposal is allowed in the non-change year under PROP guidelines because the committee believes a new rule requires alteration.

“This alteration will impact block/charge plays in an effort to make this play easier to coach and officiate,” said Rick Byrd, head coach at Belmont and chair of the committee, which met jointly with the National Association of Basketball Coaches board of directors and the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Committee. “In our discussions, the men’s basketball community, including coaches, officials and administrators, agreed that this rule needed adjustment.”

Last season, the committee changed the timeframe at which the defender must be in legal guarding position, adjusting it to when the airborne player started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a shot or pass. When reviewing game footage from last season, the committee concluded that those types of plays became more difficult to coach and officiate.

Also- going to see more freedom of movement inside this year:
• A defensive player pushing a leg or knee into the rear of the offensive player shall be a personal foul on the defender;

• An offensive player dislodging a defensive player from an established position by pushing or backing in shall be a personal foul on the offensive player;

• A player using the “swim stroke” arm movement to lower the arm of an opponent shall be charged with a personal foul;

• Post players using hands, forearms or elbows to prevent an opponent from maintaining a legal position shall be charged with a personal foul.

Should clean things up a lot.....

Also- an experiment but I think one that will be very positive....
Committee members also recommended an experimental rule involving timeouts, with an eye on potentially using this in the Postseason NIT. In this proposal, when a team calls a timeout within 30 seconds of the next scheduled media timeout (first dead ball under the 16-, 12-, 8-, and 4-minute marks), that timeout will become the first media timeout.

For example, when Team A calls a timeout at 16:02 in the first half, there will not be a media timeout at the first dead ball under the 16-minute mark. This would eliminate a stoppage of play without reducing the number of team timeouts.

I think this is a no brainer. I always hate the games when you have a timeout at 16:02, then ball goes out of bounds at 15:57 and you have another timeout.
05-09-2014 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
RE: 2014-15 Rules changes
I believe an area that really needs to be looked at is the video review, especially in the last 2 minutes of a game. I don’t have a problem with the refs trying to get it right, where I do have a huge problem is the situation where team A is up by 4 points with 20 seconds to go. Team A inbounds the ball and team B fouls immediately. Team B has no time outs left but because the refs want to be sure there is 18.5 seconds left and not 19 they huddle around the monitor for 30+ seconds checking to make sure the tenths of a second are correct on the clock and team B gets what effectively is a free time out when they had none left to plan on how they will run an inbounds play against a press or offense after the made or missed free throw by team A.

I saw that happen on a number of occasions last season and it’s a major problem.
05-10-2014 12:13 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

yeah it's a major problem but one that I don't know if there's really any answer for it.
05-10-2014 09:40 PM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

(05-10-2014 09:40 PM)stever20 Wrote:  yeah it's a major problem but one that I don't know if there's really any answer for it.

I’m not sure there is either, but two things that would help is the first thing is they need to make the review process much much quicker. A full second one way or another I can understand definitely getting it right, but when it’s a 2 minute review to put 2 or 3 tenths back on the clock is unacceptable. Besides the free time out the break interrupts the flow of the game, especially for the team who is scratching back when are pressing and forcing turnovers.

The second suggestion I would make is the officials shouldn’t allow the players to go to the benches during the review. Make them stand around the free throw line area, keep an official with each team on the court to keep the back and forth with the coach on the bench discussions to a minimum. 3 officials work the game and 1 works the clock, you don’t need all four of them huddled around the monitor, let the lead official along with the clock official make the call.
05-11-2014 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
It seems like basketball is now just a shooting game, no defense at all!

04-cheers
05-11-2014 10:26 AM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

(05-11-2014 10:26 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  It seems like basketball is now just a shooting game, no defense at all!

04-cheers

I couldn’t agree more, and lately it seems like more and more rules are put in place to make that even more the case.

Personally I love a hard fought physical defensive 62 to 58 game where every possession in the second half is critical and the game is a war. However I believe I am in the quickly shrinking minority.

My biggest knock on the NBA is it was exactly this, a 3 point fast break slam dunk shooting contest where no one plays defense. With the rule changes over the past 2 seasons it’s looking more and more like college basketball it trying to follow the same plan.
05-11-2014 12:13 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I think the problem was things shifted so much that the rules committee had no choice but to make changes.
05-12-2014 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.