UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA chief Emmert: I'm an idiot
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
NCAA chief Emmert: I'm an idiot
Emmert was on Mike and Mike and said that scholarship athletes takes seats away from paying students.

What an idiot. And bad timing too.
04-18-2014 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: NCAA chief Emmert: I'm an idiot
04-18-2014 07:22 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I didn't realize that the seats were full in basket weaving classes.
04-18-2014 07:30 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Not sure why he is an idiot? I actually listened to the interview and thought he was dead on with his comments exempt the one you mentioned. While he is technically correct the school is repaid that scholarship money by the athletic department. Is there a difference in money? I'm sure that there is some regarding in state vs out of state.

He did educate them on several rules and issues they were not farmilliar with and the interviewers came off sounding like more if the idiot that he did.

Just my take.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2014 08:28 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
04-19-2014 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I must be wrong then. Thanks for your clarification. Emmert is the smartest man alive and it is not a PR nightmare to say that people that is bringing in millions of dollars while not receiving one dime of it is taking up space.

I'm sorry.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2014 10:02 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
04-19-2014 10:01 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Twist it however you like. I'm not taking your bait.
04-19-2014 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

I wasn't offering you any. Get our own damn bait.
04-19-2014 10:17 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

;-)
04-19-2014 10:22 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(04-19-2014 10:01 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I must be wrong then. Thanks for your clarification. Emmert is the smartest man alive and it is not a PR nightmare to say that people that is bringing in millions of dollars while not receiving one dime of it is taking up space.

I'm sorry.

You are taking one comment he made out of context. I heard the interview live, and it takes some twisting to get it to what you are saying. Everything else he said was pretty spot on to me.

And the players are receiving one dime whether they believe it or not. I believe there need to be some changes in the whole setup, but I don't believe Emmett is a horrible person because things he addressed on the show haven't been accomplished yet.
04-19-2014 12:24 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Spot on 9911.
04-19-2014 01:01 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
[Image: popcorn_02_stephen_colbert-2.gif?w=330&h=248]
04-19-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
Emmert is an idiot. All you have to do is look at his history. And the fact he asked for this to happen on Twitter:

http://deadspin.com/the-askemmert-q-a-is...socialflow
04-19-2014 10:05 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
As the parent of a college student, I state categorically that anyone getting a full ride is getting not only one dime, but many, MANY dimes.
04-19-2014 10:08 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2014 10:08 PM)Smaug Wrote:  As the parent of a college student, I state categorically that anyone getting a full ride is getting not only one dime, but many, MANY dimes.

It has been over 50 years since I was an undergrad student at a university (Bama) that had scholarship athletes so things may have changed. The chain of money flow then was from contributor to the Athletic Department who then paid the university administration for all athletic school expenses (tuition, fees, meals, text books, dorm room). The only "dimes" from the school that went to the athlete for pocket money were the $15 "laundry money" they got each month.

This whole pay stuff started out as a plea for more pocket money for athletes since the universities and their coaches were now making so much more than in those old days. (Bryant's salary demand in 1958 was to be paid the same as the school's Deans.)
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 12:05 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
04-20-2014 12:04 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

The annual undergrad full load price tag at UAB is currently $16-18K.

Laundry money not included.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 09:14 PM by Smaug.)
04-20-2014 08:12 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(04-20-2014 08:12 AM)Smaug Wrote:  The annual undergrad price full load price tag at UAB is currently $16-18K.

I guess if they don't physically put it in your hand it doesn't count.
04-20-2014 09:49 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(04-20-2014 09:49 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 08:12 AM)Smaug Wrote:  The annual undergrad price full load price tag at UAB is currently $16-18K.

If your paycheck is never put in your hand, pocket or bank account, does it count to you?

How many would accept an employer sending a check to a motel for a single bed room, a check to a restaurant for three individual meals per day, a check to a book store for a business connected text, and a check to your company for whatever parking or service fees they might wish to charge to you - but little or no money in your pocket for what you or your family may want or need? That is exactly the way the system works for the student athlete under the present rules of the NCAA. Remember that you can't take on any outside employment for money while under athletic scholarship due to rules made in response to past corrupt booster activities.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 02:24 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
04-20-2014 02:17 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(04-20-2014 02:17 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

If your paycheck is never put in your hand, pocket or bank account, does it count to you?

How many would accept an employer sending a check to a motel for a single bed room, a check to a restaurant for three individual meals per day, a check to a book store for a business connected text, and a check to your company for whatever parking or service fees they might wish to charge to you - but little or no money in your pocket for what you or your family may want or need? That is exactly the way the system works for the student athlete under the present rules of the NCAA. Remember that you can't take on any outside employment for money while under athletic scholarship due to rules made in response to past corrupt booster activities.

I can't believe you forgot the biggie.

You know, and education?
04-20-2014 03:26 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(04-20-2014 03:26 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

I can't believe you forgot the biggie.

You know, and education?

Yeah! And I forgot to mention that you show up for work at least 20 hours per week and haven't a cent in your pocket to show for it. That is an education that will last.

Athletes are only promised "an opportunity to get an education" IF they are kept on campus for the years it will take to get it. If their scholarship is revoked by the coach because he has his eyes on new talent, what happens to that opportunity then?
04-20-2014 05:04 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up

We are talking about kids in college, not me or anybody else. I came out of college and made under 30,000 a year.(a good bit under that number). The fact that I have loans and these guys are bitching about a free education, free room and board and free food irks me. I understand they put in a lot of hours as part of this deal, but I worked a lot of extra hours to feed myself in college. I get that they don't get gas money or money to do whatever with, but my god lets not act like they are getting completely screwed in this deal.(if athletes were treated so poorly, they could always not sign the scholarship papers)
04-20-2014 05:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.