Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

(Semi-OT) Lynn Shortnacy dead at 65
wrysal Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
(Semi-OT) Lynn Shortnacy dead at 65
Not to start a snark fest or anything, but Lynn Shortnacy, the SWC basketball official we all loved to hate has died of cancer at 65. He made a lousy call, but RIP anyway.
04-06-2014 02:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: (Semi-OT) Lynn Shortnacy dead at 65
RIP. He didn't make a bad call, he made dozens of them, and seemingly most against us.
04-06-2014 02:17 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
He once gave me a "T" in my early days at Southwestern. I was sitting on the bench doing stats at the time. LOL
04-06-2014 04:05 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Adam Peakes was a senior the year Shortnacy screwed us with the McGhee call in the SWC tournament. He was invited to the post game press conference. He said, "I'm going to say what I think, what can they do to me, suspend me from grad school?" He the proceeded to launch into what might be the greatest anti-ref rant ever, all on the record. He finished with something like, "I'm just glad I'm graduating so the SOB can't screw me again." All on the record. Wish I had a tape.
04-06-2014 05:27 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-06-2014 05:27 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Adam Peakes was a senior the year Shortnacy screwed us with the McGhee call in the SWC tournament. He was invited to the post game press conference. He said, "I'm going to say what I think, what can they do to me, suspend me from grad school?" He the proceeded to launch into what might be the greatest anti-ref rant ever, all on the record. He finished with something like, "I'm just glad I'm graduating so the SOB can't screw me again." All on the record. Wish I had a tape.

We were at that game ('95 I believe) and the next day the two Dallas papers (at that time) and I believe it was the Times Herald which carried Adam's complete comments including something along the lines of "the problem playing Texas is that you have to beat 8 people, the 5 UT players and the 3 officials".

Dallas was horror show for the Owls during the SWC tourney days. There was also the back up center (who rarely played) that Brent Scott had to carry up and down the court on his back for the entire game who never fouled out in 1993. That year the Owls finished 2nd and the Horns finished next to last but Penders' strategy against Brent and the Owls paid off in a first round 81-76 win.

And I seem to remember one game where someone on the team we played (and lost to) tested positive after the game and was suspended for the rest of the tournament but his stats and game counted against us.

Lots of bad memories...
04-06-2014 09:42 PM
Advertisement

TazOwl Offline
Special Teams

New Orleans Bowl
Yes, Tiki, it was '95. And as I understand it, he never officiated another game that Rice was involved in after that.
04-09-2014 04:31 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
My memory of that weekend. I was a upset after the game so I went to DFW and flew to New Orleans to see the baseball team play Tulane. As I was walking up to the stadium on Saturday morning, a man came flying out of the tennis courts. He was really upset and yelling about "they screwed us again". I didn't know who he was so I asked. He said "I'm the TCU tennis coach and I'm tired of seeing the other team always have an advantage". It was a little humorous and a little satisfying at the same time.
04-09-2014 04:38 PM
TazOwl Offline
Special Teams

New Orleans Bowl
Hey guys, check out this story I found from game Shortnacy officiated back in 1980. And any of us who knew Bill Cousins could see him probably doing the exact same thing. LOL

Now go stand in the corner!
04-09-2014 04:51 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
I almost hate to ask-did he ref the clown game vs UT in 78 (or 79?)?
04-09-2014 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.