Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

3 dead in meningitis outbreak in L.A. gay community...
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
3 dead in meningitis outbreak in L.A. gay community...
Quote:Three gay men sickened from meningitis in L.A. County have died, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health said Thursday.

The department announced earlier this week that there have been eight cases of invasive meningococcal disease in the county so far this year. Four cases occurred in men who have sex with men. On Thursday, officials said three of them had died, officials said. The victims were 27 or 28.

Some of those sickened lived or socialized in West Hollywood and North Hollywood, officials said.

The county will provide free vaccinations for patients without health insurance, starting Thursday. Those interested can call 211 or visit the department's website to get a listing of provider clinics.

Invasive meningococcal disease stems from a rare bacterial infection that can spread to the blood, brain or spinal cord and can affect the entire body -- sometimes causing death.

It is spread by close exposure to sneezing or coughing or direct contact with saliva or nose mucus -- though it's less contagious than influenza, the health department said.

Activities associated with risk for the illness include smoking, close contact with an infected person such as kissing or sharing beverages or cigarettes, and living in group settings for prolonged periods.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...z2xv2JbZto
04-04-2014 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
RE: 3 dead in meningitis outbreak in L.A. gay community...
That is dangerous.
04-04-2014 07:17 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
I blame Reagan.
04-04-2014 07:21 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Why not Abe Lincoln.
He was a Republican also.
04-04-2014 07:23 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(04-04-2014 07:23 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Why not Abe Lincoln.

Some revisionists do claim Abe Lincoln was gay...
04-04-2014 07:26 AM
DrTorch Offline

Lots of leftists got upset b/c Reagan didn't jump to spend a trillion dollars on AIDS research in the 80s. So they blamed him (and some still do) for the epidemic in their community.
04-04-2014 07:26 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(04-04-2014 07:26 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Lots of leftists got upset b/c Reagan didn't jump to spend a trillion dollars on AIDS research in the 80s. So they blamed him (and some still do) for the epidemic in their community.

Not sure how they can claim that. As an 80s child, up until I was out of high school, I was more worried about getting AIDS from heterosexual activity than I was about getting a girl pregnant. Anyone who claims to have not been extremely educated on AIDS during the Regan and Bush I administrations are quite simply lying. Obama is more to blame. This administration has people in the "gay community" like Tom thinking AIDS is no big deal anymore. It may not be a "3 years to live" death sentence like it was, but you sure as hell aren't fighting off nasty viruses and bacteria such as meningitis if you have AIDS.
04-04-2014 07:37 AM
DrTorch Offline

(04-04-2014 07:37 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Not sure how they can claim that. As an 80s child, up until I was out of high school, I was more worried about getting AIDS from heterosexual activity than I was about getting a girl pregnant.

You ask for rationality?

Anyway, it wasn't just public awareness campaigns. They wanted billions spent on medical research, and Reagan didn't authorize it. Not that it would have provided a cure, obviously, leftists aren't about reality. But they still blame him.
04-04-2014 07:40 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-04-2014 07:26 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I thought he hunted vampires during his spare time.
04-04-2014 07:41 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
Quote:The county will provide free vaccinations for patients without health insurance, starting Thursday. Those interested can call 211 or visit the department's website to get a listing of provider clinics.

What's the need for socialized medicine (aka Obamacare) when we already give out free care?
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 07:54 AM by Jerry Falwell.)
04-04-2014 07:54 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(04-04-2014 07:41 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 07:26 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I thought he hunted vampires during his spare time.

BIG gay community among vampires. Which of course also explains the disproportionately high number of pedophiles.
04-04-2014 07:59 AM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Guys, Meningitis outbreaks happen all the time. I think this does bear watching, simply because of some other problems that this outbreak might be related to. Public health is watching this one closely.
04-04-2014 08:38 AM
DrTorch Offline

(04-04-2014 08:38 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Guys, Meningitis outbreaks happen all the time.

<2 per 100,000 people per year.

I suppose that means in this country there is someone, somewhere w/ the condition, but it's pretty uncommon.
04-04-2014 09:13 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(04-04-2014 07:40 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 07:37 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Not sure how they can claim that. As an 80s child, up until I was out of high school, I was more worried about getting AIDS from heterosexual activity than I was about getting a girl pregnant.

You ask for rationality?

Anyway, it wasn't just public awareness campaigns. They wanted billions spent on medical research, and Reagan didn't authorize it. Not that it would have provided a cure, obviously, leftists aren't about reality. But they still blame him.

And..... 30 years later it turns out there's no cure and it's easily preventable. Not sure why the queers are so made about something that's easier to prevent than the common cold.
04-04-2014 09:21 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
There are vaccinations available to help prevent meningitis. If you're going to engage in activities that make it more likely for you to contract an illness, you should take the proper precautions and get vaccinated.
04-04-2014 11:11 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2014 09:13 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 08:38 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Guys, Meningitis outbreaks happen all the time.

I suppose that means in this country there is someone, somewhere w/ the condition, but it's pretty uncommon.

Again, there were two outbreaks in Houston last year. Again, while there are some new developments in our community that create some concern, I'm not sure that this outbreak is connected to it. The fact that it seems to be concentrated on HIV positive persons is troubling.

There's been a new development based upon the availability of a drug that apparently prevents someone from contracting HIV even if they don't take protection (e.g., using condoms). The drug's use (Truvada) has side effects (and some potentially serious ones - such as increased likelihood of kidney damage if used permanently). That being said, the drug is very valuable (especially for after the fact exposure - you can take it AFTER you've been exposed and it keeps you from getting HIV), but the way it is being used is really, really, troubling. People, in significant numbers, have stopped using condoms. And of course those most likely to just throw the condoms away are precisely those that have already compromised immune systems (such as those already HIV positive). I'm concerned for the first time in a long time about the public health in the community. I actually spoke with one of our public health folks last week about it. He was concerned too.

I'd be careful about making sweeping statements though. The people doing the damage are not those that are getting married, working in political groups, or activists. They tend to be the barflies, the drug users, and assorted assclowns you'd never see anywhere besides the clubs. I call them the idiotic tenth (I don't even think they're that high of a percentage, but you'd be surprised at how much damage a small percentage of bad actors can do).

The most troubling thing about this outbreak is that it is the SECOND outbreak in the LGBT community in LA in 12 months. And LA is ground zero for the 'refuse to use condoms' movement. Even SF is smarter than those clowns.

But that being said, I'm not sure meningitis would be the first angel of a new hazard. I would think that Hepatitis C, D, and E and other STI's would be. Truvada (also known as PReP) does nothing to prevent those ailments.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 11:35 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-04-2014 11:32 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(04-04-2014 11:32 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 09:13 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

Again, there were two outbreaks in Houston last year.

Your provincial anecdotes which simply don't match the greater reality are tiresome to read.
04-04-2014 11:35 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2014 11:11 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  There are vaccinations available to help prevent meningitis. If you're going to engage in activities that make it more likely for you to contract an illness, you should take the proper precautions and get vaccinated.

Yes there are. And there's no evidence this outbreak has been tied to the "refuse to use" movement. But given some of the other trends we've been seeing, this is troubling.
04-04-2014 11:37 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Our campus had a few cases 3-4 years ago. One of them kissin diseases
04-04-2014 12:36 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2014 12:36 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  Our campus had a few cases 3-4 years ago. One of them kissin diseases

Actually meningitis is much easier to get than other things. The contact doesn't have to be sexual or even bodily. It can spread like the flu.
04-04-2014 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.