Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gay Boy Scout leader takes troop to gay pride parade and then gets fired
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Gay Boy Scout leader takes troop to gay pride parade and then gets fired
Good for the Boy Scouts. They nipped this off real quick before it became normal to take troops to gay pride events. If allowed to grow, who knows where this would have ended up.

Quote:A gay scout leader is speaking out afer getting fired from the Boy Scouts of America because he ‘deliberately injected’ his homosexuality into a scout troop.

Geoff McGrath, an Eagle Scout leader who is thought to be the first openly gay scout leader in America, started a new troop through a local church in Seattle’s Rainier Beach neighborhood.

But the 49-year-old was removed from his position because they believed he had breached the national scout policy against gay leaders in the organisation.

Last May, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) changed its policy after a vote decided they would welcome openly gay youths, but not gay leaders.

Up until May 2013 it was against scout rules to join the scouts if you were an openly gay youth.

McGrath, who has been married to his partner for 20 years, said he had been successful in setting up a new scout troop, and said they knew he was gay when they approved his application.

Speaking to King 5 News, he said: ‘They were fully aware of my prior activism, the impact of discrimination has missed them somehow.

It’s extremely disappointing to not be fully supported and defended in my membership’.

McGrath took his troop to a gay pride march in June last year, where they marched and promoted the scout movement by holding American flags and wearing uniforms, but the BSA deemed this to be inappropriate.

McGrath, who is a software developer by day, said: ‘They are complaining that the problem [his homosexuality] is a distraction to Scouting and they don’t seem to understand the distraction is self-inflicted’.

Officials said they did not ask the scout leader about his sexuality when he applied to set up the new troop, known as Troop 98, because it is against their policy, but said they took action once they found out.

'It was then that we became aware of his intentions to make a public statement about his orientation and use our program as a means to further a personal agenda,' Sharon Moulds, from the BSA, said in an email.

Deron Smith, another spokesman for BSA, added: ‘Our policy is that we do not ask people about their sexual orientation, and it’s not an issue until they deliberately inject it into scouting in an inappropriate fashion.’

The Boy Scouts has seen a declining number of members in last ten years, and there are no plans to change membership policy allowing gay adults to be part of the scout movement.

Link
04-02-2014 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
RE: Gay Boy Scout leader takes troop to gay pride parade and then gets fired
Good decision. This guy had no business being a troop leader. Clearly another stunt by the gay rights crowd.
04-02-2014 11:12 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
My only problem is why did it take them nearly a year fire his ass. Should've been fired on the spot.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-02-2014 11:13 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Another infiltrator trying to ruin a good organization. The left loves to find groups like this, boy scouts, and take them counter
to their stated mission goals.
04-02-2014 11:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.