Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

373 in attendance!
Bookmark and Share
HuronRob Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
373 in attendance!
I told you the CIT was a joke and no one would be interested and it looks like I was right. Even if EMU wins the CIT all it means is that they were the best team not invited to the NCAA or NIT tournaments. Accepting a bid to the CIT does nothing, absolutely nothing, for the basketball program. In fact, it may shine a spotlight on just how much this program is underacheiving. This will not win any recruits to EMU.
03-19-2014 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: 373 in attendance!
But our attendance in ANY major sport is a joke and has been for YEARS. And this even with family friendly ticket pricing and free parking. Honestly EMU sports is one of the best entertainment values not just in sports but period. And last year when they did the WINCAR promo ticket prices were $5 lower than some high school games. Really what more do people feel the administration and the Regents should do? And yes other colleges have gone through losing seasons and had more attendance than we have.
03-19-2014 11:56 AM
Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eagles
(03-19-2014 11:56 AM)emu79 Wrote:  But our attendance in ANY major sport is a joke and has been for YEARS. And this even with family friendly ticket pricing and free parking. Honestly EMU sports is one of the best entertainment values not just in sports but period. And last year when they did the WINCAR promo ticket prices were $5 lower than some high school games. Really what more do people feel the administration and the Regents should do? And yes other colleges have gone through losing seasons and had more attendance than we have.

Well Said! Best bang for the buck around yet too few people care!

Great venues and plenty of promotions

Don't have the answers, wish I did
03-19-2014 12:59 PM
Huron Boy Offline
2nd String

(03-19-2014 12:59 PM)Dennis Hoopster Wrote:  
(03-19-2014 11:56 AM)emu79 Wrote:  But our attendance in ANY major sport is a joke and has been for YEARS. And this even with family friendly ticket pricing and free parking. Honestly EMU sports is one of the best entertainment values not just in sports but period. And last year when they did the WINCAR promo ticket prices were $5 lower than some high school games. Really what more do people feel the administration and the Regents should do? And yes other colleges have gone through losing seasons and had more attendance than we have.

Well Said! Best bang for the buck around yet too few people care!

Great venues and plenty of promotions

Don't have the answers, wish I did

To quote Al Davis - "Just win baby!!"
03-19-2014 01:52 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Two answers to the problem and only one is in EMU's control - 1) win more, and 2) increased media coverage.

You can promote something all you want but if the people have no interest then it doesn't matter.
03-19-2014 01:55 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2014 11:21 AM)HuronRob Wrote:  I told you the CIT was a joke and no one would be interested and it looks like I was right. Even if EMU wins the CIT all it means is that they were the best team not invited to the NCAA or NIT tournaments. Accepting a bid to the CIT does nothing, absolutely nothing, for the basketball program. In fact, it may shine a spotlight on just how much this program is underacheiving. This will not win any recruits to EMU.

How can you say it does absolutely nothing? If anything at all, it gives these kids more experience, especially ones that will be counted on next year (Lekan Ajayi). It's also a chance for them to keep competing. You may scoff at the tournament, but it's a tournament nonetheless. I'm glad I still get a chance to watch them play too. I'll miss some of these seniors when they're gone.

The attendance figured suck, and sadly we are all getting used to it, but we still have a team, and we'll have a team next year. Might as well give them the opportunity to keep playing if they can.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 04:26 PM by EagleSam.)
03-19-2014 04:25 PM
Advertisement

emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2014 11:56 AM)emu79 Wrote:  But our attendance in ANY major sport is a joke and has been for YEARS. And this even with family friendly ticket pricing and free parking. Honestly EMU sports is one of the best entertainment values not just in sports but period. And last year when they did the WINCAR promo ticket prices were $5 lower than some high school games. Really what more do people feel the administration and the Regents should do? And yes other colleges have gone through losing seasons and had more attendance than we have.b

Our student where showing up in great numbers until we lost those 2 games in a row to Ohio and Akron. Then they stopped coming because they thought "same old same old" like the last 15 years.
03-19-2014 06:39 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I was one of the 373!
03-19-2014 06:45 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
(03-19-2014 11:21 AM)HuronRob Wrote:  I told you the CIT was a joke and no one would be interested and it looks like I was right. Even if EMU wins the CIT all it means is that they were the best team not invited to the NCAA or NIT tournaments. Accepting a bid to the CIT does nothing, absolutely nothing, for the basketball program. In fact, it may shine a spotlight on just how much this program is underacheiving. This will not win any recruits to EMU.

Disagree completely in regards to the bold areas.

WMU went to the semis of the CBI last year. 3 extra games. 2 of which went into OT (one home and one at Wyoming). I wonder if playing in those games has anything to do with this years success?

Point being, the more experience a team gets, the better. Do well this year, and the confidence will be there next year whether its the NIT, CBI, CIT or the Big Dance.

Eff the attendance issue. There's no way around that problem at the current moment. But EMU's performance doesn't depend on people showing up on a regular basis.

Hoping you guys continue to make noise. Rep the MAC West!
03-19-2014 06:58 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I disagree that this CIT experience is a waste too. At minimum, it can help next year's team learn how to hold on to leads and put teams away. It will also be crucial for the development of next year's core. Keep in mind, Ward, Ajayi, and Combs weren't here last summer which means that they missed just about four months of team building. So the extra time will help.
03-19-2014 08:09 PM
rayEMU Offline
Special Teams

EA3
Thanks for the supportive words. Will be rooting for Western in the NCAA!

Huron Rob:
Eastern competes for recruits with Central, Oakland, and UDM. These other schools could not even make CIT. That is a real easy selling point to make to recruits. (Obviously Western has the biggest selling point right now)
03-19-2014 08:47 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Agree. Complete waste of time. No one aspires to be in this tournament, and 373? My middle school team drew larger crowds. EMU just embarrassed themselves. Sad. Glenn Bryant ripped EMU's fan support on twitter and rightfully so.
03-19-2014 09:15 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Unless athletics and marketing has a SERIOUS plan to have this game marketed well in advance, to the community AND students, I don't want another home game in the CIT. I'm not optimistic.
03-19-2014 09:34 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

To be honest, I'd rather have us lose than suffer another PR nightmare like the Norfolk State game. It deeply saddens me to say that.
03-19-2014 09:35 PM
TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: eastern
What has your little fan group done to get the word out, Frank?
03-19-2014 09:50 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Is the condescension necessary?

We've used our social media to promote the invitation to the tournament and the first round CIT game. We already are dealing with incredibly limited resources this late in the academic year, especially after buying 200 student tickets for the CMU game. We're trying our best. It doesn't help that we weren't informed of the invitation or home game until AFTER the official press releases. We'll do anything we can to help, but remember, we're only students (with jobs, classes, and homework) volunteering our time and resources.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 10:03 PM by FrankAnderson.)
03-19-2014 10:00 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(03-19-2014 09:35 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  To be honest, I'd rather have us lose than suffer another PR nightmare like the Norfolk State game. It deeply saddens me to say that.

PR nightmare? Well, they did win the game, and that's what really matters.
03-19-2014 10:40 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(03-19-2014 10:40 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(03-19-2014 09:35 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  To be honest, I'd rather have us lose than suffer another PR nightmare like the Norfolk State game. It deeply saddens me to say that.

PR nightmare? Well, they did win the game, and that's what really matters.

Thank you. Well said.

Christ we've got some self-hating Eagles around here.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 11:18 PM by holybovine.)
03-19-2014 11:17 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(03-19-2014 09:15 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
Agree. Complete waste of time. No one aspires to be in this tournament, and 373? My middle school team drew larger crowds. EMU just embarrassed themselves. Sad. Glenn Bryant ripped EMU's fan support on twitter and rightfully so.

Glenn Bryant should shut his mouth, play basketball, and be thankful that EMU didn't give him the boot (like they should have) following his personal indiscretions.
03-19-2014 11:21 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Honestly I agree the added playing time of a tournament will probably benefit the women's hoop team more as they had more underclassmen. I'm sorry there isn't more posted here on the program. I think we'll be in the hunt for the championship next year.
03-20-2014 06:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.