Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
I realize there will be no split or 9th FB member but....
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
I realize there will be no split or 9th FB member but....
Pitt is paying the Citadel 750k to play a home game at Heinz. Unfortunately, Pitt makes about $1.5 to $2 million per home game. The payment to the Citadel will eat a big chunk into that.

I guess it's better than paying a full share for a 9th member (according to the ADs and Presidents).

How much did UConn play URI to play at the Rent?
09-21-2006 03:55 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

yeah. if all 8 teams paid an average of 750k for that extra game, then that would be $6 million.

surely a 9th member wouldn't cost more than that?

of all the various schools mentioned, I would be happiest with the simple choice of Navy. I think they fit on a bunch of levels. but unfortunately, it looks like we're stuck at 8 for at least several years.

luckily UC has a long-standing home and away with Miami OH which essentially gives us that 9th member, but it still leaves us with 4 games per year to figure out.
09-21-2006 06:32 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I always liked the idea of Notre Dame and Navy playing four BE games per yr with each school in the league alternating on who you play/where you play etc. So in even yrs a school would play ND and in odd yrs it would play Navy. That would ensure ND would visit each BE football campus once every 4 yrs

-- Navy and Army may be the only expansion candiates that might/could bring enough additional cash to ensure each school's revenue stream would not go down. Both get pretty good ratings and both are very popular with bowls. However, both have a pretty good thing going on right now with beind Indys so I doubt it would happen. If I were the AD at Navy I wouldn't join the BE. Why ruin a good thing??

Jackson
09-21-2006 07:08 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

U dont need no 9th member ... $$$$$ at best will be a wash.
09-21-2006 07:09 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:U dont need no 9th member ... $$$$$ at best will be a wash.

-- Its early to make the kind of call. The 12th game has made scheduling mid-majors to a 1 and done contract a buyers market. 750K for the Citidel. WVU payed over 400K for Eastern Washington. Where is the ceiling for the price of these type of games? I don't think we are near it yet. How much will that price increase in 5yrs?

Jackson
09-21-2006 07:17 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

goodknightfl Wrote:U dont need no 9th member ... $$$$$ at best will be a wash.
What, no Buffalo comments, Martian?
09-21-2006 09:33 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

BJUnklFkr Wrote:
goodknightfl Wrote:U dont need no 9th member ... $$$$$ at best will be a wash.
What, no Buffalo comments, Martian?

05-stirthepot I think it would be smart to add buffalo ... but U dont need to add buffalo. 02-13-banana
09-21-2006 10:33 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

Jackson1011 Wrote:I always liked the idea of Notre Dame and Navy playing four BE games per yr with each school in the league alternating on who you play/where you play etc. So in even yrs a school would play ND and in odd yrs it would play Navy. That would ensure ND would visit each BE football campus once every 4 yrs

-- Navy and Army may be the only expansion candiates that might/could bring enough additional cash to ensure each school's revenue stream would not go down. Both get pretty good ratings and both are very popular with bowls. However, both have a pretty good thing going on right now with beind Indys so I doubt it would happen. If I were the AD at Navy I wouldn't join the BE. Why ruin a good thing??
Jackson

If that were the arrangement, then I'd be fine with it. But Notre Dame won't even do that. The so-called arrangement they made with us was a sham. They have no intention of playing everyone. This is made obvious by the fact that the Big East left it to Notre Dame to schedule these games one by one with the schools, rather than building Notre Dame's games into the conference schedule - thus locking them in to a larger contractual agreement.
09-21-2006 09:51 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Bearcat 1984 Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:I always liked the idea of Notre Dame and Navy playing four BE games per yr with each school in the league alternating on who you play/where you play etc. So in even yrs a school would play ND and in odd yrs it would play Navy. That would ensure ND would visit each BE football campus once every 4 yrs

Jackson

If that were the arrangement, then I'd be fine with it. But Notre Dame won't even do that. The so-called arrangement they made with us was a sham. They have no intention of playing everyone. This is made obvious by the fact that the Big East left it to Notre Dame to schedule these games one by one with the schools, rather than building Notre Dame's games into the conference schedule - thus locking them in to a larger contractual agreement.

Notre Dame has to do what is best for Notre Dame and I don't fault them for it but really what do the Big East Football Schools outside of Pitt, Rutgers and maybe Syracuse has to gain with ND in the league.

Like I said earlier, I as a UofL fan would much rather have a Home and Home with Miami or even Florida/Florida State then ND. We are in talks to extend our series with Miami and I hope that comes about. Until then we are stuck with schools backing out on us and scrambling to try to get 5 OOC games in a 12 game schedule.
09-21-2006 09:55 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
best solution
Notre Dame seems to want to play long term series with Pitt and Rutgers for 2 of their 3 "Big East" games and then rotate Syracuse, West Virginia, and maybe Louisville in the other game. They show no love for UConn, Cincinnati, or USF. It is time to get used to this idea because nobody can make Notre Dame do anything they don't want to do. That's life and we're stuck with it.

The Big East needs to forget about mix-and-match "arrangements" that can be broken by a selfish team's whim. It's not healthy. Now you mention Navy playing 4 teams and someone else playing the other 4 teams. We know Notre Dame will never do that. Army is the only other option but they don't seem to be interested. The best solution is going to 18 teams with 9 on each side.
09-22-2006 02:19 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Like I said earlier, I as a UofL fan would much rather have a Home and Home with Miami or even Florida/Florida State then ND. We are in talks to extend our series with Miami and I hope that comes about. Until then we are stuck with schools backing out on us and scrambling to try to get 5 OOC games in a 12 game schedule.

-- Agree Maize...as a WVU fan I would much rather have our series with penn st resume then a few games with ND...but I think most of us look to ND for assistance because they seemingly benefit a lot more from there relationship with the BE then we do by having them in the BE....

Quote:Notre Dame seems to want to play long term series with Pitt and Rutgers for 2 of their 3 "Big East" games and then rotate Syracuse, West Virginia, and maybe Louisville in the other game. They show no love for UConn, Cincinnati, or USF. It is time to get used to this idea because nobody can make Notre Dame do anything they don't want to do. That's life and we're stuck with it.

-- From what I have read, the schools ND is interested in playing are Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse and Uconn....A lot of the UL fans have said in the past that something is in the works but I have not seen it in print...USF, UC and WVU get no play at all, at least according to the media

-- ND is playing Pitt because its a traditional game.....For the other three I would expect for ND to push for the moving of the "BE home games" away from campus and towards the Meadow lands were a larger, more ND friendly crowd could attend

-- WVU does not fit the discription of what ND is looking for at all....WV is 90%+ Protestant....there isn't a huge ND fan base to appeal to here....and the only place to play is at Mountaineer field which assurdly will be hostile....

--In my view NDs goal here is easy "Ws" and getting as many games as possible for the northeastern alums...so I would be suprised if they visted UL at all

Jackson
09-22-2006 06:42 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

[quote="Jackson1011"][quote]
-- ND is playing Pitt because its a traditional game.....For the other three I would expect for ND to push for the moving of the "BE home games" away from campus and towards the Meadow lands were a larger, more ND friendly crowd could attend

-- WVU does not fit the discription of what ND is looking for at all....WV is 90%+ Protestant....there isn't a huge ND fan base to appeal to here....and the only place to play is at Mountaineer field which assurdly will be hostile....

Jackson[/quote]

Crazy suggestion.

Would WVU ever consider to play Notre Dame IN Pittsburgh?

Neutral Field...WVU would probably easily sellout 1/2 of the stadium (ND gets the other half).

Big $$$$$$$ for the City...as most fans will be traveling in from out-of-town...

Wasn't sure if that would be even possible at Heinz Field...as yes, Pitt plays their home games there...but Pitt doesn't "own" the stadium.

Would the City of Pittsburgh turn down a big game like that?

KL
09-22-2006 06:57 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Crazy suggestion.

Would WVU ever consider to play Notre Dame IN Pittsburgh?

Neutral Field...WVU would probably easily sellout 1/2 of the stadium (ND gets the other half).

Big $$$$$$$ for the City...as most fans will be traveling in from out-of-town...

Wasn't sure if that would be even possible at Heinz Field...as yes, Pitt plays their home games there...but Pitt doesn't "own" the stadium.

Would the City of Pittsburgh turn down a big game like that?

-- Interesting idea....IMO

A) Would the game in Pittsburgh be considered a WVU home game on the contract? IN the past WVU has been relunct to play "home games" away from Morgantown in football

B) I have no idea what the situation is with Pitt, Steelers and Heinz Field...but I would guess there would be some resistance to the idea...Pitt administrators would be screaming bloody murder

C)How would the gate be divided? Usually games on neutral sites are divided equally. However, that would probably mean less money for WVU because the Mountaineers usually have pretty good attendnace. Case in point is West Virginia drew 60k for the Eastern Washington game. The profit from that game would be probably be greater then a game in 70k Heinz Field were the gate has to be divided into two.

D) An idea that may have a better chance at working is playing the game in Washington DC....There would be no issues with Pitt, the staduim is bigger so the gate being split would be larger..I'm sure ND has a fan base there and WVU has a large alumuni/fan presence in DC and Western Maryland. Also, DC is not far from WVs Eastern Panhandle and is less then 3 hrs away from Morgantown. In my mind's eye I am picturing something similar to the Va Tech/USC game in Fed Ex Field a few yrs back. But again...I think for WVU to agree to it...the contact would have to be a 1-1-1....one game in south bend, one in Morgantown and one in DC

Jackson
09-22-2006 07:30 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.