UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who should be Mr. Basketball? Dallas County's Wm Lee earned my vote (Jeff Sentel)
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Who should be Mr. Basketball? Dallas County's Wm Lee earned my vote (Jeff Sentel)
03-06-2014 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

RE: Who should be Mr. Basketball? Dallas County's Wm Lee earned my vote (Jeff Sentel)
Surprising, considering Lee didn't sign with one of Sentel's preferred schools.
03-06-2014 10:39 AM
uab blazer 01 Offline
1st String

RE: Who should be Mr. Basketball? Dallas County's Wm Lee earned my vote (Jeff Sentel)
Alot of very much deserved praise in that article. Maybe Lee will get us back to prominence where we dont have to hear high school bball coaches say this anymore:
" He's got a big big upside," said J.O. Johnson coach Jack Doss, who's won seven state titles. "I don't know why a player like that doesn't end up at an Alabama or Auburn. He could really help those two programs. He's got tremendous upside and sure showed some real savvy against us."
03-06-2014 10:52 AM
Jball Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-06-2014 10:52 AM)uab blazer 01 Wrote:  Alot of very much deserved praise in that article. Maybe Lee will get us back to prominence where we dont have to hear high school bball coaches say this anymore:
" He's got a big big upside," said J.O. Johnson coach Jack Doss, who's won seven state titles. "I don't know why a player like that doesn't end up at an Alabama or Auburn. He could really help those two programs. He's got tremendous upside and sure showed some real savvy against us."

Doss was the coach at Hayes when the Buck Johnson was there. He didn't like UAB at all. Based on the above, things haven't changed.
03-06-2014 11:11 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-06-2014 10:52 AM)uab blazer 01 Wrote:  Alot of very much deserved praise in that article. Maybe Lee will get us back to prominence where we dont have to hear high school bball coaches say this anymore:

Because he wants to play at a school that gives a damn about basketball?

Just spitballing here.
03-06-2014 11:13 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
Jack Doss = Egocentric myopic idiot that thinks he is a rockstar among coaches. UAB will never get a player he coaches. Which is a moot point as he wouldn't expect his players to go to class and actually qualify to get into UAB.
03-06-2014 11:24 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
JO Johnson can't produce D-1 quality players because it isn't in a rich suburb. So there's always that.

I don't care what this ******* says? He didn't end up at Alabama or Auburn because he chose UAB over both of them. Maybe he knows something that some idiot coach at a 4A high school doesn't.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 11:39 AM by blazers9911.)
03-06-2014 11:39 AM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

Not that it matters, but some of J.O. Johnson's team has made it down for a couple of UAB's games. John Petty is one of them. Top player in state for 2017.
03-06-2014 11:42 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

It looked like they had a couple of good prospects.
03-06-2014 11:44 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Do high school coaches even have that much influence with good players anymore? I thought AAU coaches have more influence now.
03-06-2014 11:45 AM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

John petty was the freshman running past Lee for dunks for 3 quarters.
03-06-2014 11:45 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

When you look at the top prospects from this past year, almost all of them were AAU players.

They seemed to be influenced more by their teammates & AAU coaches instead of their high school coaches.
03-06-2014 11:48 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Jack Doss is actually a pretty awesome guy. One of the best high school coaches Alabama has ever had.
03-06-2014 11:49 AM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

Shoot, Even Lee's high school coach is a bammer. Didn't matter. Still holding out hope Lee doesn't back out of his NLI and then go to SMU or UGA.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 11:53 AM by BlazeN'Bham.)
03-06-2014 11:50 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(03-06-2014 11:50 AM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Shoot, Even Lee's high school coach is a bammer. Didn't matter. Still holding out hope Lee doesn't back out of his NLI and then go to SMU or UGA.

Holding out hope? He's given no indication of wanting out of his NLI.
03-06-2014 12:12 PM
Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
(03-06-2014 11:50 AM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Shoot, Even Lee's high school coach is a bammer. Didn't matter. Still holding out hope Lee doesn't back out of his NLI and then go to SMU or UGA.

Huh? Ugh!!!! and what are you talking about, he signed the NLI to play for the Blazers, he could have signed with Ga. or SMU if he wanted to play at Ga or SMU.
Sounds like why play for Blazers when you can play for Alabama or Auburn, hey they could use him talk...
03-06-2014 02:43 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

[Image: Bad-Luck-Schleprock_yahoo.jpg]
03-06-2014 02:47 PM
backyardblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
(03-06-2014 11:24 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  Jack Doss = Egocentric myopic idiot that thinks he is a rockstar among coaches. UAB will never get a player he coaches. Which is a moot point as he wouldn't expect his players to go to class and actually qualify to get into UAB.

The Jack Doss I knew at Hayes HS was a great coach, great guy, and a humble, Christian man, to boot. He helped a lot of troubled kids straighten their life out, both on and off the basketball court. He had no issue with UAB and was fond of Coach Bartow.

Not saying he couldn't have changed, but your description makes him sound like a different person.
03-06-2014 05:43 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(03-06-2014 05:43 PM)backyardblazer Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 11:24 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  Jack Doss = Egocentric myopic idiot that thinks he is a rockstar among coaches. UAB will never get a player he coaches. Which is a moot point as he wouldn't expect his players to go to class and actually qualify to get into UAB.

The Jack Doss I knew at Hayes HS was a great coach, great guy, and a humble, Christian man, to boot. He helped a lot of troubled kids straighten their life out, both on and off the basketball court. He had no issue with UAB and was fond of Coach Bartow.

Not saying he couldn't have changed, but your description makes him sound like a different person.

Is he the Jack Doss that was coach at Butler high in Huntsville?
I found the answer and it is the same man. Doss may have helped hundreds of kids and might be a great guy. But I do know that Doss and his supporters place an undue amount of pressure on educators to pass kids so that they will remain eligible to play for his team. What I know as fact is " do not be the teacher in the way when he wants a kid on his team."
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 07:09 PM by BlazerPhil.)
03-06-2014 06:51 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I just want to know in what myopic fantasy world is UAB not one of the "big" programs in the state?
03-08-2014 08:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.