Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple board saves rowing programs
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
The Board met today and gave their final decisions on which of the seven teams will be cut based on recommendations by the president of Temple. The City of Philadelphia agreed to put up $2 million and a Temple board member agreed to put up $3.5. For a $5.5 million renovation of the city owned boathouse that Temple had been using for many years but got condemned by the city. So both the men's and women's rowing teams have been saved. Not a dime of the universities money is being spent on this project.
Unfortunately the president refused to budge on the other 5 teams and they will be gone come July 1. Cutting baseball and softball is really disappointing since the Camden Riversharks, Phillies and the parks department all volunteered facilities for these sports teams.
Men's gymnastics has raised money but the president doesn't want them to share facilities with the women's team.
Men's outdoor and indoor track are both gone. I ran track for a year at the school myself. It's a cheap sport. You load the team into a van and off you go to the meet.
I am going to be bitter about this for a long time.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 10:40 PM by Philly Brian.)
02-24-2014 10:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: Temple board votes to save rowing programs
One other comment from me on this. We were all told that Temple would receive a huge financial boost by joining the BE/AAC. Temple would get a nice lump of money from the departed schools we were told. Heck, the BE was not only waivering Temple's admission fee but funneling up to $8 million to help Temple football get up to speed.
We were told that Temple would get a nice cut of bowl, TV and NCAA bball money by upgrading our conference.
Essentially, Temple athletics had just hit the lottery and the non-revenue teams would benefit financially as well.
Now they say that athletic department is overextended to the tune of over $3 million per year. I get letters from the school asking for money donations. In the past I belonged to both the Owl (booster) Club and the football support club.
So what are the odds that a former track guy like myself will respond the next time I am asked to give?
02-24-2014 10:39 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: Temple board saves rowing programs
i find it strange the school and city were more interested in saving rowing more than baseball
02-24-2014 10:57 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(02-24-2014 10:39 PM)Philly Brian Wrote:  So what are the odds that a former track guy like myself will respond the next time I am asked to give?

You've never given **** to Temple. Congrats on your $20 donations, Brian. You are the king of comped tickets.
02-24-2014 11:50 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(02-24-2014 11:50 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-24-2014 10:39 PM)Philly Brian Wrote:  So what are the odds that a former track guy like myself will respond the next time I am asked to give?

You've never given **** to Temple. Congrats on your $20 donations, Brian. You are the king of comped tickets.

Truth -I see people bitching about SMU killing men's track but they don't give back . They get a $200,000 education but don't donate.
02-24-2014 11:53 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(02-24-2014 11:53 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

Truth -I see people bitching about SMU killing men's track but they don't give back . They get a $200,000 education but don't donate.

He loves to do this and throw out complaints about our AD and president while reminiscing about our former AD (probably because he got him free tickets). This dude actually does not go to games when it's 'too cold' 03-lmfao
02-25-2014 01:48 AM
DUPERGREENIE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TULANE
(02-25-2014 01:48 AM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-24-2014 11:53 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

He loves to do this and throw out complaints about our AD and president while reminiscing about our former AD (probably because he got him free tickets). This dude actually does not go to games when it's 'too cold' 03-lmfao

DANG JHG!!! tell us how you really feel lol.05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot
02-25-2014 02:17 AM
Advertisement

owlfan2272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple Owls
(02-24-2014 10:57 PM)pesik Wrote:  i find it strange the school and city were more interested in saving rowing more than baseball

I don't because they raised more money. Putting up 5.5 million on the table is a way of saying we are serious. Baseball didn't raise anything and rowing has more of a chance to be successful than the baseball program. Also once you unleash PhillyBrian on a message board there is no turning back, expect 50 posts about these cuts in the next two weeks by him. He should seriously author a book about the subject as he has written enough words about it, the only problem is the book would be extremely repetitive.
02-25-2014 02:25 AM
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
But ... I am one of the few who post that actually earned a varsity letter in my sport. Yep... I used to attend football games back in the 70s as a kid at the old Temple Stadium. I have also attended various sports such as baseball and volleyball. I have had both football and bball season tix for many years. I have also donated thousands to the Owl Club.
Part of the problem with Temple as you guys can see by the criticism I get is that Temple relies on the same people year after year. The fan base remains small because they don't go out and get new people. It's much easier to keep going after Philly Brian despite his 40 years of support... Amazingly after 40 years people come on here and criticize me. Most are lucky to have been Temple sports fans for 5 years ...
Go figure ...
02-26-2014 12:48 AM
Advertisement

JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
As a fellow Rower happy to see the program continue. Katrina ravaged ours and we're back. God speed temple rowers.
02-26-2014 12:53 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(02-26-2014 12:53 AM)JDTulane Wrote:  As a fellow Rower happy to see the program continue. Katrina ravaged ours and we're back. God speed temple rowers.

HERE HERE.
02-26-2014 01:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.