Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas Monthly Article Dan Jenkins a "A Dean of Sportwriters" 64 years plus
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
Texas Monthly Article Dan Jenkins a "A Dean of Sportwriters" 64 years plus
His views on todays CFB its state, realignment and other views he has on modern day sports.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/dan-je...ing-sports
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 07:11 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
02-20-2014 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

RE: Texas Monthly Article Dan Jenkins a "A Dean of Sportwriters" 64 years plus
Found the views expressed poignant on how OU HC was the best job in America, in comparison to UT's HC job.
02-20-2014 07:45 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Some great quotes:

JS: That whole romantic newspaperman’s world is vanishing now.

DJ: There’s no there there—there’s no bar to go to, you can’t smoke, there are only two or three people in the press box that aren’t morons.

JS: With all the concern over head injuries, people are starting to suggest that football itself is politically incorrect. Do you think the handwringing about concussions is overblown?

DJ: Yes. It’s a tough game, and they know what they’re getting into. But I do worry about what’s going to result from that. My greatest fear, and I won’t live to see it happen, is for the United States men to win the World Cup [in] soccer. It would start something.

JS: I think it’s already started.

DJ: A little bit. I go back to something someone else said: “I can't get interested in a sport where nobody falls on a loose ball.”

JS: You write that pro football today is what college football once was.

DJ: Just in terms of coverage. People your age think there’s always been pro football around Texas, but there wasn’t. The Cowboys came in 1960. If you wanted to see baseball, you went to St. Louis. We had high school football, which was enormous. College football was king. Golf was semi-king. Track and field was a major sport—now you can’t find a result from one of the relays in the paper. Pro football did it. Pro football ate newspapers alive. So did baseball. And the NBA, which I hate.
02-20-2014 09:26 PM
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

(02-20-2014 09:26 PM)bullet Wrote:  Some great quotes:

JS: That whole romantic newspaperman’s world is vanishing now.

DJ: There’s no there there—there’s no bar to go to, you can’t smoke, there are only two or three people in the press box that aren’t morons.

JS: With all the concern over head injuries, people are starting to suggest that football itself is politically incorrect. Do you think the handwringing about concussions is overblown?

DJ: Yes. It’s a tough game, and they know what they’re getting into. But I do worry about what’s going to result from that. My greatest fear, and I won’t live to see it happen, is for the United States men to win the World Cup [in] soccer. It would start something.

JS: I think it’s already started.

DJ: A little bit. I go back to something someone else said: “I can't get interested in a sport where nobody falls on a loose ball.”

JS: You write that pro football today is what college football once was.

DJ: Just in terms of coverage. People your age think there’s always been pro football around Texas, but there wasn’t. The Cowboys came in 1960. If you wanted to see baseball, you went to St. Louis. We had high school football, which was enormous. College football was king. Golf was semi-king. Track and field was a major sport—now you can’t find a result from one of the relays in the paper. Pro football did it. Pro football ate newspapers alive. So did baseball. And the NBA, which I hate.
In some ways I feel we are the poorer for it.
02-20-2014 10:14 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
"Semi-Tough" is a great novel. Sort of the comedic/gonzo version of North Dallas Forty.

The movie with Burt Reynolds and Kris Kristofferson was decent but several notches below the book...
02-20-2014 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.