Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bleacher Report: Is the death of the B12 inevitable
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
Exclamation Bleacher Report: Is the death of the B12 inevitable
Article on B12 and it's possible demise...unless.

url:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/19624...inevitable
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 10:28 AM by 1845 Bear.)
02-17-2014 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Chew on this. Is the death of the B12 inevitable
As long as Texas (and OU, to a lesser extent) are happy, the Big <12 will be fine. The other 8 members have nowhere to go unless they are tagging along with those one (or both) of the 2 big dogs.
02-17-2014 03:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
The death of the Big 10 is inevitable. The only question is how long it takes. 10 years, 150 years? Same for the SEC.

This is a really stupid article, not worth the time to read. There is no reason to assume 10 members is too small since 10 was about the maximum size for a conference in the 60s-80s. And there is no reason to assume FBS wants an even number of power conferences. It had an even 6 just about a year ago.
02-17-2014 03:30 PM
FreshPrinceOfDarkness Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas Tech
If the Big 12's demise is inevitable, I will at least enjoy the round-robin ride to its grave. RR scheduling much more exciting and grueling than unbalanced conference divisional play.
02-17-2014 03:42 PM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
An expansion of the 4-team playoff to an 8-team playoff makes the need to reduce the number of power conferences down to four almost moot. There is no inherent need for 16x4.
02-17-2014 03:47 PM
Proud Bammer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Yet Another NC
Bleacher Report is the AAC of sports journalism.
02-17-2014 03:51 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-17-2014 03:30 PM)bullet Wrote:  The death of the Big 10 is inevitable. The only question is how long it takes. 10 years, 150 years? Same for the SEC.

This is a really stupid article, not worth the time to read. There is no reason to assume 10 members is too small since 10 was about the maximum size for a conference in the 60s-80s. And there is no reason to assume FBS wants an even number of power conferences. It had an even 6 just about a year ago.

The first time I read the Bleacher Report I thought it was a parody of Sports Journalism and almost appreciated it as such. When I found out they were serious I got an even bigger laugh. At least this one was fairly well written, even if its assumptions, as usual, were way off base. I have read, or tried to read, some of their reports where the grammar and sentence structure was so poor I wondered if their beat writer was a 4th grade kid.

There is only one scenario where the Big 12 goes away and that is (get ready a big if is coming here) "if" at least eight of their teams simultaneously get an offer too good to refuse.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 03:54 PM by JRsec.)
02-17-2014 03:52 PM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
Osborne's comments have some missing context (as does the entire article for that matter).

"We like the Big 12. We’re not looking to leave. We’re not mad at anybody. We’re not upset about anything..."

The Cornhuskers’ officially fled to the Big Ten just 10 days later.

For the rest of the story:

The "partnership" disintegrated June 11 when the school rather flamboyantly and pointedly announced its divorce from Texas and the Big 12. Somewhere in there was language about joining the Big Ten but that was almost subtext to what was happening.

Basically, given an ultimatum to declare its loyalty to the Big 12 (led by Texas), Nebraska shoved its middle finger in the air and instead accepted an invite from the Big Ten 6½ weeks ago. The Huskers begin play next season.

It seems as though the author was not alive to remember these events, way back 3 1/2 years ago.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 04:01 PM by SeaBlue.)
02-17-2014 03:55 PM
Hoosier Hysteria Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Indiana
The only way the Big 12 stays intact is they can pick off an FSU, Clemson or Miami from ACC. I really don't see that happening. What I do see happening is Kansas leaves for BIG. If this occurs then MIZZU comes into play because they want to renew their rivalry with Kansas. There is an outside chance the BIG brings Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma in as a package deal. Also I could see either the PAC or SEC picking up same candidates plus Oklahoma State. A long shot, the ACC gives Texas a ND type deal or Texas goes Independent.
02-17-2014 04:13 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-17-2014 03:51 PM)Proud Bammer Wrote:  Bleacher Report is the AAC of sports journalism.

Need I remind you that the AAC champ defeated the Big XII champ in the Fiesta Bowl this year?

Just sayin'
02-17-2014 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
(02-17-2014 04:13 PM)Hoosier Hysteria Wrote:  The only way the Big 12 stays intact is they can pick off an FSU, Clemson or Miami from ACC. I really don't see that happening. What I do see happening is Kansas leaves for BIG. If this occurs then MIZZU comes into play because they want to renew their rivalry with Kansas. There is an outside chance the BIG brings Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma in as a package deal. Also I could see either the PAC or SEC picking up same candidates plus Oklahoma State. A long shot, the ACC gives Texas a ND type deal or Texas goes Independent.

Also he mentioned the 2 Arizona Schools, but I don't see them leaving the P12 for B12. I believe Arkansas would be a better target. Lot of people believe they cannot be pried away from the mighty SEC, they may get tired of being an also ran and figure they have a better chance to get into a playoff by playing in a weaker B12 and winning it, and there are some historical ties from the old SWC days..
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 04:23 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
02-17-2014 04:17 PM
Advertisement

Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Bleacher Report is the NATIONAL ENQUIRER of sports journalism.
02-17-2014 04:26 PM
The Real LHS81 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
(02-17-2014 03:51 PM)Proud Bammer Wrote:  Bleacher Report is the AAC of sports journalism.

Or the SEC Basketball of sports journalism. . . Kentucky and Florida's back must be getting tired from carrying the rest of the conference07-coffee3
02-17-2014 05:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-17-2014 05:56 PM)The Real LHS81 Wrote:  

Or the SEC Basketball of sports journalism. . . Kentucky and Florida's back must be getting tired from carrying the rest of the conference07-coffee3

Odd that the decline of SEC basketball to mid-major level coincides with their unprecedented football success. Its hard to imagine UK winning 21 games and not going to the NCAA like last year. Is their a cause and effect relationship? Basketball players don't want to go to "football" schools? Or maybe the good athletes are more likely than usual to choose football.
02-17-2014 06:03 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(02-17-2014 06:03 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 05:56 PM)The Real LHS81 Wrote:  

Odd that the decline of SEC basketball to mid-major level coincides with their unprecedented football success. Its hard to imagine UK winning 21 games and not going to the NCAA like last year. Is their a cause and effect relationship? Basketball players don't want to go to "football" schools? Or maybe the good athletes are more likely than usual to choose football.

Or maybe when institutional priorities are so focused on one sport that interest in the other major sport suffers. There's not too many schools that are regularly good in both football and men's basketball.
02-17-2014 06:09 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This article lost any validity when it stated the B12 could attract Arizona and Arizona State. For better or for worse, the B12 is stuck at 10 teams and this is the horse the B12 will have to ride.

The B12, even at 10 teams, will receive a bigger payout from Sugar Bowl than the 14 team ACC does from Orange Bowl. So, the ten team B12 is not to be under estimated.

My guess is that there is going to be so much money involved, that the 4 team national playoff will be expanded to 8 teams...for the more potential monies. So I don't think the rationale of 4 national BCS conferences because of a 4 team national playoff will remain valid in the future.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 06:22 PM by Tallgrass.)
02-17-2014 06:13 PM
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
If the Big 12 revenue streams fall behind it will die. If it maintains equal or better revenue streams, as it does currently, it will be fine. It really just comes down to that. Number of teams really doesn't matter in the equation.
02-17-2014 06:15 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Quote: Who is Miami's rival in the ACC?

Um....Florida State. It's kind of a big deal.

Bleacher report is definitely the Big 10 baseball of sports reporting.

The L10 is stuck the way it is and will only dissolve when and if UT decides they've had enough of it. Yeah it sucks for the rest that an entire conference is totally dependent on one team to survive but it is what it is.
02-17-2014 06:27 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Texas Texad Texas Texas

And their band of merry idiots.
02-17-2014 06:35 PM
westwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CFB
Yep
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 06:51 PM by westwolf.)
02-17-2014 06:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.