Athletes aren't superheroes
02-12-2014 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Athletes aren't superheroes
Hits most of the typical points that come up with the situation. I do like that he phrased it in terms of how can a parent address it with a child, though I'm not sure he followed up well with that. I disagree with his main point that before a person judges him, they should consider athletes are not "superheroes." That is irrelevant.

When a person does something like DUI, it is fair and responsible to consider they are not as reliable as you might have thought. A person should think that without feeling in the least intimidated or condemned for "judging."

Also missed, the point of the suspension. The player demonstrated that he was not on his toes as well as he should have been, in the given social situation, he was less reliable. The suspension is a memory means, so that the next time the player gets into that social situation, he has something in the forefront of his memory to give him enough pause that he can consider another option, presuming there's not an issue of addiction. The primary purpose of the suspension is to help the player; not "punish" the player, not make the University or Coach look accountable, not to role model. Those are secondary.
02-12-2014 05:01 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-12-2014 05:01 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  The suspension is a memory means, so that the next time the player gets into that social situation, he has something in the forefront of his memory to give him enough pause that he can consider another option, presuming there's not an issue of addiction. The primary purpose of the suspension is to help the player; not "punish" the player, not make the University or Coach look accountable, not to role model. Those are secondary.

Spent some time pondering the "one day is not enough" reaction of many (my initial reaction as well) and came up with exactly this^. I probably couldn't have articulated it so well, though. Hope PP is reading, because this is exactly correct.
02-12-2014 05:30 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(02-12-2014 05:30 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 05:01 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  The suspension is a memory means, so that the next time the player gets into that social situation, he has something in the forefront of his memory to give him enough pause that he can consider another option, presuming there's not an issue of addiction. The primary purpose of the suspension is to help the player; not "punish" the player, not make the University or Coach look accountable, not to role model. Those are secondary.

Spent some time pondering the "one day is not enough" reaction of many (my initial reaction as well) and came up with exactly this^. I probably couldn't have articulated it so well, though. Hope PP is reading, because this is exactly correct.

sorry, but if you want a true teachable moment for the young man then that's even more reason to make the suspension substantial. A one game suspension is a slap on the wrist. Lesson learned is that a DUI is a mild inconvenience, no biggie.

read in the Blade Coach K will have JD on the bench to motivate and support his team. Really? Ohio suspended a player today for an academic violation and left him in Athens. Drummonds is being absolutely coddled and handled with kid gloves.

I'm not saying he should be kicked off the team but Coach K is sending the wrong message to his players. This can lead to bigger problems down the road.

regardless, good luck tonight, hope its another fun game for all.
02-12-2014 06:53 PM
Advertisement

tolfbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo/Browns
What he did is wrong. If it would of been an away game he would of been left home. I like him on the bench. Good reminder.
02-12-2014 07:22 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-12-2014 07:22 PM)tolfbfan Wrote:  What he did is wrong. If it would of been an away game he would of been left home. I like him on the bench. Good reminder.

I would have done the same as perimeterpost but I think you're right, much harder to sit on the bench knowing you're not going to be able to help/play than to sit in the dorm.

I do still think one game makes a joke of DUI.
02-12-2014 09:31 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Best way to twist the dagger is to make the player watch others playing. Plus why give him an easy out by sitting in the lockeroom. Make him go out in front of 6k people who know he is a dumb***. Let him look those fans and kids in the eye and know he is wearing street cloths. He hasn't gone to court yet, rember we do have due process. There may be more games coming down the road if convicted. How many games did Solich miss?
02-12-2014 11:41 PM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
That was a really well done piece.
02-13-2014 12:15 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

If he had run over a puppy or a kitty, duh'local would be all over this.
02-13-2014 04:52 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
(02-13-2014 04:52 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  If he had run over a puppy or a kitty, duh'local would be all over this.

As they should be.
02-13-2014 04:53 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2014 04:53 PM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 04:52 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  If he had run over a puppy or a kitty, duh'local would be all over this.

As they should be.

So the DUI doesn't bother you but if someone accidently runs over a puppy or kitty then they should be front page fodder.

Ok

Different strokes.
02-13-2014 05:06 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Did I miss the part wher SR said the DUI didn't bother him?
02-13-2014 05:32 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2014 05:32 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Did I miss the part wher SR said the DUI didn't bother him?

Threw that in for dramatic effect.
02-13-2014 05:45 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
(02-13-2014 05:32 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Did I miss the part wher SR said the DUI didn't bother him?

No you didn't H2O because I never said it. Thank-you.
02-15-2014 12:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.