Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
What do you consider a good opening weekend for the league?
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
What do you consider a good opening weekend for the league?
WVU and UofL must win.

Almost as important as those victories are the games USF and UC are playing. If either of them lose it is extremely embarassing to the conference. UCONN to a lesser extent.

That said I think those contests listed above are fairly close to givens except for the 'rivalry factor' in the case of WVU and Louisville.

The games that will make this weekend or break it for the Big East are the middling teams against middling teams from the ACC. If RU can take out UNC and Pitt can best UVA I'll call it a good to great weekend. If SU can take down Wake Forest on top of those other wins then its an outstanding weekend assuming UofL and West Virginia take care of business and the Division 1-AA games don't backfire. If we go 1-2 in those ACC games its a disapointing weekend. If we go 0-3 its a bad weekend. I think those 3 games set the tone.
08-30-2006 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

The Pitt game is huge....its @ home for the Panthers...the 1976 Pitt national championship team (including Tony Dorsett) is going to be in attendance...The BE needs another one of its "name" schools to step up...probably not going to happen for Syracuse so we need to really root for Pitt

Jackson
08-30-2006 01:41 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Re: What do you consider a good opening weekend for the leag
Agree with your entire post, except this:

L-yes Wrote:That said I think those contests listed above are fairly close to givens except for the 'rivalry factor' in the case of WVU and Louisville.
Even with a rivalry factor, UL and WVU each have plenty of motivation to steamroll all the way to their Nov. 2 matchup. Yeah, I guess all bets are usually off in a rivalry game, but I just don't see it with these two instances.

Regarding the BE/ACC matchups, I feel pretty good about Pitt's and RU's chances.
08-30-2006 02:18 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Must Win Five
Our teams must win five games this weekend at minimum ...

West Virginia over Marshall in their state game
Louisville over Kentucky in their state game
Cincinnati over Division I-AA Eastern Kentucky
Connecticut over Division I-AA Rhode Island
South Florida over Division I-AA McNeese State

It would be great to take the two games against the ACC ...

Pittsburgh hosting Virginia
Rutgers at North Carolina

Nobody knows what will happen in the other ACC contest ...

Syracuse at Wake Forest

I am hoping for a sweep but 6-2 is the minimum acceptable.
08-30-2006 03:40 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

I'd say we could live with Rutgirls and Syrupcuse loses. I hope not, but those won't hurt to badly. UNC is competitive, and no one expects Syrupcuse to win any games this season. All that being said, 6-2 is a good start.
08-30-2006 05:27 PM
Advertisement

stevej5
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Re: Must Win Five
Krocker Krapp Wrote:Our teams must win five games this weekend at minimum ...

Syracuse at Wake Forest

Yes, with that lineup of patsy opponents 6-2 is the bare minimum for acceptability.

Really, 4 of those 5 initial games don't even count the opponents are so weak. The BE is involved in 4 reasonably competitive games - Lousville, Pitt, Rutgers, and Syracuse, and they need to win at least 2 of them.
08-30-2006 07:56 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
patsy lists
stevej5 Wrote:

Syracuse at Wake Forest

Yes, with that lineup of patsy opponents 6-2 is the bare minimum for acceptability.

Really, 4 of those 5 initial games don't even count the opponents are so weak. The BE is involved in 4 reasonably competitive games - Lousville, Pitt, Rutgers, and Syracuse, and they need to win at least 2 of them.
Is there any flipping body that you don't consider a "patsy" Stevengay5? What are your predictions? What do you think the game scores will be? How about the over/under? Do you actually comment on games or do you just sit around hurting what remains of your brain by trying to think of new ways to slander the Big East? Your 15 minutes are almost over.

Are these also "patsy" games in your opinion? Georgia vs. Western Kentucky? Florida vs. Southern Miss? Alabama vs. Hawaii? LSU vs. Louisiana-Lafayette? Mississippi vs. Memphis? BC vs. Central Michigan? ****** Tech vs. Northeastern? Clemson vs. Florida Atlantic? North Carolina State vs. Appalachian State? Maryland vs. William & Mary? Duke vs. Richmond?

Well then what about this list from another part of the nation? Minnesota vs. Kent State? Northwestern vs. Miami of Ohio? Michigan vs. Vanderbilt? Michigan State vs. Idaho? Iowa vs. Montana? Purdue vs. Indiana State? Penn State vs. Akron? Ohio State vs. Northern Illinois? Indiana vs. Western Michigan? Wisconsin vs. Bowling Green? Illinois vs. Eastern Illinois?

Also how about these oh so lovely doozies? Iowa State vs. Toledo? Texas vs. North Texas? Nebraska vs. Louisiana Tech? Colorado vs. Montana State? Texas Tech vs. SMU? Texas A&M vs. Citadel? Oklahoma State vs. Missouri State? Oklahoma vs. UAB? Missouri vs. Murray State? Kansas vs. Northwestern Louisiana? Kansas State vs. Illinois State? Baylor vs. TCU?

What is your opinion on the following? Arizona State vs. Northern Arizona? Oregon State vs. Eastern Washington? Washington vs. San Jose State? UCLA vs. Utah? Arizona vs. Brigham Young? You come on here so high and mighty acting like the Big East is doing something that just about every other BCS school isn't or something. You just got owned big time for that.
08-31-2006 02:06 PM
stevej5
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Re: patsy lists
Lolly Popp Wrote:
stevej5 Wrote:

Syracuse at Wake Forest

Is there any flipping body that you don't consider a "patsy" Stevengay5? You come on here so high and mighty acting like the Big East is doing something that just about every other BCS school isn't or something. You just got owned big time for that.

once again, you project your lollypop speculations on to my posts. All of those other big conferences have patsy matchups this weekend and i never said otherwise ...
09-01-2006 02:47 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

8-0 would be good wkend. B-E has shot at knocking ACC schools out of bowls. [beat NC & WF twice, MD, Vir]
09-01-2006 03:00 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.