Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

State Budget
Bookmark and Share
etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
State Budget
As we all know, ETSU is expecting the state to pay for much of the stadium, and for that money to be included in this year's budget. As WJHL reported tonight, neither the football stadium or the PAC is in the proposed budget this year.

Not getting into politics here, but part of the state budget proposal announced tonight by Haslam might be pretty harmful to ETSU. Haslam proposed giving all high school seniors 2 years of free tuition at state community colleges or technical schools. This might be a good idea. However, it will also mean many more in-state students will attend ETSU for only 2 years instead of 4, or maybe not attend ETSU at all. This, in turn, will reduce enrollment at ETSU and will likely put a crunch on all budget items within the university, including athletics.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 11:04 PM by etsubuc.)
02-03-2014 10:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bucs44 Offline
Water Engineer

RE: State Budget
(02-03-2014 10:54 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  As we all know, ETSU is expecting the state to pay for much of the stadium, and for that money to be included in this year's budget. As WJHL reported tonight, neither the football stadium or the PAC is in the proposed budget this year.

Not getting into politics here, but part of the state budget proposal announced tonight by Haslam might be pretty harmful to ETSU. Haslam proposed giving all high school seniors 2 years of free tuition at state community colleges or technical schools. This might be a good idea. However, it will also mean many more in-state students will attend ETSU for only 2 years instead of 4, or maybe not attend ETSU at all. This, in turn, will reduce enrollment at ETSU and will likely put a crunch on all budget items within the university, including athletics.
02-03-2014 11:08 PM
Bucs44 Offline
Water Engineer

Disappointed, but not surprising about the governors budget. Believe legislators from around 90 miles down the road may have reached him. However, it's only a proposal, and I do believe that Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey will come through.
02-03-2014 11:12 PM
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-03-2014 11:12 PM)Bucs44 Wrote:  Disappointed, but not surprising about the governors budget. Believe legislators from around 90 miles down the road may have reached him. However, it's only a proposal, and I do believe that Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey will come through.

I agree, he wouldn't have sounded so confident if he didn't think he could come through.
02-03-2014 11:19 PM
WingedWarrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Go Bucs!
(02-03-2014 10:54 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  ...

That was also my first reaction. On the other side, I wonder how many more students the community colleges can serve.
02-04-2014 02:15 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Someone else can explain it better than me, but the money from the stadium doesn't come from "state appropriations." It's the same as the Nashville Sounds ballpark. The state is issuing bonds to ETSU to build the stadium, which is a nice PC way to say the state is loaning them the money to build it, and the money will be paid back of a period of X amount of years through the use of a student fee.
Because the PAC is supposed to be used also for educational purposes, that money may still be there but there may be a bond as well. And didn't they have some kind of an agreement in place about ETSU raising private money by a certain point and once that's done then the state contractually obligated itself to match those funds to build it?
02-04-2014 05:34 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-04-2014 05:34 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Someone else can explain it better than me, but the money from the stadium doesn't come from "state appropriations." It's the same as the Nashville Sounds ballpark. The state is issuing bonds to ETSU to build the stadium, which is a nice PC way to say the state is loaning them the money to build it, and the money will be paid back of a period of X amount of years through the use of a student fee.
Because the PAC is supposed to be used also for educational purposes, that money may still be there but there may be a bond as well. And didn't they have some kind of an agreement in place about ETSU raising private money by a certain point and once that's done then the state contractually obligated itself to match those funds to build it?

Hmmm that doesn't seem to be what this article or Haslam is saying.
http://johnsoncitypress.com/article/1144...-this-year

Quote:Gov. Bill Haslam said Tuesday that an expected decline in state revenues will mean East Tennessee State University’s fine and performing arts center and football stadium projects will not be funded this year.

Seems pretty cut and dried.
02-04-2014 09:40 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(02-04-2014 02:15 PM)WingedWarrior Wrote:  

That was also my first reaction. On the other side, I wonder how many more students the community colleges can serve.

The community college system in Tennessee has a graduation rate of approximately 26% (the public Universities roughly twice that rate). The community colleges serve a lot of folks but apparently very poorly if graduates is the measure to be used. Citizens should be asking why the legislators are shoving money at a system that has failed to deliver - while starving the public Universities.
02-04-2014 09:53 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-04-2014 09:53 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 02:15 PM)WingedWarrior Wrote:  

The community college system in Tennessee has a graduation rate of approximately 26% (the public Universities roughly twice that rate). The community colleges serve a lot of folks but apparently very poorly if graduates is the measure to be used. Citizens should be asking why the legislators are shoving money at a system that has failed to deliver - while starving the public Universities.

A lot transfer to a 4 year before completing their 2 year degree. He is also proposing that they allow those students to finish their 2 year degree at the new college while working towards a bachelor’s degree.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/201401...ng-degrees
02-04-2014 10:04 PM
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(02-04-2014 10:04 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  A lot transfer to a 4 year before completing their 2 year degree.

I don't know data that supports this.

He is also proposing that they allow those students to finish their 2 year degree at the new college while working towards a bachelor’s degree.

This is old hat, already in place and has been at ETSU for 1-2 years now.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/201401...ng-degrees

See above.
02-04-2014 10:29 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

You also have to understand the unpopular fact that community colleges admit people who aren't ready for college, and therefore drop out. This isn't a sign of weakness, instead it is a sign that the community colleges do not simply pass everyone. I would expect the graduation rate percentage to increase under the new proposal.
02-04-2014 10:33 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
How can TN waive tuition at the two year schools and not waive tuition for the first two years at the four year schools? And, of course, who will pick up this new tab here? Where is the governor finding all this new money for higher education? Seems that the four year schools would put up one hell of a fight over this. The state has been cutting state support for all the state schools for years now. This seems like a radical departure, and at a time the governor is saying that state revenues are missing their projections. What's going on here?
02-05-2014 09:29 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

The money is coming from taking the reserve fund from the lottery fund down from $400 million to $100 million. That will probably support the program until Haslam's next term is over and he is out of office, then it will likely become a major annual expense.
02-05-2014 10:30 AM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

(02-05-2014 10:30 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  The money is coming from taking the reserve fund from the lottery fund down from $400 million to $100 million. That will probably support the program until Haslam's next term is over and he is out of office, then it will likely become a major annual expense.

TN needs to increase the current scholarship program to up the reward for hard work and good grades if the money is there. But, don't know how wise it is to deplete that fund, however. The good students are the people most likely to make the biggest impact on the state's future economic growth. This whole country needs to up the rewards to people who actually contribute to the future of the country and help grow the economy and create private sector jobs. Or, use the money, if they're determined to spend it, on higher education across the board to help ease tuition at ALL the state schools. But, just giving it to the two-year schools only is not right. Governor must have some relatives and friends at the two year schools. In addition, the downtown Johnson City branch of the NE TN two year community college would have no tuition while up the road, ETSU students would continue paying full tuition? Does that make any sense at all? As an ETSU parent, I would be raising some mighty hell.
02-05-2014 11:26 AM
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

Gov bredesen a democrat made this same propsal a few years back. The republican senate and house killed it quickly ..saying it's a terrible idea.. will they go for it this time because a republican gov is pushing it now
02-05-2014 09:54 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

Northeast State at Johnson City (below). With the govs proposal, local commuter students could attend this state school tuition/fees free for two years in the transfer to-a-four-year-college program and then continue at ETSU for their last two years, paying tuition/fees, of course, and receiving an ETSU degree while local commuter ETSU freshmen and sophomores would be required to pay full tuition/fees. Looks like one hell of a class action lawsuit to me.

http://www.northeaststate.edu/johnsoncity/
02-06-2014 06:45 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(02-06-2014 06:45 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  Northeast State at Johnson City (below). With the govs proposal, local commuter students could attend this state school tuition/fees free for two years in the transfer to-a-four-year-college program and then continue at ETSU for their last two years, paying tuition/fees, of course, and receiving an ETSU degree while local commuter ETSU freshmen and sophomores would be required to pay full tuition/fees. Looks like one hell of a class action lawsuit to me.

http://www.northeaststate.edu/johnsoncity/
And I am thinking the whole idea could be DOA.
02-06-2014 06:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.