Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tennessee Tech.
ClemsonBrad Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Belmont
Tennessee Tech.
I wasn't able to see the game, but I am going to try to watch it later. From what I have read, it looks like we had a tough night shooting and some bad turnovers. Definitely a bad loss. What was the story for those who saw/watched it? Did we just come out flat last night?
02-02-2014 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Tennessee Tech.
(02-02-2014 11:56 AM)ClemsonBrad Wrote:  I wasn't able to see the game, but I am going to try to watch it later. From what I have read, it looks like we had a tough night shooting and some bad turnovers. Definitely a bad loss. What was the story for those who saw/watched it? Did we just come out flat last night?

I was at the game and it was ugly at times. Our passes were not good as we kept throwing it to Tech players. Our shooting was off. Drew is really struggling. Even his free throws were off.

Give credit to Tech, they played a good game and played us hard. They have played us hard twice. It makes me wonder why their record isn't better.

A final note. Our record is better than what I was expecting for this year. I was expecting a tough rebuilding year. I am pleased with where we are at and hope our play gets a little more consistent as we close out the season.
02-02-2014 01:31 PM
Advertisement

ClemsonBrad Offline
Water Engineer

(02-02-2014 01:31 PM)Bruin2002 Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 11:56 AM)ClemsonBrad Wrote:  I wasn't able to see the game, but I am going to try to watch it later. From what I have read, it looks like we had a tough night shooting and some bad turnovers. Definitely a bad loss. What was the story for those who saw/watched it? Did we just come out flat last night?

I was at the game and it was ugly at times. Our passes were not good as we kept throwing it to Tech players. Our shooting was off. Drew is really struggling. Even his free throws were off.

Give credit to Tech, they played a good game and played us hard. They have played us hard twice. It makes me wonder why their record isn't better.

A final note. Our record is better than what I was expecting for this year. I was expecting a tough rebuilding year. I am pleased with where we are at and hope our play gets a little more consistent as we close out the season.

I agree. Tech. is tough to figure out. They have played us tough BOTH times and have looked bad against much worse competition. They seem like they have the talent on their team to be better then they are.

I hate that loss because it puts a lot more pressure on you to beat Murray on Thursday and win out all the way through. If we tie with Morehead St. and EKU with all of us having 3 losses at the end of the year, do we own the tie breaker and win the East? We definitely would be over Morehead since we beat them twice, but we have split with EKU...
02-02-2014 03:22 PM
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

It was ugly at times last night. I thought our guards really forced it early on in the game with heavily contested drives that resulted in poor shots or turnovers (I often consider miserable shots turnovers too).

Drew is indeed struggling, but I don't think it's just foul trouble. He's played back to back to back 17 minute games. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this coaching staff needs to pump Drew with confidence as I believe he can be difference maker. He rarely plays the last 4-5 minutes of games (don't know why) which means he really has about 25-30 minutes to earn his 5 fouls. Why pull him when he picks up his second in the first half? Why pull him when he picks up his 3rd early in the second? He's a 5th year senior, show some trust, instill some confidence in him. Have his expectations been communicated to him? You don't accidentally score 16 against UNC or 21 against UK. He needs to be a double digit scorer for us offensively, not a spot up, wildly 'guard-able' shooter.

Aside from Drew's struggles, I think our defensive performance these last two games is not what we saw against EKU and Morehead at home. Everyone is having lapses out there. Helping off shooters too much, playing awful on ball defense, and our high ball screen defensive principles just aren't there consistently. Combine that with still suspect rebounding (another reason I can't explain how Drew doesn't see more minutes) and we've put ourselves in position to lose several games.

Last night is another prime example for me to revisit my often comments about going inside to our bigs. Craig and Reece were unable to effectively drive (credit TTU) and our shots weren't falling. We went inside a few times with mixed result. Chad had one good hook, Evan got called for a phantom travel, Drew forced a half hook from 8 feet, but he also scored on a turnaround jumper for our first bucket of the game & drew a foul on another post feed. We refuse to revisit that well consistently. I mean can you imagine being Blake... he bangs inside all game long, picks up fouls, and rarely gets a chance to return the favor to the other team. I know Drew's having a tough stretch, but so is Blake lately. These guys are 5th year seniors... it's time this staff gases them with confidence. Our guards turn the ball over left and right at times and Rick claps his hands and encourages them to keep attacking, why aren't Drew and Blake afforded that same confidence? Instead, they get yanked. They know how to ball and they need to see the minutes for us to compete in March.

I understand that our squad has been an unbelievable shooting team over the years, but if we want to win conference titles and NCAA tournament games, we need to be more than one dimensional, unless we're stroking like we did against SEMO. Guys on our team that I consider multi-dimensional with their offensive skillset are Craig, JJ, and Drew. We saw Drew explore different parts of his game against our toughest competition (VCU, UK & UNC), but doesn't against the likes of conference foes. Teams that win in March have 3 multi-dimensional scorers. Last years team is a great example with Kerron, Ian, & Trevor. I have to believe we have that again, but only two of those players are put in positions consistently to make plays. JJ killed EKU & UNC cause he's earned Rick's trust even through his struggles and it paid off. Craig is almost certain to turn it over 3 times a game, but Rick continues to tell him to attack and Craig relentlessly does. I love that. I get Drew is a one and done and Evan is the future, no doubt, but Drew can't start tapering off now.

Those are my long-winded, hyper-critical thoughts. I can't wait to see us back in action at the Curb on Thursday against Murray! I might even wear red pants!
02-02-2014 04:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.