Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Newspapers
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
OT: Newspapers
The Fredericksburg Free Lance Star has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. I wonder how the financial health of the Daily News Record is doing?

The things we assume are rock solid aren't always what they appear to be. News media has changed so much with social media and 24/7 cable.

I see the day in the not too distant future when print media and books will no longer exist. To infinity and beyond.........
01-23-2014 10:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: OT: Newspapers
Call me old fashioned, but I still read real newspapers and real books. I won't give up the feel of paper unless/until I am forced to. I still carry a personal flip phone, don't do facebook or twitter.
01-23-2014 10:59 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
(01-23-2014 10:59 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  Call me old fashioned, but I still read real newspapers and real books. I won't give up the feel of paper unless/until I am forced to. I still carry a personal flip phone, don't do facebook or twitter.

you are old fashioned
01-23-2014 11:03 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(01-23-2014 10:51 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  The Fredericksburg Free Lance Star has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. I wonder how the financial health of the Daily News Record is doing?

The things we assume are rock solid aren't always what they appear to be. News media has changed so much with social media and 24/7 cable.

I see the day in the not too distant future when print media and books will no longer exist. To infinity and beyond.........

Anyone who thinks any newspaper is rock solid hasn't been paying attention. You can buy a $200'device and have thousands of newspapers. Magazines, etc, available 24x7. One of the greatest personal technology advances.

Newspapers will need to go pay wall. It remains to be seen how successful they will be. Much like JMU, they needed to plan for this 3 years ago. I currently subscribe (and pay for) 3 magazines and 2 newspapers. The end user experience is well worth it.
01-23-2014 11:08 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(01-23-2014 10:59 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  Call me old fashioned, but I still read real newspapers and real books. I won't give up the feel of paper unless/until I am forced to. I still carry a personal flip phone, don't do facebook or twitter.

You are missing out.
01-23-2014 11:09 AM
Advertisement

HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 11:29 AM by HolyCityDuke.)
01-23-2014 11:28 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

People on here complain all the time about having to pay to subscribe to the DNR e version. Soon, all papers will charge to receive the digital papers.
01-23-2014 11:39 AM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

People will just move to twitter for news, scary enough.
01-23-2014 11:44 AM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(01-23-2014 11:44 AM)brizzock Wrote:  People will just move to twitter for news, scary enough.

While you can certainly crowd source your breaking news headlines, it's tough to get in depth analysis (by its very nature) from twitter.
01-23-2014 12:40 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(01-23-2014 11:39 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  People on here complain all the time about having to pay to subscribe to the DNR e version. Soon, all papers will charge to receive the digital papers.

You need to offer great original content to insure people will actually pay for access. That's why the New York Times' paywall is a success and the San Francisco Chronicle's was a massive failure.
01-23-2014 12:51 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2014 11:03 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  

you are old fashioned

Yeah true. The thing is when I came on here (well the CAAZone) in 06' I was probably about the norm. I doubt many many people on here we're using facebook, twitter, smartphones, kindles, etc back then. I've gone from the norm to old fashioned in not that long of a time period.
01-23-2014 01:46 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2014 01:46 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(01-23-2014 11:03 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  

you are old fashioned

Yeah true. The thing is when I came on here (well the CAAZone) in 06' I was probably about the norm. I doubt many many people on here we're using facebook, twitter, smartphones, kindles, etc back then. I've gone from the norm to old fashioned in not that long of a time period.

BDK, still carry the flip myself. More than anything else, I like the small size and the ruggedness over the smart phones. Though, I will cave soon. In addition, I can't believe what we accept as reasonable for the cost to be connected these days. We are addicts to it.
01-23-2014 08:01 PM
Ike N. Berry Offline
2nd String

If I read the article correctly, the Free Lance-Star's problems aren't due to quality or even circulation, but rather an ill-timed loan for a printing plant. It's a great paper and I hope it survives.
01-23-2014 11:17 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2014 10:51 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  The Fredericksburg Free Lance Star has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. I wonder how the financial health of the Daily News Record is doing?

You get home delivery BSKB?
01-24-2014 02:36 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(01-24-2014 02:36 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

You get home delivery BSKB?

I get home delivery of the Free Lance Star and e version and I get e version of the DNR.
01-24-2014 05:42 AM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

Print has sadly passed away. http://www.theonion.com/articles/print-d...803,33244/

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
01-24-2014 09:13 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

(01-23-2014 11:17 PM)Ike N. Berry Wrote:  If I read the article correctly, the Free Lance-Star's problems aren't due to quality or even circulation, but rather an ill-timed loan for a printing plant. It's a great paper and I hope it survives.

Call Warren Buffett.....he's buying up newspaper companies.
01-24-2014 01:00 PM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

I still like print. I don't read many magazines, but I greatly prefer it for books and I read quite a bit. I vastly prefer the feel of a book in my hand, and I also prefer being able to hand the book to someone at let them read it, without additional cost. I also use e-reader apps for my tablet when I am at the gym and working on a treadmill and such, but there is something a bit false about the experience to me. I have not read a newspaper in a decade or more though. I doubt I would ever drop a nickel on a paywalled newspaper. Too much of the content can be had for free in other places. Now, specialty sites about specific interests, yes, that I might pay for.
01-24-2014 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.