Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Top 200 research schools
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Top 200 research schools
Interesting to see how the conference shakes out here. All the FB member schools are listed among the top 200 research schools, while only 2 (ND & Georgetown) non FB members make the list. The most often mentioned expansion candidates have UCF, Memphis, and Temple making the list. ECU and Marshall did not.

BEFC Schools
#24 - Pitt
#51 - Rutgers
#53 - Cinci
#62 - USF
#74 - UConn
#114 - Louisville
#117 WVU
#149 - Syracuse

BE Schools

#106 - Georgetown
#137 - Notre Dame

Expansion candidates
#121 - UCF
#135 - Temple
#167 - Memphis

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf06323/pdf/tab30.pdf

I was suprised to see Cinci and USF ranked so high in the conference. For those who like to question why they were added, this may help to explain it.
08-15-2006 01:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: Top 200 research schools
Shannon Panther Wrote:BEFC Schools
#24 - Pitt

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf06323/pdf/tab30.pdf

Did you guys figure out how to run faster yet ??? 03-wink
08-15-2006 01:20 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Shannon Panther Wrote:I was suprised to see Cinci and USF ranked so high in the conference. For those who like to question why they were added, this may help to explain it.

What - you mean football attendance was not the sole criteria for gaining entry into the Big East Conference? How can this be? A lot of people seem to think that it's the only thing that counts. ;-) 01-wingedeagle :shhh:
08-15-2006 01:28 PM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights

Do these rankings look really off to anyone else?

I mean 50 year old schools like UCF and USF ahead of Notre Dame?! Many public schools over older big money private schools?
08-15-2006 01:55 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Quote:[quote="st932253"]Do these rankings look really off to anyone else?

I mean 50 year old schools like UCF and USF ahead of Notre Dame?! Many public schools over older big money private schools?

Maybe it simply means that being old and private does not necessarily equal being a better research institution. By the way, a list of schools playing in bowls the last 3 years in a row + winning at least 2 NCAA basketball tournament games + making that list of research institutions would be rather small wouldn't it? And even smaller if for those who WON their bowl game and made it to the Elite 8.
08-15-2006 02:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

st932253 Wrote:Do these rankings look really off to anyone else?

Notre Dame is dedicated to education of it's students vs research. Not all schools are research universities. I posted the information because it shows the similarities in mission the FB schools have vs the non FB schools. It also provides some some insight into what other factors besides athletics might go into any future expansion decisions.
08-15-2006 02:08 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
bearcatfan Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:I was suprised to see Cinci and USF ranked so high in the conference. For those who like to question why they were added, this may help to explain it.

What - you mean football attendance was not the sole criteria for gaining entry into the Big East Conference? How can this be? A lot of people seem to think that it's the only thing that counts. ;-) 01-wingedeagle :shhh:

And you think university research had anything to do with it? Seriously?
08-15-2006 02:21 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

3601 Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:

And you think university research was an important criteria? Seriously? If so, you're naive.
08-15-2006 02:35 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Wait until UCF opens the medical school next year. You will see UCF take money from every other state school in Florida.
08-15-2006 04:55 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

Shannon Panther Wrote:

Notre Dame is dedicated to education of it's students vs research. Not all schools are research universities. I posted the information because it shows the similarities in mission the FB schools have vs the non FB schools. It also provides some some insight into what other factors besides athletics might go into any future expansion decisions.

I was going to point out the same thing about ND's focus. I've also heard (from the few ND alumni I have known) that one thing keeping ND and the Big Televen apart is this focus. The Big Televen would want ND to place more emphasis on research.
08-15-2006 05:21 PM
USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Sir Galahad Wrote:Wait until UCF opens the medical school next year. You will see UCF take money from every other state school in Florida.

lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao
08-15-2006 05:23 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

99Tiger Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:

I was going to point out the same thing about ND's focus. I've also heard (from the few ND alumni I have known) that one thing keeping ND and the Big Televen apart is this focus. The Big Televen would want ND to place more emphasis on research.

I find it hard to believe that is the reason that ND has declined overtures from the Big 10.
08-15-2006 05:48 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

3601 Wrote:I find it hard to believe that is the reason that ND has declined overtures from the Big 10.

I never stated that was the reason...just what I've heard from ND alums.
08-15-2006 06:29 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

USFMike Wrote:
Sir Galahad Wrote:Wait until UCF opens the medical school next year. You will see UCF take money from every other state school in Florida.

lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao

Sadly, he's spot on. With the limited resources available for education in the state of Florida, the fact that they've now agreed to open two brand new medical schools - schools that will almost certainly take 20 years to become financially stable and self-sustaining - will result in less state money being available to all of the other state schools. The decision to green light those schools was fiscally irresponsible, and the ramifications will be felt almost immediately.

USFFan
08-15-2006 07:09 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

How?

Do you think UCF is going to just open their doors and earn peer reviewed funding?

Not a flame but you really have no idea who the process works.
08-15-2006 07:19 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

usffan Wrote:
USFMike Wrote:

lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao

Sadly, he's spot on. With the limited resources available for education in the state of Florida, the fact that they've now agreed to open two brand new medical schools - schools that will almost certainly take 20 years to become financially stable and self-sustaining - will result in less state money being available to all of the other state schools. The decision to green light those schools was fiscally irresponsible, and the ramifications will be felt almost immediately.

USFFan

I guess if you look at that from the State Funding point of view I guess he is right. UCF is going to get some state funding that would otherwise go to the 3 other medical schools prior to the recent startups at FAU, FIU and UCF.

However, we both know that you have to earn your reputation by winning peer reviewed funding. If he thinks UCF is going to improve their status with state funding he really has no idea about how the process works. Especially nowadays when less than 1 and 10 grants are getting funded.

BTW...it wont be long before USF breaks into that Top 50 national public research school barrier. There is A LOT of optimism on campus about the future. What Frank Borkowski started has really taken hold...
08-15-2006 07:26 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I won't act as if I know much about this but, every school seems to specialize in something, for UF, it's cancer and burns, for USF it appears to be alzheimerslth and cancer and so on. I am not sure what UCF will try to specialize in, but with the possible Vererans hospital being built next to UCF's medical school, I expect UCF do to very well, quickly.
08-15-2006 08:08 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

Quote:but with the possible Vererans hospital being built next to UCF's medical school,

Do they still have the VA hospital in Orlando next to where the base was? I was stationed at the base there right before it shutdown.
08-15-2006 09:31 PM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!
3601 Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:

And you think university research had anything to do with it? Seriously?

dork.
08-15-2006 10:13 PM
Smokin Pirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Expansion candidates
#121 - UCF
#135 - Temple
#167 - Memphis

Shannon Panther, Glad to see you don't list ECU as an expansion candidate but what position did they hold on the list?
08-16-2006 06:40 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.