Other BCS Conference
[Show Results]

Memphis' conference future
Bookmark and Share
Ontovictory Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I know this means nothing, but i'm interested to see what other people think. What is your opinion and why do you think this?
01-20-2014 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
RE: Memphis' conference future
We are stuck in the American.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 03:08 PM by TigerTimmy.)
01-20-2014 03:07 PM
Ontovictory Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(01-20-2014 03:07 PM)TigerTimmy Wrote:  We are stuck in the American.

People are thinking otherwise
01-20-2014 03:27 PM
MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
Cant decide on voting for "being fine" or "we're doomed" but the AAC it is. Depends on what the P5 do as to how doomed or fine we'll be
01-20-2014 03:30 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Eventually the BigXII one day is going to add some schools. How many? I don't know. Does that includes memphis? We simply don't know what their thinking will be if and when that time comes. So we're stuck in the American until then or something utterly strange happens
01-20-2014 03:39 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

I Root For: Memphis

Donators
Here we come, Fabulous Trans Metro!
01-20-2014 03:39 PM
Advertisement

Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-20-2014 02:33 PM)Ontovictory Wrote:  I know this means nothing, but i'm interested to see what other people think. What is your opinion and why do you think this?

This has been done ad nauseum ............

[Image: 4503512735a5356368957l.gif]
01-20-2014 03:43 PM
rws71 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: memphis
Quite possibly? Two or more of the insignificant conferences will pool their
resources to become at the very least competitive with the power 5???
"Stop fearing them and start beating them" should become the motto for
everyone else asap.
01-20-2014 04:11 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
For those who voted BigXII please tell us what you know.
01-20-2014 04:16 PM
IRISHMO120 Offline
All American

there is dialogue ongoing...we'll see

I voted Big XII
01-20-2014 05:33 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
I know our admins believe the Big12 will happen...fwiw
01-20-2014 11:12 PM
Advertisement

MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

ACC32 (when they're one of two super conferences along with the PAC32.)
01-20-2014 11:19 PM
grapes Offline
GTG

I Root For: MEMPHIS/AAC
My dream would be the Big 12 but i highly doubt they will add us with our football..

When the Big 12 added West Virginia and TCU

WVU was 10-3
TCU was 11-2

There's actually a part of an article on ESPN that has Memphis along the names of one of the teams that could join though.

"I really think the Big 12 blew it when they didn't invite Louisville to join the conference. Going forward, I think the conference has to expand by two teams. I'm thinking Cincinnati then Tulane, Colorado State, BYU, or Memphis. "

ESPN article
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 11:51 PM by grapes.)
01-20-2014 11:43 PM
dwalker85 Offline
Go Tigers Go!

(01-20-2014 11:43 PM)grapes Wrote:  My dream would be the Big 12 but i highly doubt they will add us with our football..

WVU was 10-3
TCU was 11-2

There's actually a part of an article on ESPN that has Memphis along the names of one of the teams that could join though.

"I really think the Big 12 blew it when they didn't invite Louisville to join the conference. Going forward, I think the conference has to expand by two teams. I'm thinking Cincinnati then Tulane, Colorado State, BYU, or Memphis. "

ESPN article

That quote was part of a question from "Jim B. in St Louis" and the guy from ESPN (Jake Trotter) squashed that idea by saying none of those teams moved the needle when it comes to national TV ratings. Let's hope he's wrong.
01-21-2014 12:33 AM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
I'm a pessimist, so I voted AAC and doomed.

But, the advantage of being a pessimist is that you are happy when you are wrong. Let's hope I'm wrong! (I often am 03-wink )
01-21-2014 12:35 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-20-2014 11:43 PM)grapes Wrote:  My dream would be the Big 12 but i highly doubt they will add us with our football..

WVU was 10-3
TCU was 11-2

ESPN article

Wouldn't you think Louisville is glad that didn't work out and are elated to be in the ACC?

I have never felt good about our chances in the Big XII, but since I live in Texas I would love it. They only need two. Do they want to drift over to SEC territory to make up for A&M and Missouri?

Some of the prior selections don't make sense, West Virginia?
01-21-2014 10:24 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-21-2014 10:24 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

WVU was 10-3
TCU was 11-2

ESPN article

Wouldn't you think Louisville is glad that didn't work out and are elated to be in the ACC?

I have never felt good about our chances in the Big XII, but since I live in Texas I would love it. They only need two. Do they want to drift over to SEC territory to make up for A&M and Missouri?

Yes, Louisville is ecstatic with the way it worked out. If they had been given a simultaneous choice, they would have picked the ACC. And they were devastated when WVU beat them out for the B12.

I heard (don't know 100%) that WVU got in at the last minute over UL in the B12, b/c ESPN told the B12 that WVU was a more national football name, and thus was worth more as a TV property, than was Louisville, and that was enough to tip the scales away from UL.
01-21-2014 11:00 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-21-2014 11:00 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

WVU was 10-3
TCU was 11-2

ESPN article

Yes, Louisville is ecstatic with the way it worked out. If they had been given a simultaneous choice, they would have picked the ACC. And they were devastated when WVU beat them out for the B12.

I heard (don't know 100%) that WVU got in at the last minute over UL in the B12, b/c ESPN told the B12 that WVU was a more national football name, and thus was worth more as a TV property, than was Louisville, and that was enough to tip the scales away from UL.

Would you think Memphis and Cincy would satisfy the Big XII quest for more exposure into new areas? Cincy kind of ties into West VA and Memphis battles SEC.
01-21-2014 11:06 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-21-2014 11:06 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

WVU was 10-3
TCU was 11-2

ESPN article

Would you think Memphis and Cincy would satisfy the Big XII quest for more exposure into new areas? Cincy kind of ties into West VA and Memphis battles SEC.

I think Cincy has a better case than we do, for a list of reasons I don't want to take the time to type out. I think they are perhaps the clear cut front runner, if the B12 does expand.

I think after that, there are a number of schools that could be considered. We would be one of them, obviously, b/c we've definitely been talking to them on and off for a while now.

Of course, we talked on and off to the Big East for years, and turned out to be the fifth one in when we finally got the call, and only then b/c several others turned down an invitation in front of us.

But to answer your question, yes, if Cincy did get an invite to the B12, then that probably helps our chances, b/c of our location, and perhaps a little more b/c of our history together..
01-21-2014 11:13 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-21-2014 11:13 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(01-21-2014 11:06 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

WVU was 10-3
TCU was 11-2

ESPN article

I think Cincy has a better case than we do, for a list of reasons I don't want to take the time to type out. I think they are perhaps the clear cut front runner, if the B12 does expand.

I think after that, there are a number of schools that could be considered. We would be one of them, obviously, b/c we've definitely been talking to them on and off for a while now.

Of course, we talked on and off to the Big East for years, and turned out to be the fifth one in when we finally got the call, and only then b/c several others turned down an invitation in front of us.

But to answer your question, yes, if Cincy did get an invite to the B12, then that probably helps our chances, b/c of our location, and perhaps a little more b/c of our history together..

I was listening to a talk show here in Dallas while driving home one day last year, almost a year ago, and the skittle was that the Big XII was looking at Florida State, and about other ACC schools Clemson, GA Tech, and VA Tech to bring the league to 14. I think that was Chip Brown of Orangebloods, but it was a while back. It all hinged on Florida State.
01-21-2014 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.