UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Assistant Coaches
WelcomeToUAB Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Assistant Coaches
Now that we know that the man in charge will be Bill Clark, this leads to filling assistant coaching spots and whether or get rid of a some of our current roster.

If I'm keeping the scorecard correctly the Asst. Coaching positions should currently looking like the following:
OC/WR: Owens
DC: OPEN
OL: OPEN
ILB: OPEN
OLB/DC: OPEN
CBs: OPEN
DB/S:Sharpe
TE: Henry
RB: Evans
QB*: Ellis (Promoted weeks before McGee left, before that was a GA)
And just for fun, I believe we have 3 Grad Asst. spots that are open (I stress the word 'believe', I could be wrong on that).

It seems clear that Clark will bring along his DC Coach Walker from Jacksonville State, they have been together for 15 years since they met at Prattville HS which is fine as we need a DC. His formation of the coaching tier is different than our previous one, he has DC and OC as a separate role and not assigned to a specific position, if we don't blow $250k on a few of them, we should manage to take on additional coaches.

That leads to a question if Coach Owens will be shifted to full time OC or demoted to WR coach, or will he not be part of the 2014 program? Clark doesn't have long term ties with the current JSU OC coach and the OC is rumored to be the next JSU HC so its not like Owens is pressured out and Owens has been recruiting hard lately as if he's dedicated to staying.

Other position coaches to consider from Clark's former staff are:
Chuck Dunn ILB Coach (old buddies with Clark back at PHS, even took over as HC when Clark left for USA);
Mike Bennefield OL Coach (long term ties with Clark as well).
Maybe Coach Reeves (I don't know anything about him or his backing).

If we were to keep the same format as Clark's previous staff, we still need the following:
a WR coach (the guy he had at JSU is a young guy from Troy);
an OLB coach (Clark's last year OLB coach was a young-ish guy, former GA from Clemson, and has been bouncing his way up the coaching ladder) and lastly
another Secondary/Special Teams coach (JSU's guy is a young guy from Auburn.)

So, I ask you guys, how do you think it will all play out? Does Clark go after coaches with FBS coaching experience or stay with the guys he already knows?

And don't forget the bonus, I would love to hear you would want to fill the 3 Grad Asst. spots available (or however many it is.)

Sorry for the very long post, I'm just excited about what's going to happen next.
01-20-2014 04:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Assistant Coaches
(01-20-2014 04:07 AM)WelcomeToUAB Wrote:  Now that we know that the man in charge will be Bill Clark, this leads to filling assistant coaching spots and whether or get rid of a some of our current roster.

If I'm keeping the scorecard correctly the Asst. Coaching positions should currently looking like the following:
OC/WR: Owens
DC: OPEN
OL: OPEN
ILB: OPEN
OLB/DC: OPEN
CBs: OPEN
DB/S:Sharpe
TE: Henry
RB: Evans
QB*: Ellis (Promoted weeks before McGee left, before that was a GA)
And just for fun, I believe we have 3 Grad Asst. spots that are open (I stress the word 'believe', I could be wrong on that).

It seems clear that Clark will bring along his DC Coach Walker from Jacksonville State, they have been together for 15 years since they met at Prattville HS which is fine as we need a DC. His formation of the coaching tier is different than our previous one, he has DC and OC as a separate role and not assigned to a specific position, if we don't blow $250k on a few of them, we should manage to take on additional coaches.

That leads to a question if Coach Owens will be shifted to full time OC or demoted to WR coach, or will he not be part of the 2014 program? Clark doesn't have long term ties with the current JSU OC coach and the OC is rumored to be the next JSU HC so its not like Owens is pressured out and Owens has been recruiting hard lately as if he's dedicated to staying.

Other position coaches to consider from Clark's former staff are:
Chuck Dunn ILB Coach (old buddies with Clark back at PHS, even took over as HC when Clark left for USA);
Mike Bennefield OL Coach (long term ties with Clark as well).
Maybe Coach Reeves (I don't know anything about him or his backing).

If we were to keep the same format as Clark's previous staff, we still need the following:
a WR coach (the guy he had at JSU is a young guy from Troy);
an OLB coach (Clark's last year OLB coach was a young-ish guy, former GA from Clemson, and has been bouncing his way up the coaching ladder) and lastly
another Secondary/Special Teams coach (JSU's guy is a young guy from Auburn.)

So, I ask you guys, how do you think it will all play out? Does Clark go after coaches with FBS coaching experience or stay with the guys he already knows?

And don't forget the bonus, I would love to hear you would want to fill the 3 Grad Asst. spots available (or however many it is.)

Sorry for the very long post, I'm just excited about what's going to happen next.

Great post there. But Clark goes waaaay back with his OC. He was Clark's college roommate at JSU. I did hear Coach Grass had a chance at the HC job though. Clark has 100's of coaching friends on the HS level. I'd be surprised if he retains anybody, but I could be wrong.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 07:21 AM by B'ham Blazer.)
01-20-2014 07:18 AM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
You're probably right. If the previous staff was successful and there seemed a reason to retain 1 or 2, it could be argued. But that certainly isn't the case. As for recruits, I'm sure all the people who recruited them are already gone.
01-20-2014 08:40 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I would think the OC at USA would be an option.
01-20-2014 08:44 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(01-20-2014 08:40 AM)Uncle BLAZER Wrote:  You're probably right. If the previous staff was successful and there seemed a reason to retain 1 or 2, it could be argued. But that certainly isn't the case. As for recruits, I'm sure all the people who recruited them are already gone.

Coach Owens recruited quite a few of them (especially the Florida kids). Coach Evans has been hard at it too.........wish they could stay, but I'll trust whatever Coach Clark wants to do.
01-20-2014 08:45 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Yep. Not to say that I wouldn't like for all of our current assistants to stay.

Looks like Clark may bring a few of his coaches with him & possibly a few from USA.

Just speculating.
01-20-2014 08:47 AM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(01-20-2014 08:47 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Yep. Not to say that I wouldn't like for all of our current assistants to stay.

Looks like Clark may bring a few of his coaches with him & possibly a few from USA.

Just speculating.

I didn't think about the USA angle, but that makes a lot of sense too.........might be a couple from there that he would want.
01-20-2014 09:02 AM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

I know of one USA asst that is no doubt following him to Bham.
01-20-2014 09:25 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(01-20-2014 09:25 AM)mobileblazer Wrote:  I know of one USA asst that is no doubt following him to Bham.

That's good to hear..........a defensive coach?
01-20-2014 09:27 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have my suspicions that the Joey Jones interview may have had as much to do with assistant coaches as it did Jones.
01-20-2014 09:32 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I would guess the OC, but I'm not in the know.
01-20-2014 09:32 AM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(01-20-2014 09:32 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I would guess the OC, but I'm not in the know.

Might be, if Grass really gets promoted to HC.
01-20-2014 09:33 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Clark will not leave any of the assistants hanging, if he has anything to do with it.

Most of the JSU coaches already knew about it, I would guess, along with those that he wants to bring to UAB.
01-20-2014 09:35 AM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

The USA asst that will be heading to UAB is not the biggest fan of JJ.
01-20-2014 09:48 AM
usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: G5
(01-20-2014 09:32 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I have my suspicions that the Joey Jones interview may have had as much to do with assistant coaches as it did Jones.
A. He never interviewed, just spoke to UAB on the phone.
B. This makes little sense. UAB called him and it had more to do with his assistants than to gauge his interest in the UAB job?
01-20-2014 10:26 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Guessing this may be the o-line coach. (from JSU)

http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/staff.aspx?staff=123
01-20-2014 10:28 AM
Advertisement

blazerjay Offline

Donators
(01-20-2014 10:26 AM)usmgh Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 09:32 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I have my suspicions that the Joey Jones interview may have had as much to do with assistant coaches as it did Jones.
A. He never interviewed, just spoke to UAB on the phone.
B. This makes little sense. UAB called him and it had more to do with his assistants than to gauge his interest in the UAB job?

TV reported they met face to face in Greenville on Saturday afternoon.
01-20-2014 10:31 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Uhhh he did interviewed. From what I understand talks broke down and UAB went to Clark. At first I thought it was just to talk about Clark but later discovered it wan an interview for the position. Now I don't know who turned down who or why talks broke down. It really doesn't matter. I know how it will be spun and that's ok. That is how the game is played.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 10:38 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
01-20-2014 10:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Someone also on the JSU board mentioned that Grobe turned down an offer.
No idea if it is true or not, but it doesn't really matter.

I think we will be happy with the hire.
01-20-2014 10:39 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
I think Clark is a better choice anyway and will be liked by the fans much more than Jones. Everything I've heard about him suggests he's a great family man, open and honest, and fan/media-friendly.
01-20-2014 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.