WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Poised to Make The Rich Richer
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
NCAA Poised to Make The Rich Richer
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-poised...ntentstory

SAN DIEGO – The big leagues appear poised to get their way and their own voting bloc within the NCAA.

Polling of the roughly 800 administrators at the NCAA convention's dialog on governance revealed solid support for an autonomous voting body for the five most powerful conferences – the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. Fifty-eight percent of those administrators – from all levels of NCAA membership – were in support of autonomy for the power conferences; 30 percent were opposed; 12 percent were neutral.

To NCAA president Mark Emmert, that's a significant change in outlook.

"It makes sense for the five big revenue conferences to have their own voice," Emmert told Yahoo Sports Friday. "A year ago that would have been a very difficult conversation. Now [member schools] are saying, 'Yeah, that makes sense.' … People have just become more comfortable with the ideas and concepts of it.' "

The process still will take time. Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch, the chair of the Division I Board of Directors, said there will be more focused discussion on the NCAA's new governing structure in April, and individual conferences will then have a chance to discuss those findings at their spring meetings. Then the proposals can be put to a formal vote.

"We hope to have it wrapped up and approved by summer," Hatch said.

The most publicized change the power conferences want to make is increasing compensation for athletes via a full-cost-of-attendance stipend. As it currently stands, there is a gap ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars for most athletes between what their scholarship covers and the actual cost of attending college. Power conference leaders have tried for two years to pass legislation to increase athlete compensation, but have been outvoted by schools with less revenue to share.

If the big schools have their own voting bloc, that legislation should pass easily.

"There is support [in the ACC] for the general concept and taking a fresh look at the scholarship itself," ACC commissioner John Swofford said. "There's also a very strong feeling that whatever is done needs to be education-based, and good for student-athletes. … The natural answer to that is full cost of education."

But there are plenty of schools from outside the football-driven power structure who are concerned about what such legislation might mean for them. They see this as a chance for the rich schools to further distance themselves from the mid-major and low-major programs that would not be able to afford the additional cost.

"I worry that the gap is going to get so large that the notion of competitive opportunity might not be possible for the rest of us," said Northeastern athletic director Peter Roby, who was perhaps the most outspoken person in the two days of meetings. "I don't think we're under the illusion that a Northeastern, or anyone in the mid-major category, is going to win [basketball] national championships. But those differences in revenue should be obstacles that prevent us, if we get in the tournament, from being able to win some games and advance.

"I just hope there are some concessions, and maybe some of us have the opportunity to compete a little more fairly."

Those concerns were clear to Emmert, but he sounds like a leader who understands which direction the movement is headed.

"I think a lot of members are very worried about that," he said. "And that worry is certainly understandable. There already are some enormous economic gaps and competitive advantages. But the members that have more resources want to use them for the betterment of student-athletes."

If there was one area of underlying tension at this NCAA convention, it centered on the tug of war between presidents and athletic directors for control of college athletics. For the past year, ADs have grown more vocal in their dissatisfaction with being essentially cut out of the decision-making process.

"There is only one group that 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, seven days a week is devoted to this enterprise," North Carolina State athletic director Debbie Yow said Thursday. "And we should be included in the leadership."
That statement drew applause from an audience that was nearly 40 percent athletic directors. Presidents noted the sentiment for a stronger AD presence – but still seem reluctant to cede too much control. The presidents were firm in saying they still want to run the show, despite an acknowledged lack of expertise on some of the issues.

Expect that debate to continue to simmer.

After an exhausting, occasionally cacophonous and often tedious two days of discussion, three things were certain: a lot of administrators got a chance to be heard; change is coming; and some people aren't going to like it. That's very American and emblematic of the complexity of college sports.

"Democracy," Swofford said, "can be messy at times."
01-17-2014 11:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
RE: NCAA Poised to Make The Rich Richer
I'm done if that passes.
01-18-2014 12:05 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(01-18-2014 12:05 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  I'm done if that passes.

Bocce ball?
01-18-2014 12:11 AM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

PJ better hurry his ass up.
01-18-2014 12:28 AM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
(01-18-2014 12:11 AM)BCBronco Wrote:  
(01-18-2014 12:05 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  I'm done if that passes.

Bocce ball?

Less guilt for enjoying the West Country.
01-18-2014 12:32 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

So very interesting.

There will be 60 or so elite, first class universities. Anyone who wants to be someone will go there. The rest of the schools will just be for the also rans and the losers.

After that is all in place, and everything goes to hell, I wonder how all these academic types, that think football is just sucking up money that could be funding more history professorships, will respond?
01-18-2014 07:16 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(01-18-2014 07:16 AM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  So very interesting.

There will be 60 or so elite, first class universities. Anyone who wants to be someone will go there. The rest of the schools will just be for the also rans and the losers.

After that is all in place, and everything goes to hell, I wonder how all these academic types, that think football is just sucking up money that could be funding more history professorships, will respond?

How professors respond is like any group: mixed. Some support athletics and understand the importance of athletics within the context of a thriving and vibrant university, some are bookish, pasty and don't get it at all.

It's interesting, when my daughter was on her softball recruiting trips, (mostly d2 schools) we learned as much about football as we did softball. I talked to one college president who told me: "if it weren't for football, I wouldn't have a university ." (D2 in Ohio). Another university (also d2 in Ohio) uses football very successfully as a tool to increase the profile and enrollment at the school.

The point being is that even at smaller schools many academic types understand the importance of athletics to a university. Having said that,you're likely right, the power of the big conferences will ultimately devalue the MAC and it's contemporaries to the point that we may as well be the GLIAC.
01-18-2014 09:07 AM
Advertisement

bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
This will hurt hundreds of athletes who need scholarships to get through school. Not every football player in the country can play in those conferences and will be like fish flapping in the mud of an evaporating lake.

Not a great analogy but I think I am interpreting the article correctly.

I enjoy watching college basketball to see the underdog emerge and pull off upsets. Looks like the big conferences don't want those "upsets" in football.
01-18-2014 09:40 AM
Broncobelt Offline
All American

(01-18-2014 09:40 AM)bostonbronco Wrote:  This will hurt hundreds of athletes who need scholarships to get through school. Not every football player in the country can play in those conferences and will be like fish flapping in the mud of an evaporating lake.

I enjoy watching college basketball to see the underdog emerge and pull off upsets. Looks like the big conferences don't want those "upsets" in football.

The "haves" of the NCAA seem determined to distance themselves from the rest of the NCAA, and the NCAA seems more than willing to let them.

Next year we have a four team playoff for the football championship. Wait till they do the same in basketball. I can see them reducing the NCAA tournament to between 12 - 24 teams for a crowned champion, with the rest of the NCAA being relegated to lesser tournaments.
01-18-2014 10:03 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(01-18-2014 10:03 AM)Broncobelt Wrote:  
(01-18-2014 09:40 AM)bostonbronco Wrote:  This will hurt hundreds of athletes who need scholarships to get through school. Not every football player in the country can play in those conferences and will be like fish flapping in the mud of an evaporating lake.

The "haves" of the NCAA seem determined to distance themselves from the rest of the NCAA, and the NCAA seems more than willing to let them.

Next year we have a four team playoff for the football championship. Wait till they do the same in basketball. I can see them reducing the NCAA tournament to between 12 - 24 teams for a crowned champion, with the rest of the NCAA being relegated to lesser tournaments.

The reason that the NCAA is more than willing to let the so-called power schools distance themselves from the non power schools is that if they don't, the power schools would simply withdraw from the NCAA anyway and form their own association. As inept as the NCAA is, they're between a rock and a hard place on this one.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2014 10:10 AM by BCBronco.)
01-18-2014 10:09 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Need the other 60 plus schools to form their own governing organization, get some TV contracts, and an actual play-off system. The Big 5 can only fill 30 games a week. Fans still like to see Cinderella teams like in the Big Dance.Competition would drive their TV revenues down and I'm sure some network would like to have a competitive product they could market against the Big 5 deal.
01-18-2014 10:25 AM
stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
[Image: big-machine-gun.gif]
01-18-2014 11:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Well ESPN has already positioned the MAC as the October weekday league, right?
01-19-2014 07:56 AM
Advertisement

Broncobelt Offline
All American

Or November weekday league
01-19-2014 09:10 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

November weekday league! Brrr.
01-19-2014 08:29 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2...ial-report

More noise about either 4th division or a breakaway by the BCS schools.
01-24-2014 10:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.