UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone remember Legal Schnauzer, aka Roger Shuler? He's making headlines again...
UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Anyone remember Legal Schnauzer, aka Roger Shuler? He's making headlines again...
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 12:28 PM by UABslant.)
01-15-2014 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
RE: Anyone remember Legal Schnauzer, aka Roger Shuler? He's making headlines again...
i miss that guy
01-15-2014 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DragonClaw Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB Blazers
RE: Anyone remember Legal Schnauzer, aka Roger Shuler? He's making headlines again...
That's too bad. This will only intensify his paranoia about being persecuted by the State judiciary and the powers that be.

...but maybe they really are out to get him and shut him up?

Gawd knows there must be plenty of cockroaches under Alabama's carpet.
01-15-2014 12:34 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

He's been in jail for a while. I think he's getting railroaded, and if you get on the wrong side of someone in charge in Shelby County they can make your life miserable, but he's also bringing it on himself. He's purposefully trying to be a pain in the ass.
01-15-2014 12:34 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Roger Shuler has acted the horse's ass many times. It's easy not to like him, but the al.com columnist Mike Marshall got it right:

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2013...ger_s.html

"That's when Judge Claud Neilson lowered the boom. He ordered Shuler to remove the offending articles about Riley from the website, and forbade Shuler from writing anything further about Riley. Shuler ignored both orders, and wound up being arrested at his Shelby County home Oct. 23 for contempt of court and resisting arrest.

Shuler deserves to be punished for contempt of court.

But Judge Neilson violated Shuler's right to free speech when he ordered him not to publish anything further about Riley. The U.S. Supreme Court has consistently ruled that you cannot muzzle an American citizen; you cannot prohibit libels anticipated in the future, an excess known as "prior restraint."

The strongest Supreme Court rulings protecting the free speech of Americans have come on behalf of unsympathetic figures, such as Hustler magazine publisher Larry Flynt. This is fundamental to the right of free speech -- everyone has it, and to ensure that we must protect it for the most repugnant and objectionable speech, not just polite words."

If Shuler wrote untrue things there are legal remedies that Riley could turn to. A judge muzzling Shuler is a violation of the First Amendment. Period.

He's still a horse's ass though.
01-15-2014 12:39 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Why would the marital situation of a governors son be news anyway?

I guess Shuler becomes the first former UAB beat writer to go to jail. Unless Torraine Norris has been bad.
01-15-2014 12:44 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I agree with Band Dad. I have a hard time feeling sorry for the putz, but I don't like some judge pissing on the Constitution, either.
01-15-2014 12:55 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-15-2014 12:55 PM)Smaug Wrote:  I agree with Band Dad. I have a hard time feeling sorry for the putz, but I don't like some judge pissing on the Constitution, either.

Alabama's judges are elected to be tough on those who say embarrassing things about our elected officials. It's an old Alabama tradition.

When the Troy President at the time expelled the school's newspaper editor for writing an editorial critical of Gov. Wallace, his school was rewarded by being allowed (as in funded) to build Troy - Montgomery. (That gave Montgomery THREE separate state universities in the state's 3rd or 4th largest city.)
01-15-2014 03:41 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

[Image: original.0]
01-15-2014 03:43 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
My boss lives across the street from him. What a crazy ass guy.
01-15-2014 04:09 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
I have some knowledge about some of the things he has blogged about. He flat out lied about several things. When he wasn't flat out lying, he was opining about things he knew nothing about. I have no sympathy for him.
01-15-2014 06:19 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Who?
01-15-2014 06:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2014 06:19 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I have some knowledge about some of the things he has blogged about. He flat out lied about several things. When he wasn't flat out lying, he was opining about things he knew nothing about. I have no sympathy for him.

He has the right to say them, though. And if he is slandering and being libelous, his victims have the right to sue him. He may be a jerk, but he still has rights.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 06:53 PM by mixduptransistor.)
01-15-2014 06:53 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "

If he slanders or libels someone he can be sued, and that is as it should be. Allowing a powerdrunk judge to take away his free speech by fiat is unconstitutional, and the judge knows it too.
01-15-2014 07:04 PM
bftb Online
Go Blazers!

The sad thing is, Roger used to be one of the better basketball writers in the South, when he was our beat-writer for the Post-Herald. He was also one of the nicest and most respectful guys around. Coach Bartow loved him.

After the P-H, he got hired by the UAB Report, because he had been a dedicated UAB guy. Whatever happened from there obviously soured him and turned him negative personally and professionally. Very sad.
01-15-2014 07:16 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

From what I have read of his stuff he definitely has some skills, unfortunately though it goes way off the deep end on these agendas.

While I disagree with a lot of stuff that he has written, he does have a right to write this and those who he has slandered has a right to eat his lunch for it.
01-15-2014 07:20 PM
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
What's the back story of this guy? When was he a UAB beat writer?
01-15-2014 07:25 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(01-15-2014 07:20 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  From what I have read of his stuff he definitely has some skills, unfortunately though it goes way off the deep end on these agendas.

While I disagree with a lot of stuff that he has written, he does have a right to write this and those who he has slandered has a right to eat his lunch for it.

Assuming, of course, that what he wrote about Riley was not true.
01-15-2014 07:31 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Early 80's for the post herald. After him, Cary Estes was the beat writer. As Bftb said, he was a great beat writer and very pro-UAB. Something went wrong for them and he has really gone to the dark side.
01-15-2014 07:34 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-15-2014 07:31 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(01-15-2014 07:20 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  From what I have read of his stuff he definitely has some skills, unfortunately though it goes way off the deep end on these agendas.

Assuming, of course, that what he wrote about Riley was not true.

Even if it's true, it really is no ones business. Is it newsworthy that the governors son is unfaithful? He has his rights, but what about The son's rights. How would you like having your private life aired because of who your father is.
01-15-2014 07:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.