UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No longer Blazer-related; Petrino
Puff Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB
No longer Blazer-related; Petrino
Bill King on his show this morning said that he quietly asked several coaches at the AFCA convention this week their opinion of Petrino. He said that the overwhelming response was that he is totally despised in the coaching ranks. He went on to say that he has a small cocoon of coaches who will associate with him. I guess our former HC is in that cocoon. Each day he has been gone convinces me more and more what a PoS he really was/is!
01-15-2014 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

RE: No longer Blazer-related; Petrino
(01-15-2014 07:54 AM)Puff Wrote:  Bill King on his show this morning said that he quietly asked several coaches at the AFCA convention this week their opinion of Petrino. He said that the overwhelming response was that he is totally despised in the coaching ranks. He went on to say that he has a small cocoon of coaches who will associate with him. I guess our former HC is in that cocoon. Each day he has been gone convinces me more and more what a PoS he really was/is!

You would be correct, sir!
01-15-2014 08:11 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Begs the question, when he inevitably crashes and burns again at the 'vile, where does that leave McGee, an OC who doesn't call plays?
01-15-2014 09:36 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(01-15-2014 07:54 AM)Puff Wrote:  Bill King on his show this morning said that he quietly asked several coaches at the AFCA convention this week their opinion of Petrino. He said that the overwhelming response was that he is totally despised in the coaching ranks. He went on to say that he has a small cocoon of coaches who will associate with him. I guess our former HC is in that cocoon. Each day he has been gone convinces me more and more what a PoS he really was/is!

It sounds like he may be coaching at the right place. I think the University of Louisvile Athletics program is equally despised .

I have found the need to root for Louisville once, in a very long time of following major sports.
01-15-2014 10:09 AM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2014 09:36 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Begs the question, when he inevitably crashes and burns again at the 'vile, where does that leave McGee, an OC who doesn't call plays?

Which itself begs the question, who gives a damn?
01-15-2014 10:27 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(01-15-2014 10:27 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(01-15-2014 09:36 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Begs the question, when he inevitably crashes and burns again at the 'vile, where does that leave McGee, an OC who doesn't call plays?

Which itself begs the question, who gives a damn?

Oh, I ask strictly from the position of schadenfreude. Otherwise, I agree. 03-lol
01-15-2014 10:31 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

The guy can coach. He wins games, even if he's slimy.

My question is more like "When he inevitably gets an offer, hoses Louisville and bolts, how will I restrain my laughter?".
01-15-2014 10:53 AM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs

He never crashed and burned at UL. Just sayin'....
01-15-2014 01:24 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(01-15-2014 01:24 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

He never crashed and burned at UL. Just sayin'....

Okay, the one place he hasn't.

Maybe that's why he went back. Got to check that box. 03-lol
01-15-2014 01:50 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

Oh, he burned the bridge to the water's edge, they just rebuilt it. He was famously involved in Jetgate, interviewing for the Auburn job while his mentor Tuberville was still coaching there. After that, UL had given him a large raise and extension, which he signed five days before he interviewed with LSU, later interviewing for Old Miss and Notre Dame, then took the Atlanta Falcons job after signing yet another contract.

Same AD he did all that to rehired him, 'cause he knew Petrino would win.

I wouldn't trust that man to hold my peanut butter sandwich, let alone to honor a contract.
01-15-2014 02:07 PM
Advertisement

82blazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-15-2014 02:07 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Oh, he burned the bridge to the water's edge, they just rebuilt it. He was famously involved in Jetgate, interviewing for the Auburn job while his mentor Tuberville was still coaching there. After that, UL had given him a large raise and extension, which he signed five days before he interviewed with LSU, later interviewing for Old Miss and Notre Dame, then took the Atlanta Falcons job after signing yet another contract.

Same AD he did all that to rehired him, 'cause he knew Petrino would win.

I wouldn't trust that man to hold my peanut butter sandwich, let alone to honor a contract.

He has a 10 million buyout this time around though. That will scare some people off
01-15-2014 02:12 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Petrino has taken over a program that had at least a remote shot at the BCS NC last year and is now in a Big 5 conference. As we in Alabama know from the era of Mike DuBose, football fans can infinitely tolerate "sleaze" as long as the coach WINS. Sleaze is only a factor when the coach doesn't win, and an excuse is needed to fire him. "Petino and Petrino" -- Great (rhyming) pair says the Bear!
01-15-2014 02:26 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(01-15-2014 02:12 PM)82blazer Wrote:  He has a 10 million buyout this time around though. That will scare some people off

I didn't say that Jurich didn't learn anything from the experience. >grin<
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 02:27 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
01-15-2014 02:26 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I suspect wording in the contract exists for motorcycle expeditions and such.
01-15-2014 02:32 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-15-2014 02:32 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I suspect wording in the contract exists for motorcycle expeditions and such.

Perhaps ONLY if they involve his own wife. That blonde went to join her fiance when he went to USC as swim coach.
01-15-2014 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.