UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mayor Bell on Legion Field
hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/bl...tml?page=2

"When asked what’s the future of the “old gray lady,” Legion Field, Bell said she’s pretty “old and gray” now and that the city is in talks with UAB, ESPN (which broadcasts the BBVA Compass Bowl that is hosted there) and banks to do something about the old stadium, although didn’t give details. Bell said an announcement would be made in the next six months."

Hope this means discussion of a new facility and not just wasting money putting lipstick on a pig.
01-14-2014 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
RE: Mayor Bell on Legion Field
A couple of BlazerTalkers have said that talk of the dome (sigh) have been revived again behind the scenes. I'll be dead and gone before the City of Birmingham replaces Legion Field.
01-14-2014 04:37 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I'm starting to think the damn thing will outlast Keith Richards, and he's got cockroach genes.
01-14-2014 04:39 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Maybe they are realizing that a city and UAB partnership is needed. And that if the city takes the lead then UAB can be a part even if the BOT says no.
01-14-2014 04:45 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Ultimately, it's the location that kills Legion Field. The place is in bad shape, but even if you dress it up: install chair backs, LED ribbon boards, new jumbotron, new paint... you don't get a financial return on your investment because there is no way to draw new restaurants, bars, etc to the area.

Save your money for a new stadium.
01-14-2014 04:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-14-2014 04:39 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I'm starting to think the damn thing will outlast Keith Richards, and he's got cockroach genes.

Keith is only 70 and his entire body is cured meat, so there's hope.
01-14-2014 05:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

legalblazer Offline
1st String

Birmingham doesn't need a dome, it needs a football stadium.

You think it's bad going to an empty Legion Field? Try out a Georgia State game at the Georgia Dome... bring your library book because that is where you feel like you are hanging out.

Yeah - monsoon games are bad for attendance, but so are perfect fall days that no one wants to ruin by going inside to watch football.
01-14-2014 05:21 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-14-2014 05:21 PM)legalblazer Wrote:  Birmingham doesn't need a dome, it needs a football stadium.

You think it's bad going to an empty Legion Field? Try out a Georgia State game at the Georgia Dome... bring your library book because that is where you feel like you are hanging out.

Yeah - monsoon games are bad for attendance, but so are perfect fall days that no one wants to ruin by going inside to watch football.

I believe that B'ham needs a MPF that can be a large football stadium AND a great modern convention facility. The GA Dome hosts over 200 events per year and only a few are football. We need to attract major conventions where people don't just drive in for a game and then go home- with their pocket money intact.

Jeffco and the rest of the metro area need to decide if they want to pay all the taxes out of their own pockets that are needed to get all the governmental services they say they want or if they want "visiting firemen" (tourists / conventioneers) to help by spending their money here. Disneyworld does not live off local traffic. Neither does the GA Dome nor will its new MPF in 2017.
01-14-2014 06:11 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I will take a MPS over Legion in a heart beat and we can recruit to it. Just look at UTSA!
01-14-2014 06:21 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Birmingham isn't going to crack the convention market. Give up on the "MPF". Build a nice football stadium close to UAB, maybe between UAB and downtown between I-65 and 20th Street that can support the bowl game, the classic, and UAB football. None of those events need 70,000 seats. There are NO events that come to Birmingham or would consider coming to Birmingham that need 70,000 seats.
01-14-2014 06:39 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Hey, I'm all for it but I disagree on conventions. I don't care anymore really as long as we have a new place to play.
01-14-2014 06:44 PM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(01-14-2014 06:44 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Hey, I'm all for it but I disagree on conventions. I don't care anymore really as long as we have a new place to play.

I'm with this. Dome, OCS, or open air replacement for Legion Field. Any of those is better than what we have currently.
01-14-2014 06:48 PM
ucwboss Offline
2nd String

A really good example is the partnership between the state of Kentucky, City of Louisville and the U of Loserville that created Papa John's Stadium.
01-14-2014 06:48 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

Sure a domed stadium would be better than Legion Field but it's not what UAB needs. It would still be grossly substandard, and the worst part is that once UAB is in a domed stadium at the BJCC, that's it. There will never, ever be hope for an on-campus stadium or a city-owned outdoor stadium.
01-14-2014 06:53 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

If we had the MPS and a bowl win or two we would be sitting in the AAC right now.
01-14-2014 07:00 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: Mayor Bell on Legion Field
(01-14-2014 06:39 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  Birmingham isn't going to crack the convention market. Give up on the "MPF". Build a nice football stadium close to UAB, maybe between UAB and downtown between I-65 and 20th Street that can support the bowl game, the classic, and UAB football. None of those events need 70,000 seats. There are NO events that come to Birmingham or would consider coming to Birmingham that need 70,000 seats.

Check your facts. As of 2010 Birmingham was still turning away between 70-100 events per year for only one reason: lack of floor space. It may FEEL like Birmingham "isn't going to crack the convention market," but the FACTS are that the city has been in that market for decades. A MPF would be booked solid the day the first foundation was poured.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
01-14-2014 07:02 PM
Advertisement

blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Just one "event," btw, fills up 1-3 calendar weeks. That's why Bham could desperately use the square footage that would also happen to accommodate a football field or basketball court and ~70k seats at max.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
01-14-2014 07:06 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
If the demand is there, then maybe we need to build the Blazertalk.com MPF and fill it up with annual events.
01-14-2014 07:25 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

LOL Board would say FU and GTH
01-14-2014 07:36 PM
GaBlazer Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2014 06:21 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I will take a MPS over Legion in a heart beat and we can recruit to it. Just look at UTSA!
Exactly Correct!!

Build a MPS And Birmingham and everyone in the area wins!! Let's See Birmingham thrive with opportunity, if you don't build it you keep getting what you get. Bring Birmingham up to an equal playing field with other cities in attracting opportunity! Just Build It Already!!!
01-14-2014 07:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.