Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lousiville @ Marshall May Be Bought Out
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Lousiville @ Marshall May Be Bought Out
Consider the source (Chuck Landon), but he's reporting that Louisville is backing away from the previously postponed home game at Marshall entirely by buying out the game. However, he cites no source in his article. Has anyone else heard about this? If so, not good. We definitely need some quality draws at the Joan.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1...th-Petrino
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 09:53 AM by Cnelson203.)
01-12-2014 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cocky Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Lousiville @ Marshall May Be Bought Out
(01-12-2014 09:52 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  Consider the source (Chuck Landon), but he's reporting that Louisville is backing away from the previously postponed home game at Marshall entirely by buying out the game. However, he cites no source in his article. Has anyone else heard about this? If so, not good. We definitely need some quality draws at the Joan.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1...th-Petrino

Not surprised... *******. 05-mafia
01-12-2014 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Jack that price waaaaaaaaaay up! Louisville is going down!
01-12-2014 09:58 AM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
There is NOTHING of substance in the article or anywhere out there that says this will happen. It's pointless.
01-12-2014 10:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
Chuck's just fabricating a controversy to have something to write about.
01-12-2014 11:25 AM
Advertisement

ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
yeah..looks like Chuck is just stating his opinion/speculating........more of an editorial on his part than an actual factual article citing "sources close to the situation".....
01-12-2014 11:45 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
I don't know how Chuck keeps his job sometime.
01-12-2014 12:14 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

Chuck generates more hits to the HD website than everything else combined. That's how he keeps his job. Amazing what you can accomplish if you are willing to be a hated, usually wrong, blowhard.
01-12-2014 01:57 PM
HerdAlum83 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
Chuck Landon DOES NOT write articles, he IS NOT a reporter.. He's a columnist which means he gets paid to write opinion pieces on Marshall athletics.. The job of a columnist is to have stirring and divisive opinions to generate reads.. He does a good job of that and that is why he keeps his job
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 02:14 PM by HerdAlum83.)
01-12-2014 02:14 PM
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Louisville has ACC money they'll buy this out to get another home game against a MAC team looking for a payday game most likely. I have been unimpressed with Hamrick's ability to get any good future OOC games. If this happens look for Marshall to fill it's schedule void with a MAC team or a FCS (I-AA) team.
01-12-2014 04:26 PM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

STOP READING CHUCK LANDON!

Nothing he ever says is true. I know those that aren't Marshall fans don't know that but this man is terrible. He goes on our message boards and uses the fodder as his premise for writing and presents posts as fact. We call him Chuck Done Deal Landon because he is always wrong.

Said that tickets were printed up for the Rice game to be at home - Wrong
Said we were a lock to play Tennessee in the bowl - Wrong
Said we were a lock to play Stanford at home in the NIT 1st round in Herrion's first season - Wrong

These are just a few examples of recent memory. Last season he wrote about how bad and disappointing the 2013 signing class was for football 2 months before NSD and it pissed off so many of the parents of those recruits. One of our local radio personalities who is like the Marshall encyclopedia stated on air he was tired of correcting what Landon says because it is never fact checked. This was after him raving about how CUSA just uses conference record for determining the division champs when no other conference in football does.

Last week he wrote about Eric and Blake Frohnapfel transferring. This has been a topic on the boards started by a guy who is afraid of losing Blake. It is a popular topic because so many think he should play over Cato (Yea I know right). So Chuck ran with it in his column an presented it as fact. A few years ago he wrote about how Doc's recruits never make it to campus. The players he cited were either propping or were asked to gray shirt. They all made it to campus. The issue was Doc tells him nothing. He and Doc don't get along because Chuck takes info he isn't supposed to and runs with it. He has not tact or respect. Any Marshall fan that is actually plugged in knows more than Chuck does.

So please do not take anything he writes as truth. Louisville pushed us back because of the move to the ACC and the forced game of Notre Dame. Now if you are their AD are you going to move a home game? No. Are you going to move an OOC sure win when you have to play ND, Clemson, and FSU on top of other solid teams like an up and coming Duke squad? Nope. You are going to move a road game against a team you haven't beaten in 30 years that is rapidly trending up and you not only have a new coach in 2014 but will be breaking in a new QB as well.
01-12-2014 04:32 PM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

(01-12-2014 04:26 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Louisville has ACC money they'll buy this out to get another home game against a MAC team looking for a payday game most likely. I have been unimpressed with Hamrick's ability to get any good future OOC games. If this happens look for Marshall to fill it's schedule void with a MAC team or a FCS (I-AA) team.

Do you know how this whole thing works? We got screwed by their jump to the ACC. Everyone's schedules are full. We had no choice but to add the FCS. Purdue is coming to Huntington next season.

Fans like you drive me insane with these cracks on Hamrick. You all think we need to have those schedules we had under Snyder and in Doc's first years. Hamrick can't get games because he wants 1-and1s. He is not going to whore Marshall out to be the opening day game of an Ohio State anymore just to collect a check. We can have more P5 opponents but we have to give up home games. Do you want to have less than 6 home games? Schedules are not done from season to season. They are made 3-4 years in advance. Now that we are looking like a good team again that can compete with anyone those P5 schools are not as motivated to add us to their schedule.

I am glad those days of playing WVU, VT, and LVille in the same season are gone. It did nothing for this program but drive us in the ground. You do not need that to be successful. Go back and look at Boise State's run. They played in what was the worst conference at that time in the WAC and opened the season up with Oregon home and home before Oregon was anything remotely close to where it is now. I think one year they were unranked and the next they were 23rd. Then they won their bowl. Go back and look at our 1999 team that finished 10th. We beat a bad Clemson team on the road, Liberty, Troy, a bad conference slate, and beat BYU in a bowl game.

If you don't think Hamrick is trying hard to get us games you are a fool. Ask him and he will tell you who he has talked to and what they say. For example everyone swears UK will play us and just assumes Hamrick just isn't trying that hard for it. Last season were playing UK in women's soccer or softball I can't remember. Just know it was a woman's sport. Hamrick and their AD are friends and their AD was at the game. Hamrick was trying to get a deal done for football with him because he had remarked about how good the matchup was for the game they were watching. So Hamrick used it as an in for football when he said that. The AD told Hamrick that he would never schedule Marshall for football because it is a bad deal for UK because losing to us would kill their season because it would be and SEC school losing to a CUSA school. He told him we can talk basketball and other sports but he would not do football.

Pruett had the same issues. I was in Pruett's office one time when I was at Marshall. I remember he was on the phone with another coach he was friends with that told him the same thing. Boise had the same issues during their run. The differences is that ESPN was brokering deals for Boise (big influence in that kickoff game vs VT and UGA) and under Pruett were settling for one off deals with no return trips. Hamrick wants home and homes and I for one am glad we have an AD that isn't will to whore us out for money.

If you are disappointed in the overall job that Hamrick as done at Marshall since he has been here you will never be happy.
01-12-2014 04:48 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

i have to agree. A 2-1 with some schools would be ok, but we need some good OOC home games.
01-12-2014 06:07 PM
Advertisement

BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

2-for-1 is ok with me. I want to re-up with VT. Great fans and a driveable game.
01-12-2014 06:26 PM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-12-2014 02:14 PM)HerdAlum83 Wrote:  Chuck Landon DOES NOT write articles, he IS NOT a reporter.. He's a columnist which means he gets paid to write opinion pieces on Marshall athletics.. The job of a columnist is to have stirring and divisive opinions to generate reads.. He does a good job of that and that is why he keeps his job

Exactly. It's amazing how many of our fans can't comprehend that.
01-12-2014 08:38 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
If they play, I hope Marshall curb-stomps them!
01-17-2014 08:31 AM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

(01-17-2014 08:31 AM)Matrix Wrote:  If they play, I hope Marshall curb-stomps them!

Louisville hasn't beaten us in 33 years.
01-17-2014 11:16 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2014 04:48 PM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 04:26 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  Louisville has ACC money they'll buy this out to get another home game against a MAC team looking for a payday game most likely. I have been unimpressed with Hamrick's ability to get any good future OOC games. If this happens look for Marshall to fill it's schedule void with a MAC team or a FCS (I-AA) team.

Do you know how this whole thing works? We got screwed by their jump to the ACC. Everyone's schedules are full. We had no choice but to add the FCS. Purdue is coming to Huntington next season.

Fans like you drive me insane with these cracks on Hamrick. You all think we need to have those schedules we had under Snyder and in Doc's first years. Hamrick can't get games because he wants 1-and1s. He is not going to whore Marshall out to be the opening day game of an Ohio State anymore just to collect a check. We can have more P5 opponents but we have to give up home games. Do you want to have less than 6 home games? Schedules are not done from season to season. They are made 3-4 years in advance. Now that we are looking like a good team again that can compete with anyone those P5 schools are not as motivated to add us to their schedule.

I am glad those days of playing WVU, VT, and LVille in the same season are gone. It did nothing for this program but drive us in the ground. You do not need that to be successful. Go back and look at Boise State's run. They played in what was the worst conference at that time in the WAC and opened the season up with Oregon home and home before Oregon was anything remotely close to where it is now. I think one year they were unranked and the next they were 23rd. Then they won their bowl. Go back and look at our 1999 team that finished 10th. We beat a bad Clemson team on the road, Liberty, Troy, a bad conference slate, and beat BYU in a bowl game.

If you don't think Hamrick is trying hard to get us games you are a fool. Ask him and he will tell you who he has talked to and what they say. For example everyone swears UK will play us and just assumes Hamrick just isn't trying that hard for it. Last season were playing UK in women's soccer or softball I can't remember. Just know it was a woman's sport. Hamrick and their AD are friends and their AD was at the game. Hamrick was trying to get a deal done for football with him because he had remarked about how good the matchup was for the game they were watching. So Hamrick used it as an in for football when he said that. The AD told Hamrick that he would never schedule Marshall for football because it is a bad deal for UK because losing to us would kill their season because it would be and SEC school losing to a CUSA school. He told him we can talk basketball and other sports but he would not do football.

Pruett had the same issues. I was in Pruett's office one time when I was at Marshall. I remember he was on the phone with another coach he was friends with that told him the same thing. Boise had the same issues during their run. The differences is that ESPN was brokering deals for Boise (big influence in that kickoff game vs VT and UGA) and under Pruett were settling for one off deals with no return trips. Hamrick wants home and homes and I for one am glad we have an AD that isn't will to whore us out for money.

If you are disappointed in the overall job that Hamrick as done at Marshall since he has been here you will never be happy.

Why hasn't Hamrick renewed with OU? That should not be allowed to get to the last game in the series before it's renewed. SBC 1 on 1 are fine why not play in the south where there are lots of Herd fans? The Huntington crowd gets 6 games for sure I keep hearing MAC teams are scheduled so Huntington fans are within driving distance. That fan base is locked up, why not try to win over alumni in the south by playing a few games within driving distance of NC, SC and GA?
01-17-2014 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.