ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT-NCAA proposal would put power in hands of BCS conferences
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
OT-NCAA proposal would put power in hands of BCS conferences
Quote:A new NCAA governance structure favoring the Division I power institutions has been distributed to membership in advance of next week's NCAA convention.

At its core, the proposed structure would give "legislative autonomy" to the five BCS or power conferences that consider themselves the main stakeholders of big-time college sports: the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC and Big 12.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...onferences
01-12-2014 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: OT-NCAA proposal would put power in hands of BCS conferences
F.cking greedy scumbags are going to absolutely ruin college athletics.

Amateur athletes my @ss.
01-12-2014 04:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
(01-12-2014 04:30 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  F.cking greedy scumbags are going to absolutely ruin college athletics.

Amateur athletes my @ss.

I think its time to compensate the football players but not in a normal way. Use merchandise to pay them, make jerseys on-demand available for every player and they get the money from the sales, that way families can get official jerseys with their sons name on the back and money player like Manziel get more compensation.

In the same vain, each FBS team should get a small % of sales from the NCAA video game and the teams can divvy out the cash as they see fit. That way they get paid and we get the game back. EA makes more then enough to give a small percentage of sales to 126 odd teams.
01-12-2014 04:45 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

How do you justify paying football but not basketball, baseball, women's ball etc? I would be in favor of a small stipend for all full scholarship athletes since they can't hold jobs. It just needs to be small and the same for every school, something like 500 bucks a semester. The BCS guys are basically trying to spend us out of contention and are succeeding.
01-12-2014 07:14 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: OT-NCAA proposal would put power in hands of BCS conferences
(01-12-2014 07:14 PM)monarx Wrote:  How do you justify paying football but not basketball, baseball, women's ball etc? I would be in favor of a small stipend for all full scholarship athletes since they can't hold jobs. It just needs to be small and the same for every school, something like 500 bucks a semester. The BCS guys are basically trying to spend us out of contention and are succeeding.

I would say that in his scenario the justification (fix) would be easy. If your jersey sells you get money. If we don't sell wrestling singlets, wrestlers don't get paid. Same principle applies to game sales.
01-12-2014 07:54 PM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2014 07:54 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 07:14 PM)monarx Wrote:  How do you justify paying football but not basketball, baseball, women's ball etc? I would be in favor of a small stipend for all full scholarship athletes since they can't hold jobs. It just needs to be small and the same for every school, something like 500 bucks a semester. The BCS guys are basically trying to spend us out of contention and are succeeding.

I would say that in his scenario the justification (fix) would be easy. If your jersey sells you get money. If we don't sell wrestling singlets, wrestlers don't get paid. Same principle applies to game sales.

The problem here would be the same as if they had a part time job. Big money donors paying more than things are worth. Duke would have some rich donor buy 1000 jerseys of the last guy on the bench for 1000 dollars each. Meanwhile, we'd be doing well to sell 200 Alex Loughton jerseys at $50.
01-13-2014 01:42 PM
ODUDon Offline
Special Teams

I would think that the BCS conferences who pull off something like this would be ripe for an anti-trust claim from the smaller schools.
01-13-2014 02:24 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-13-2014 02:24 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  I would think that the BCS conferences who pull off something like this would be ripe for an anti-trust claim from the smaller schools.

You would think, but the problem is the G5 schools (Wood included) seem more than happy to let them do this as long as we get to keep playing them for money games. I dont like it at all. I want to be able to play on close to an even playing field like it is in hoops. Yes, I realize in hoops we may not beat UNC often, but at least we have a chance to pull an upset, and theres an opportunity to go to the real championship and with some luck make some noise like many mid majors have. We now have 4 mid majors with F4s on their resume in the last 10 years. Never thought that would happen. The G5 need to stay strong and demand that our champions have access to a playoff in return for this stuff. The P5 need us or there will be a lot more of them with losing seasons and upset fans. We dont have a lot of sway, but we have some. Show some guts Wood and the rest of the G5 ADs.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 04:14 PM by monarx.)
01-13-2014 04:13 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(01-13-2014 04:13 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 02:24 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  I would think that the BCS conferences who pull off something like this would be ripe for an anti-trust claim from the smaller schools.

You would think, but the problem is the G5 schools (Wood included) seem more than happy to let them do this as long as we get to keep playing them for money games. I dont like it at all. I want to be able to play on close to an even playing field like it is in hoops. Yes, I realize in hoops we may not beat UNC often, but at least we have a chance to pull an upset, and theres an opportunity to go to the real championship and with some luck make some noise like many mid majors have. We now have 4 mid majors with F4s on their resume in the last 10 years. Never thought that would happen. The G5 need to stay strong and demand that our champions have access to a playoff in return for this stuff. The P5 need us or there will be a lot more of them with losing seasons and upset fans. We dont have a lot of sway, but we have some. Show some guts Wood and the rest of the G5 ADs.

Question for the older Monarchs. It seems like quite a few mid-majors made the Final Four in the 70s and 80s; WKU, Marquette, Charlotte and St. Bonaventure are all examples. At the time, did they make a big deal when this happened?
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 04:51 PM by Monarchist13.)
01-13-2014 04:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.