Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Against These Physical Interior Teams.......
Bookmark and Share
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
Against These Physical Interior Teams.......
[/b] WE MUST START PELLOM.....

I'm sorry, But Austin is just NOT physical enough yet, and this will make him of no use to us in the post season if WE keep allowing him to wear himself out!

WE are asking too much of him right now....and he would be better served facing the opposing teams second unit players that are less experienced....This will also allow him to learn at a pace, as opposed to being thrown-in and dealing with frustration & fatigue>

The BE mantra was being VERY physical> The only player down low that WE have that remotely fits that bill IS Pellom, maybe SHAQ & MAYBE BIG DOM but ofcourse WE know that he is only good for spurts(by the way that WE utilize him ofcourse)

WE really have NO reason to be considered a fast-paced offense....It will help US blowout subpar teams> But, It's NOT going to get US any advantage over higher tier teams>>>>>>WE tried that in the first game against OKSU & WE tried that against CINCY> It aint gonna get US NOWHERE FAST>>>>>BOOK IT
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 01:41 PM by thagr82008.)
01-09-2014 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
RE: Against These Physical Interior Teams.......
Physical interior teams..... like Louisville? Or do you mean when we play Cincy again or SMU and such?
01-09-2014 01:13 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(01-09-2014 01:13 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  Physical interior teams..... like Louisville? Or do you mean when we play Cincy again or SMU and such?

+5 Correct! The answer is D) All of the above

Former BIG EAST teams and SEC like Florida> Thes teams are NOT going to allow us to OUTRUN them....WE even let subpar teams score too easily when WE press or RUN & GUN05-nono
01-09-2014 01:43 PM
cscottl1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Austin should have a competitive advantage against bruisers on the offensive end. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but we should at least be able to counter with high BB IQ, speed and elbow jumper. Shaq and Nichols can both hit the little jumper. We gotta stretch the defense against these banger teams and get them out of their comfort zone.
01-09-2014 01:55 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 01:43 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 01:13 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  Physical interior teams..... like Louisville? Or do you mean when we play Cincy again or SMU and such?

Former BIG EAST teams and SEC like Florida> Thes teams are NOT going to allow us to OUTRUN them....WE even let subpar teams score too easily when WE press or RUN & GUN05-nono

I wouldn't worry about Louisville being a "physical interior team". If you've watched them, they're a lot like us and UConn, pretty thin up front.
01-09-2014 01:56 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(01-09-2014 01:11 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  [/b] WE MUST START PELLOM.....

I'm sorry, But Austin is just NOT physical enough yet, and this will make him of no use to us in the post season if WE keep allowing him to wear himself out!

WE are asking too much of him right now....and he would be better served facing the opposing teams second unit players that are less experienced....This will also allow him to learn at a pace, as opposed to being thrown-in and dealing with frustration & fatigue>

The BE mantra was being VERY physical> The only player down low that WE have that remotely fits that bill IS Pellom, maybe SHAQ & MAYBE BIG DOM but ofcourse WE know that he is only good for spurts(by the way that WE utilize him ofcourse)

WE really have NO reason to be considered a fast-paced offense....It will help US blowout subpar teams> But, It's NOT going to get US any advantage over higher tier teams>>>>>>WE tried that in the first game against OKSU & WE tried that against CINCY> It aint gonna get US NOWHERE FAST>>>>>BOOK IT

Against those teams we should start Nichols, Goodwin and Pellom.

Height=basketball
01-09-2014 02:04 PM
Advertisement

TiminMem23 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(01-09-2014 01:56 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

I wouldn't worry about Louisville being a "physical interior team". If you've watched them, they're a lot like us and UConn, pretty thin up front.

Yep. We match up well against both L'ville and UCONN from what I've seen. It's the teams that have big, physical, imposing front courts that will continue to be a big problem for us. UK, for instance, would destroy us this season.
01-09-2014 02:07 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 02:07 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  

Yep. We match up well against both L'ville and UCONN from what I've seen. It's the teams that have big, physical, imposing front courts that will continue to be a big problem for us. UK, for instance, would destroy us this season.

Yep, that would be a bad matchup, but UK probably has the best front court around.
01-09-2014 02:10 PM
TigerFan386 Offline
1st String

I like starting Austin because if he does have it going early, watch out. If not, you bring in Pellom who is instant energy and you know exactly what he is gonna bring. Austin and Shaq have proven they can be deadly together if they have it going, so its worth taking that risk in the first 8 minutes to let them try to start something. Real problem is them having no space to operate with teams now just clogging the paint.
01-09-2014 02:16 PM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(01-09-2014 02:10 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 02:07 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  

Yep, that would be a bad matchup, but UK probably has the best front court around.

Not to mention they have big guards. The Harrisons and James Young are all 6'6". Andrew Harrison is already really good, and he's only going to get better. Cal doesn't like short players.
01-09-2014 02:17 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 02:17 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  Not to mention they have big guards. The Harrisons and James Young are all 6'6". Andrew Harrison is already really good, and he's only going to get better. Cal doesn't like short players.

Their guards are big, but a tad on the slow side and it is painfully obvious that they are freshmen.

Still, the best way to play consistently from game to game is to out rebound everyone and get to the FT line more than anyone. UK does both very well.
01-09-2014 02:20 PM
Advertisement

thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(01-09-2014 02:20 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 02:17 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  Not to mention they have big guards. The Harrisons and James Young are all 6'6". Andrew Harrison is already really good, and he's only going to get better. Cal doesn't like short players.

Their guards are big, but a tad on the slow side and it is painfully obvious that they are freshmen.

Still, the best way to play consistently from game to game is to out rebound everyone and get to the FT line more than anyone. UK does both very well.

That aspect alone totally demoralizes the opposing team> I was so excited as WE were consistently getting fouls against the bigs from CINCY> They were starting to get into early trouble in the first half, It was actually looking VERY promising,.....Then , out of nowhere, the early discipline that we showed early just mysteriously flew out window and it was ALL downhill from there>.Our guards commenced to jack'n up perimeter shots> And that plays into a team like CINCY's hands really well!05-nono
01-09-2014 02:28 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 02:28 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

That aspect alone totally demoralizes the opposing team> I was so excited as WE were consistently getting fouls against the bigs from CINCY> They were starting to get into early trouble in the first half, It was actually looking VERY promising,.....Then , out of nowhere, the early discipline that we showed early just mysteriously flew out window and it was ALL downhill from there>.Our guards commenced to jack'n up perimeter shots> And that plays into a team like CINCY's hands really well!05-nono

Since conference play started, we've been getting to the FT line less and less. Every coach will tell you that when your shot isn't falling, get to the FT line for some easy conversions to get things moving again.

Gotta get back on track in this respect.
01-09-2014 02:30 PM
450bench Offline

(01-09-2014 02:30 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

Since conference play started, we've been getting to the FT line less and less. Every coach will tell you that when your shot isn't falling, get to the FT line for some easy conversions to get things moving again.

Which means drive the ball more and get the bigs involved inside. When the team began to get momentum, that is what we did and what we need to do again. Austin and Shaq need touches.
01-09-2014 02:38 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 02:38 PM)450bench Wrote:  

Which means drive the ball more and get the bigs involved inside. When the team began to get momentum, that is what we did and what we need to do again. Austin and Shaq need touches.

Has nothing to do with the bigs, IMO. We need our guards getting to the line, at least Dixon, Geron and Joe (I gave up on Chris two years ago).

Shaq will get his like he always does; Austin is shooting like 55% so I'm not sure we want him shooting too many.
01-09-2014 02:51 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
All teams with good physical interior teams are good- and beat a lot of teams. Our team is good, and will beat a lot of teams.
01-09-2014 03:27 PM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-09-2014 01:55 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  Austin should have a competitive advantage against bruisers on the offensive end. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but we should at least be able to counter with high BB IQ, speed and elbow jumper. Shaq and Nichols can both hit the little jumper. We gotta stretch the defense against these banger teams and get them out of their comfort zone.

His competitive edge is that he is extremely coordinated, has a nice arsenal of moves and can finish with either hand. The edge is somewhat negated by the fact that he isn't super quick or a great leaper. When he gets stronger he will be unstoppable.
01-09-2014 03:35 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-09-2014 03:35 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 01:55 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  Austin should have a competitive advantage against bruisers on the offensive end. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but we should at least be able to counter with high BB IQ, speed and elbow jumper. Shaq and Nichols can both hit the little jumper. We gotta stretch the defense against these banger teams and get them out of their comfort zone.

His competitive edge is that he is extremely coordinated, has a nice arsenal of moves and can finish with either hand. The edge is somewhat negated by the fact that he isn't super quick or a great leaper. When he gets stronger he will be unstoppable.

And he shoots the 15ft shot well, which we seem to have abandoned in favor of the 3 shot by guards free-lancing.
01-09-2014 03:39 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-09-2014 02:38 PM)450bench Wrote:  

The team only had momentum when we were in transition and Joe Jackson was driving down the middle. When Cincy decided to force us to make open shots from outside, the rest of the game was a struggle.

Like it or not, we are going to live and die by the 3 point shot, and there is nothing that Pastner or anyone else can do about it. That doesn't mean that we have to shoot 25 of them every game; but as Canes stated, we have to start hitting at least 35% of them.

If we start hitting them, it will open everything up for us to beat you in 3 or 4 different ways. If we can't, other teams will easily be able to shut everything else down like Cincy did.

If this is difficult to understand; picture all of our guards as Andre Allen. Cincy defended all of our guards the same way opponents would defend AA.

3 Point Shooting

Andre Allen
2007: 28.9%
2008: 29.3%

Memphis
2013: 37.2%
2014: 29.2%
01-09-2014 03:43 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-09-2014 03:39 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 03:35 PM)Stammers Wrote:  

And he shoots the 15ft shot well, which we seem to have abandoned in favor of the 3 shot by guards free-lancing.

If opposing guards are guarding the ball 23' away from the rim; the 15 footer is available. If opposing guards are sagging to 20' there isn't going to be any room to make that pass. Nichols had a couple of opportunities a little closer than that and had his shot blocked both times. He also missed a layup where he ran too far under the basket. Shaq had one opportunity and missed from that distance.
01-09-2014 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.