Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How much longer does Porter Moser get at Loyola-Chicago?
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
As of tonight his record there is 28-48 and 7-30 in conference play. He got an extension last year, but not sure what that means now days. In 10 years as a head coach his best conference record was 8-6 at UALR. He hasn't been close to .500 at Illinois State or Loyola. It's amazing to me that some of the same folks who complain about Steve being "mediocre" pine over a coach whose overall record is well below .500 and showed absolutely no improvement in his 3 years here. To each his own.
01-08-2014 11:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: How much longer does Porter Moser get at Loyola-Chicago?
He may get a while longer. That is a rebuilding situation in a good conference.
01-09-2014 06:32 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Mjs, don't forget that the ill st job was a total rebuild too and the coach after him took what he had recruited and made the top 25 the next year.

Context is everything when quoted the bible or trying to say steve is great.

Anyway, i love you man and will see you at the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
01-09-2014 08:52 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 08:52 AM)insideualr Wrote:  Mjs, don't forget that the ill st job was a total rebuild too and the coach after him took what he had recruited and made the top 25 the next year.

Context is everything when quoted the bible or trying to say steve is great.

Anyway, i love you man and will see you at the game.

The coach who replaces Porter always does well, proving Porter is a great coach. Makes sense.
01-09-2014 08:57 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

No way to know for sure but if porter had top 25 team recruited he was probably about to make a run in the mvc which was rolling back the. With 2 to.3 teams a year in the ncaa.

Is he better than steve?

I dont know.

Can we do better than steve or porter?

Yes, we can hire a coach that can win at this school both in and out of conference and in Tournaments.

I dare not dream too much

[Image: hyjyde8e.jpg]

01-09-2014 09:03 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 09:03 AM)insideualr Wrote:  No way to know for sure but if porter had top 25 team recruited he was probably about to make a run in the mvc which was rolling back the. With 2 to.3 teams a year in the ncaa.

Is he better than steve?

I dont know.

Yes, we can hire a coach that can win at this school both in and out of conference and in Tournaments.

It's still amazing to me that we have never had a coach leave UALR (for any reason) and have success somewhere else. Kestenbaum, Newell, Platt, and Porter all had subsequent DI jobs and failed. Happy, Wimp, and Sidney never coached again. Does any other DI program have a comparable history of futility of ex-coaches. Not sure what it means, but it is interesting.
01-09-2014 09:29 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 09:29 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 09:03 AM)insideualr Wrote:  No way to know for sure but if porter had top 25 team recruited he was probably about to make a run in the mvc which was rolling back the. With 2 to.3 teams a year in the ncaa.

Is he better than steve?

I dont know.

It's still amazing to me that we have never had a coach leave UALR (for any reason) and have success somewhere else. Kestenbaum, Newell, Platt, and Porter all had subsequent DI jobs and failed. Happy, Wimp, and Sidney never coached again. Does any other DI program have a comparable history of futility of ex-coaches. Not sure what it means, but it is interesting.

We'll probably never know about Steve, because he'll probably be here for the rest of his career. It is pretty amazing to me, especially Newell and Porter. I thought both of those guys would do great. Maybe they just made bad choices in where they chose to coach. And both made possibly poor career decisions. Mike allegedly turned down the Marquette job, and Porter left St. Louis, where he might have gotten the job following Majerus. Life takes some luck, and they just had some bad luck with their choices.04-cheers
01-09-2014 10:02 AM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Put me in the camp of "fire Steve" and a guy who thinks Porter is overrated on here, much like Kimmo as a player. It's a lonely camp, though, as I think I'm the only one in it!
01-09-2014 10:58 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
If Porter had stayed at SLU he would be national news right now.
01-09-2014 11:25 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 10:58 AM)eh9198 Wrote:  Put me in the camp of "fire Steve" and a guy who thinks Porter is overrated on here, much like Kimmo as a player. It's a lonely camp, though, as I think I'm the only one in it!

Porter had an incredible turnaround the season after Sidney won 4 games. Maybe that just shows how ill-prepared Sidney was to coach college basketball. I don't really know. I do know that Porter's record here never improved after that first year and he will have his 7th straight losing season as a coach, by the time this season is over. Not sure on Kimmo. He has been a very good international player and has been a part of Finland's most successful national team ever. We don't agree on "fire Steve", but I understand that all coach's popularity decreases, over time, unless they win big.
01-09-2014 11:41 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

(01-09-2014 10:58 AM)eh9198 Wrote:  Put me in the camp of "fire Steve" and a guy who thinks Porter is overrated on here, much like Kimmo as a player. It's a lonely camp, though, as I think I'm the only one in it!

LOL, I missed out on the Porter years, Kimmo, I did think was the player that would have pushed the Graber teams over the hump.

All are in the get a winner for a coach camp but Jim and mjs, imo.

That would include all 15ish posters and the other 30 lurkers, which make up all the people in central arkansas that give a damn about ualr basketball.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 01:34 PM by insideualr.)
01-09-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
Don't agree that Kimmo wasn't a very good Sun Belt player. Don't remember who posted that. I know it wasn't mjs. I agree with insider that he was probably the missing link on Graber's team.

I've noticed that the only UALR coaches that mjs thinks that were any good were Shields, Platt and Kestenbaum. The others, Newell, Porter, Wimp, and Sidney(we agree on this one) weren't very good. Probably mediocre or bad(Sidney).

I never saw Kestenbaum coach but I have seen his record, and it was very good. Obviously did a good job here under dire circumstances, despite driving a Pinto. Never mentions that Shields got off to a pretty good start with Porter's recruits, then things started going downhill as he had to play with his own recruits. Doesn't mention that Platt came in after five 20 win seasons in a row under Newell, and couldn't win despite being a surprisingly good recruiter. I can't remember, but I'm sure he probably has mentioned a few times that Newell probably left the cubbard empty. But, he does often mention that Wimp won simply because of Platt's recruits. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with Wimp being a pretty fair coach to begin with.

And what is most surprisingly about this is that I know that Mickey is very knowledgeable about basketball. Just doesn't like certain coaches I guess.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 02:36 PM by LRTrojan.)
01-09-2014 02:10 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 02:10 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  Don't agree that Kimmo wasn't a very good Sun Belt player. Don't remember who posted that. I know it wasn't mjs. I agree with insider that he was probably the missing link on Graber's team.

I've noticed that the only UALR coaches that mjs thinks that were any good were Shields, Platt and Kestenbaum. The others, Newell, Porter, Wimp, and Sidney(we agree on this one) weren't very good. Probably mediocre or bad(Sidney).

I never saw Kestenbaum coach but I have seen his record, and it was very good. Obviously did a good job here under dire circumstances, despite driving a Pinto. Never mentions that Shields got off to a pretty good start with Porter's recruits, then things started going downhill as he had to play with his own recruits. Doesn't mention that Platt came in after five 20 win seasons in a row under Newell, and couldn't win despite being a surprisingly good recruiter. I can't remember, but I'm sure he probably has mentioned a few times that Newell probably left the cubbard empty. But, he does often mention that Wimp won simply because of Platt's recruits. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with Wimp being a pretty fair coach to begin with.

And what is most surprisingly about this is that I know that Mickey is very knowledgeable about basketball. Just doesn't like certain coaches I guess.

I think I was the one who felt that had Kimmo stayed, we might have won it all that year. I don't think Inside was around at that time, was he? And Kestenbaum got a raw deal because the powers that be at that time wanted Newell, the golden boy from Oklahoma. He was more attractive than the yankee kid from Brooklyn. But Kestenbaum did great here, and was one lucky shot away from the NCAA. I'll bet to this day he sees Eric Hightower in his nightmares making that impossible last second shot to beat us in the finals.04-cheers
01-09-2014 03:25 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I can't wait to start up with Georgia Southern again next year!
01-09-2014 03:35 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

next year, next year, lol.

We break that out earlier than any other team in the ncaa.
01-09-2014 04:44 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 02:10 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  Don't agree that Kimmo wasn't a very good Sun Belt player. Don't remember who posted that. I know it wasn't mjs. I agree with insider that he was probably the missing link on Graber's team.

Newell did an excellent job while he was here. Never said he didn't Wimp was probably the best floor coach we ever had here. I don't care that he did it with Platt's players anymore than I care that Steve did it with Porter's players. Porter and Platt couldn't do any better than mediocre while they were here. That's all that matters. We don't know whether Porter or Platt would have ever won here with their players, only that they didn't. I don't dislike any of our ex-coaches. The only thing I don't like is idolizing coaches once they move on to "bigger and better" things especially when the bigger and better things never panned out. Porter is a well below .500 coach since he left. The only point I've tried to make about Newell (apparently not very well) is- If he was that great a coach, there would be one DI AD in the country who would have figured that out after he left Lamar. Bob, I know you would have hired him- but no DI AD, who is paid to hire winning coaches, has done so. That tells me a lot.
01-09-2014 05:05 PM
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

(01-09-2014 04:44 PM)insideualr Wrote:  next year, next year, lol.

We break that out earlier than any other team in the ncaa.

+1!
01-09-2014 06:31 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 05:05 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Newell did an excellent job while he was here. Never said he didn't Wimp was probably the best floor coach we ever had here. I don't care that he did it with Platt's players anymore than I care that Steve did it with Porter's players. Porter and Platt couldn't do any better than mediocre while they were here. That's all that matters. We don't know whether Porter or Platt would have ever won here with their players, only that they didn't. I don't dislike any of our ex-coaches. The only thing I don't like is idolizing coaches once they move on to "bigger and better" things especially when the bigger and better things never panned out. Porter is a well below .500 coach since he left. The only point I've tried to make about Newell (apparently not very well) is- If he was that great a coach, there would be one DI AD in the country who would have figured that out after he left Lamar. Bob, I know you would have hired him- but no DI AD, who is paid to hire winning coaches, has done so. That tells me a lot.

And you compare Platt and Porter by calling both mediocre. You call Porter's record mediocre? No comparison. Damn right I'd hire Newell in a moment . I don't know why no AD in the country would hire him. Couldn't be the same reasons they won't hire Shields.
01-09-2014 07:05 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 07:05 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

And you compare Platt and Porter by calling both mediocre. You call Porter's record mediocre? No comparison. Damn right I'd hire Newell in a moment . I don't know why no AD in the country would hire him. Couldn't be the same reasons they won't hire Shields.

Porter is well below mediocre. As I mentioned above his best conference record ever is 8-6. His overall record is well below .500. If we throw out the 3 nonDI wins (as some like to do) he got here every year, it would be a lot worse.
01-09-2014 11:01 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2014 11:01 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 07:05 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

Porter is well below mediocre. As I mentioned above his best conference record ever is 8-6. His overall record is well below .500. If we throw out the 3 nonDI wins (as some like to do) he got here every year, it would be a lot worse.

Jim Platt doesn't compare to Porter Moser as a coach. I'm also basing my opinion on what they did in LR. Name one person on this board who agrees with you on this one.
01-10-2014 05:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.