Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

to calling the hogs--
Bookmark and Share
egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!

That was just great how you closed the thread and ended all discussion. I felt like I was gonna get sent to bed without supper or something. No more discussion than goes on in your board, and I would think you would welcome all talks--guess not.

For the record, I am a Memphis fan--but I couldn't help but to feel like it was some more of the "big kid on the block" syndrome. These schools, like UA, don't want to play schools they look down their nose at. If all ya'll ever play is big schools--the rich get richer. Eventually, that will destroy the smaller schools athletic programs. Do you really think that is good for college sports? I don't--because eventually it will come back to haunt you.

I went to highschool in Little Rock (Central, to be precise) and I sorta still have friends there who are big hawg fans--
03-15-2004 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TIGER50 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

GIZZARD - Never argue with a PIG!!! 04-cheers
03-15-2004 10:49 PM
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Well, egrizzard, you have to study both sides before jumping on one's bandwagon.

If I may....

1) The UA does play smaller schools in football, all the time. Over the last 5 years, we've played everyone from the Sun Belt schools (LA-Monroe, LA-Lafayette, and North Texas and NM State last year), to mid-majors like Boise State, to the major programs like Texas. We will continue to play an assortment of all three, having multi-year deals with LA-Monroe, Tulsa, Texas, Southern Cal, and two with TCU and Oklahoma State in the near future. Sounds like a pretty balanced schedule, don't you think?

2) Here's a business scenario. Unlike states like Tennessee or Louisiana, or even Alabama, Arkansas has only 2 1-A football programs to this date. One is UA, the other is Arkansas State. UA, for decades on end, was the only 1-A program around, so they were THE team of the state. Games were played in LR (and still are) so everyone in the state could watch the team. UA built a state-wide fan base and had a media monopoly, naturally. Now, Arkansas State comes in and demands we play them in football. Now, why would we do that? It's a total losing situation. If we play them and pound them in the ground, we lose fans who think we ran it up on them, and ASU gains sympathizers. If we play them and in a one in a billion chance it ends close, ASU gets fans in east Arkansas who won't travel to our games. Either way, they gain fans, we lose fans, and they'll gain some media, we'll lose it. Why, under any circumstance, would UA be that crazy to give up what they already have?

Also, ASU claims a game between us would be beneficial because it would keep all the money within the state. Well, that point doesn't work either. UA fills up their stadium, then ASU goes to be a sacrificial lamb for an Oklahoma or LSU. Well, the state gets all the royalties from UA games, ASU gets a check from LSU...so in the end, more money goes to the state by UA NOT playing ASU.

This isn't about Frank Broyles, it isn't about any article saying UA is trying to hold ASU down on every aspect. This is about ASU earning the respect of UA to play UA. UA has already stated they would play ASU if ASU sold out their stadium (it only seats 33,000) for games, and if they also joined a conference bigger than the Sun Belt (more like C-USA). ASU just needs to be quiet, quit whining, build their own program on their own merit, and then, if successful, they can complain.

And on one final point... the 2nd largest crowd ASU had in football was 20,000 against Ole Miss. The largest was a sellout of 33,000 when ASU played D-2 Central Arkansas, who only lost to ASU by a point, 35-34, in the last minute. ASU has then refused to play UCA, even though it's a sure-fire sellout with money "staying in the state". Why don't you ask ASU that question?

The topic on ASU was closed because ASU fans kept posting the same crap that was shot down. When a point was made that they couldn't defend, they jumped to a new topic. It doesn't work that way. Some boards wouldn't mind that because of post count, but here, I could tell right away that the ASU fans were just going to do the same whining they've done on all UA boards, without any vaild points made. Even their so-called brilliant article was proven invalid to the topic before it was posted. ASU fans just don't get it; they will NEVER earn UA's respect if they just whine and *****. They need to win games, build fan bases, etc. to impress us. Their whining will only make us laugh more at them.

WPS
03-16-2004 11:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
egrizzard Offline
What?

04-bow First, let me say this--it is an absolute pleasure to "argue" with someone who can keep it civil. To me, that isa the whole point of a messageboard. Too often, people get ugly--

Over the years Memphis fans have heard a lot of garbage from UT about it being a losing proposition. A case of big boys versus not so big boys, if you will. Then they turn around and play someone like little sisters of the poor and claim it was a good proposition. It is almost like a monopoly, don't you think? If you are eating all the pie, how is the skinny kid ever supposed to gain weight?

As far as the loss of fans goes, gosh. Are they really fans if they jump after a loss or close game? That was the arguement that I made with some Ole Miss cats here lately too. (about memphis being dangerous to their fan base)

The sad truth is this--college athletics has become a business. It is a shame, but it is true. You seem to be pretty intelligent, and you have helped make my case.

I guess my question i this--you will play La -directional school of your choice-because it is a home and home proposition, right?
But not Astate because---why? I have read that section over and over, and just don't get it. Astate may go to LSU or wherever, but what does that have to do with the UA playing them? Seems to me that that would happen whether you play them or not. Just like UA went to Texas---

The only thing I really conclude from your post--and I am not trying to make you mad--is UA sees it as a losing proposition. They will feed the puppy (astate) that may groiw into a big dawg--why feed something that could bite you/ In other words--why create competition (recruits, money-fans) when you have it all now?

That's what smaller schools really mean when they say ya'll are scared. If you look at your post, that is exactly what is being said--??????
03-17-2004 09:37 AM
Advertisement

calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Ok, after reading your posts, I'll drop another $0.02

I can understand your gripes towards UT. However, Memphis has the money, the fan base, and the facilities needed to make that gripe legitimate. Unlike ASU, Memphis actually went out and built their program on their own sweat and tears. They've earned the respect of other schools because instead of whining and moaning, they busted tail and built a program. That's why UA hasn't had problems playing Memphis, even if you guys have the ability to take some of our east AR fan base away.

ASU hasn't been able to build a program. They've had pathetic leadership in their ath. dept. and in their administration. While the UA is able to fund their program by raising over $9 million a year through the Razorback Foundation, ASU, since moving up, is in such financial disarray that the state gov't is forking over millions to keep them afloat. Not only that, their president was taking money out of their endowment for academic programs and forking it to the ath. department. That's wrong in my opinion. But whose fault do they blame...it's not the fault of their board or anyone on their behalf, no, it's the fault of Frank Broyles and the UA for not playing them. That's a crock. ASU is convinced the only way they can succeed is to play UA and take over part of our fan base. That doesn't work either. For example, ASU's attendance in football has gone down since joining 1-A. The reason is simple; when ASU was in 1-AA, and didn't attack UA 24/7, UA fans in east Arkansas didn't mind rooting for ASU too and even showed up for some ASU games. When ASU decided UA was their scapegoat for everything, UA fans said forget it; cause if they had to choose, it's gonna be UA.

So the response is simple on our part. If ASU really wants to play us, they need to do like you guys at Memphis did and earn our respect by building their own program instead of tearing down someone else's. As the old adage goes "You catch more flies with honey then vinegar".

As for the part of small schools saying they are scared... just ask yourself this... since college athletics is a business, as you say, and you ran a large, profitable store, and another store was built across the street and struggling due to poor product and service, and did nothing but badmouth you all day and blame you for their woes, would you want to help them out any? It's not about being scared of them, it's about good business tatics.

WPS
03-17-2004 11:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
egrizzard Offline
What?

Well, great post. I think it is obvious astate has some work to do. No doubt. I also think that is a shame that it is a business, but it obviously is. Schools have to do what they have to do---

I just worry that over time, it will destroy smaller schools. Then what happens? Well, someone has to be on the bottom of the heap. no?

For example--and I know I sound like chicken little:

When the new BCS contracts are made--Vandy can no longer win, or compete. Heck, they are really struggling now. Vandy no longer meets the requirements of 1a ball. Or they decide that their athletic program is just continuing to lose money--so they drop a division.
One less schmuck team on the schedule for everybody. One less automatic win. That means, say UA has to schedule one more difficult team. Win or lose?

Kinda like the CSU coach who said "if I can't be a part of their bcs, maybe we should not play BCS schools. let them eat their young"

What would happen if the Miami's and UGA's of the world had to only play each other every week? Why is it not like pro sports if that is what we are gonna do.

Why is March Madness so great? BECAUSE THE LIL GUY HAS A SHOT.
03-17-2004 12:28 PM
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

egrizzard Wrote:Why is March Madness so great? BECAUSE THE LIL GUY HAS A SHOT.
Just remember, the lil guy EARNS his way into March Madness; they don't earn a chance through whining and complaining.

I've said before that there needs to be a 1-A, 1-AA, and 1-AAA. The mid-majors should all go into 1-AA, the present 1-AA becomes 1-AAA, and all 3 divisions hold playoffs. Personally, if a team in 1-A goes undefeated and can't win a national title, what's the use of being in 1-A?
03-18-2004 04:00 PM
ASUClyde Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Calling_the_Hogs

I have not posted in a couple days because I wasn't sure how I wanted to respond to your posts. I have chosen to respond by apologizing for being a smart-aleck and respectfully agreeing to disagree. I will not change your attitude and you will not change mine.

P.S. The reason ASU does not play UCA anymore is because NCAA forbits DI teams to play DII teams. They are now phasing out DIAA teams as well.
04-cheers
03-19-2004 01:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.