Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A question for Saturday, then a question for Sunday
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
A question for Saturday, then a question for Sunday
Saturday's question:

What social issue will we be talking about in 30 years?

My guess genetic engineering. If you haven't seen GATTACA I suggest you watch it. We are going to see a greater separation of the classes where genetic diseases Jerry Lewis used to have his telethon on won't exist for those with means. I even believe within 100 years we won't procreate like we do today. Too much inherent risk. The only unplanned pregnancies will be in the lower classes. 4000 genes separate us from chimpanzees. If we have the ability to modify say 400 genes within 10 generations you will have the evolutionary jump equivalent from an engineered human to a human as a chimpanzee to a human. They will become a separate species.

Sunday's question:

What if humanity technologically evolves the ability to provide things for free? First thing on the docket Energy. If this is feasible do you see our political system allowing this?
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 10:05 AM by Machiavelli.)
12-28-2013 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
RE: A question for Saturday, then a question for Sunday
(12-28-2013 10:04 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Saturday's question:

Sunday's question:

What if humanity technologically evolves the ability to provide things for free? First thing on the docket Energy. If this is feasible do you see our political system allowing this?

I must answer Sunday's question for you to understand the answer to Saturday's question:

Conservation of energy states that "In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system cannot change—it is said to be conserved over time. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but can change form, for instance chemical energy can be converted to kinetic energy in the explosion of a stick of dynamite.

A: NOTHING is free and never will be. To become usable, all things must be converted into raw energy. That costs money, and your question is a pipe dream. This is your general misconception of reality, judging from your many off basis posts.

Saturday's question:

Newtons 1st law - nothing changes unless acted upon
Newtons 2nd law - F=ma, Mass must be forced to move
Newtons 3rd law - For every action, there is an equal reaction

In 30 years, we will be discussing the same thing we are today but in retrospect. Why did the Liberals and RINOs mortgage away our futures? Why does the entire country resemble Detroit of 2010? Why are people starving, and why did we give the Chinese so much of our land in trade for our debt? I'm sure those people will held liable for their actions, and there will be an equal reaction.

A: Do we hang them in the public square or use a firing squad?
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 10:18 AM by Jerry Falwell.)
12-28-2013 10:17 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Seems like two threads and one of them was started a day early. 03-wink
12-28-2013 10:18 AM
Machiavelli Offline

You live in the past Jerry with a dystopian view on our future.
12-28-2013 10:36 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I am hopeful that technology will save us from the disaster I see coming and allow me to see this future. Ray Kurzweil spells this stuff out in his futurist writings. Check him out. He paints a pretty optimistic future all based on the premise that computer power and nano technology will change our society in ways we can not imagine now.
12-28-2013 10:46 AM
Machiavelli Offline

I'm more than hopeful. I'm convinced technology will lead us out of the abortion debate too but pitfalls lie in that path too.
12-28-2013 11:08 AM
Advertisement

Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

(12-28-2013 10:36 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  You live in the past Jerry with a dystopian view on our future.

I went to college and learned about why things happen, and how they happen. I mastered the subject material and got the highest notable bachelors' degree the University has ever issued.

I'd say I live in reality, and you live in a dream world. Sorry about your fallen Utopia.
12-28-2013 11:13 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Some of these posts sounds like talking points taken from an old The Technocrats’ Magazine.
12-28-2013 11:16 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(12-28-2013 11:08 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I'm more than hopeful. I'm convinced technology will lead us out of the abortion debate too but pitfalls lie in that path too.

Frankly...I hope it solves some other problems first. That one..I am afraid will never happen. If the "time of conception" is established...a new debate will ensue. Nothing will ever satisfy a segment of the population other than a prohibition on the practice...Nothing. For clarity...I would prefer the practice end also. Maybe medical science can help with a better methods of contraception?
12-28-2013 11:22 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(12-28-2013 10:36 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  You live in the past Jerry with a dystopian view on our future.

Laws of physics = past..
12-28-2013 11:22 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(12-28-2013 11:22 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Laws of physics = past..

Kurzeweil's theories do not contradict the laws of physics. They have to do mostly with increased computer power and the snowball affect it would create...and is creating now. No one could have envisioned in 1970 that your cell phone today could hold many times more computing power than an entire floor of the most powerful computer on earth at MIT. His claim is that we are nearing the next big jump in that technology.. and when that occurs?...We can't really grasp now how it will change things. It is interesting anyway.
12-28-2013 11:32 AM
Advertisement

dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
Graphene

I read that solar cells with graphene couple potentially have 60% conversion efficiency.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 03:05 PM by dmacfour.)
12-28-2013 02:59 PM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

So.... solar cells and cell phones are going to be free now? IS this the question of the post?

I think this commie just asked if the Feds should make a private payer electrical grid. It never stops with these fruitcakes.
12-28-2013 06:21 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Follow the directions. You have three more hours fruitcake.
12-28-2013 09:26 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Plastics.

Anywho, about your first question: Some of us will be appalled when our national debt hits 100 trillion, and others will be appalled we don't spend more to help those that all that previous money also didn't help.
12-28-2013 09:47 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
To answer the first question, I think that problems will arise when wearable and implanted computing devices are further developed. What kind of damage will hackers be able to do when Brain Computer Interfaces are further developed?

Second, I don't think anything will be free until we find a way to turn raw material of any kind into food, medicine, and consumer items. We'd also need free energy.
12-28-2013 09:55 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(12-28-2013 10:04 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Saturday's question:

My guess genetic engineering.

Yes, I think that's true.

What can be done, and what should be done. Who can afford to do what. All big issues on the horizon.
12-30-2013 08:34 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
We'll be discussing the issues that Argentina is now. Inflation, how to smuggle in other currencies, not having enough material goods/food to meet our needs as we climb out of the crater after hyperinflation/default.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2013 09:55 AM by Jugnaut.)
12-30-2013 09:11 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(12-28-2013 10:46 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  I am hopeful that technology will save us from the disaster I see coming and allow me to see this future. Ray Kurzweil spells this stuff out in his futurist writings. Check him out. He paints a pretty optimistic future all based on the premise that computer power and nano technology will change our society in ways we can not imagine now.

Are you stupid enough to fall for that? I expected more out of you. 04-chairshot

[Image: The-Host.jpg]

Or maybe you just like the chrome cars. All about appearance in the here and now. What future?

[Image: lotus-1.jpg]
12-30-2013 09:47 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(12-28-2013 11:32 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(12-28-2013 11:22 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Laws of physics = past..

Kurzeweil's theories do not contradict the laws of physics. They have to do mostly with increased computer power and the snowball affect it would create...and is creating now. No one could have envisioned in 1970 that your cell phone today could hold many times more computing power than an entire floor of the most powerful computer on earth at MIT. His claim is that we are nearing the next big jump in that technology.. and when that occurs?...We can't really grasp now how it will change things. It is interesting anyway.

Cell phones, coupled with social media, has helped ruin a normal lifestyle. Meeting on the internet, dating sites, Facebook, Tweeter, whatever all those other ones are... It's ridiculous. If anything, technology has f*cked us all in the ass. Imagine what would happen if Facebook shut down for 24 hours.
12-30-2013 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.