Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

discussions with aggies
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
discussions with aggies
I failed as a father. Both my children graduated from the aggie, and my son-in-law is an aggie. Anyway my daughter and son-in-law were here for Thanksgiving weekend and we all enjoyed watching Texas stomp Texas Tech. I knew there was going to be trouble when My son-in-law declared how pissed he was at Texas. So I'm thinking here we go with the LHN discussion again. But no the aggie takes a different tack. He states if it wasn't for politics at Texas that Texas would be in the top 5 every year. Then my daughter, my sweet innocent daughter piles on stating that it is the Longhorns fault that so many Texas recruits leave the state for other schools. After hours of discussion on why their argument lacks merit or logic, I finally got to the root of their issues. They hate Alabama, they hate that Texas students leave Texas for other schools, and they really hate that Texas isn't considered better than Alabama, in the eyes of the rest of the country. They kept bringing their argument back to the University of Texas, because we have the wherewithal to have the best talent, and therefore keeping it from going to other schools. I tried to explain to the the concepts of scholarships, NCAA rules, and even some economics, all to no avail. I even gave them an out by dragging poor old Mack Brown into the conversation. Not even a nibble.

I failed as a father.
12-10-2013 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
RE: discussions with aggies
(12-10-2013 12:30 PM)bevotex Wrote:  I failed as a father. Both my children graduated from the aggie, and my son-in-law is an aggie. Anyway my daughter and son-in-law were here for Thanksgiving weekend and we all enjoyed watching Texas stomp Texas Tech. I knew there was going to be trouble when My son-in-law declared how pissed he was at Texas. So I'm thinking here we go with the LHN discussion again. But no the aggie takes a different tack. He states if it wasn't for politics at Texas that Texas would be in the top 5 every year. Then my daughter, my sweet innocent daughter piles on stating that it is the Longhorns fault that so many Texas recruits leave the state for other schools. After hours of discussion on why their argument lacks merit or logic, I finally got to the root of their issues. They hate Alabama, they hate that Texas students leave Texas for other schools, and they really hate that Texas isn't considered better than Alabama, in the eyes of the rest of the country. They kept bringing their argument back to the University of Texas, because we have the wherewithal to have the best talent, and therefore keeping it from going to other schools. I tried to explain to the the concepts of scholarships, NCAA rules, and even some economics, all to no avail. I even gave them an out by dragging poor old Mack Brown into the conversation. Not even a nibble.

I failed as a father.

My sympathies, state of Texas has such a abundance of talent, it's rich recruiting grounds for a lot of schools...good for the kids who get the scholarships, good for the programs who get these kids to play at their schools.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 04:56 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
12-10-2013 04:54 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(12-10-2013 12:30 PM)bevotex Wrote:  I failed as a father. Both my children graduated from the aggie, and my son-in-law is an aggie. Anyway my daughter and son-in-law were here for Thanksgiving weekend and we all enjoyed watching Texas stomp Texas Tech. I knew there was going to be trouble when My son-in-law declared how pissed he was at Texas. So I'm thinking here we go with the LHN discussion again. But no the aggie takes a different tack. He states if it wasn't for politics at Texas that Texas would be in the top 5 every year. Then my daughter, my sweet innocent daughter piles on stating that it is the Longhorns fault that so many Texas recruits leave the state for other schools. After hours of discussion on why their argument lacks merit or logic, I finally got to the root of their issues. They hate Alabama, they hate that Texas students leave Texas for other schools, and they really hate that Texas isn't considered better than Alabama, in the eyes of the rest of the country. They kept bringing their argument back to the University of Texas, because we have the wherewithal to have the best talent, and therefore keeping it from going to other schools. I tried to explain to the the concepts of scholarships, NCAA rules, and even some economics, all to no avail. I even gave them an out by dragging poor old Mack Brown into the conversation. Not even a nibble.

I failed as a father.

Don't be so hard on yourself, bevotex. A lot of kids rebel against their parents by doing drugs, turning to prostitution and marrying Aggies. All you can really do is pray a lot and spend a lot of money on cleaning solvents. 04-cheers

EDIT: To any non-Texan reading this, it's all said in jest. We grew up telling Aggie jokes and there never was any true maliciousness involved. Truth is, although I grew up a Longhorn fan, I was supposed to attend A&M myself, if I hadn't be sidetracked by an evil female. 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 05:07 PM by Zombiewoof.)
12-10-2013 05:05 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Every parent wants their kids to do better than they did.

Both OPs kids did!
12-10-2013 09:39 PM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
I'm calling child welfare.
12-10-2013 10:24 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-10-2013 05:05 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  

I failed as a father.

Don't be so hard on yourself, bevotex. A lot of kids rebel against their parents by doing drugs, turning to prostitution and marrying Aggies. All you can really do is pray a lot and spend a lot of money on cleaning solvents. 04-cheers

EDIT: To any non-Texan reading this, it's all said in jest. We grew up telling Aggie jokes and there never was any true maliciousness involved. Truth is, although I grew up a Longhorn fan, I was supposed to attend A&M myself, if I hadn't be sidetracked by an evil female. 03-banghead

Nanci Griffith?
12-10-2013 10:46 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Not sure why, but this popped in my head .... a verse I read while visiting a friend at the University of Arkansas, many many years ago .... in the dorm's bathroom ....

Here I sit,
muscles flexin' ...
Giving birth
to another Texan ...

12-10-2013 10:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.