Rick Stockstill-Middle Tenn. (24)
Bob Stoops- Oklahoma (23)
Terry Bowden- Akron-(23)
Dennis Franchione-Texas State (22)
Al Golden- Miami,Fla. (25)
Urban Meyer- Ohio State (22)
Dabo Swinney-Clemson (23)
Tommy Tubberville- UC (25)

Thought it was interesting the programs that respect UC enough to vote for them, how about Stoops and Meyer. Coaches who did not have UC in their TOP 25 included:

Louisville--are you kidding me
Michigan State- no love from Dantonio
Rutgers
Central Florida- again, are you kidding me
Tulsa- future conf.mate
Navy- " " "
Notre Dame- surprise,surprise,surprise

Was really surprised at the no votes from Strong and O'Leary.

Hope we beat N.C. and get back in Top 25 to end year.

12-09-2013 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Coaches who voted for UC in USA TODAY Poll
The Dantonio thing does not shock me. He left in the worst possible way from UC and has zero love for UC or the city.

A lot of my UC friends on Facebook posted all kinds of congrats to MD after they beat Ohio State on Saturday night. I can't help but remember that MD is the guy who pulled all of his assistants immediately from UC and told them if they stayed behind to prep for the bowl game that they wouldn't have a job at Michigan State. He said they could come back and prep for 3 days before the bowl game, but that was it. UC had 16 bowl practices to get better as a program, but he wanted none of it. In the end Brian Kelly came in and did bowl prep while he left his entire coaching staff at Central Michigan to coach their bowl game. They then joined him after their bowl game and the full bowl practicing and gameplanning were put in place. That coaching job is probably the most impressive coaching job I've ever seen... an entire staff come in over a couple weeks and learn the new team's playbook and terminology and then go out and win the bowl game.

I probably respect BK for that situation more than any of the big time winning he brought to UC.

And Mark Dantonio can suck my...

12-09-2013 10:37 AM
@ES Trader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I understand the dislike for BK but I feel its more that he left when we knew how good he actually was for the school. I was glad dantonio left never liked the guy. I know he won the big ten championship but i just dont think he is that good of a coach or recruiter. The guy to me seemed to have zero personality.

I would take butch over dantanio but kelly over both.

12-09-2013 10:49 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-09-2013 10:37 AM)mlb Wrote:  The Dantonio thing does not shock me. He left in the worst possible way from UC and has zero love for UC or the city.

A lot of my UC friends on Facebook posted all kinds of congrats to MD after they beat Ohio State on Saturday night. I can't help but remember that MD is the guy who pulled all of his assistants immediately from UC and told them if they stayed behind to prep for the bowl game that they wouldn't have a job at Michigan State. He said they could come back and prep for 3 days before the bowl game, but that was it. UC had 16 bowl practices to get better as a program, but he wanted none of it. In the end Brian Kelly came in and did bowl prep while he left his entire coaching staff at Central Michigan to coach their bowl game. They then joined him after their bowl game and the full bowl practicing and gameplanning were put in place. That coaching job is probably the most impressive coaching job I've ever seen... an entire staff come in over a couple weeks and learn the new team's playbook and terminology and then go out and win the bowl game.

I probably respect BK for that situation more than any of the big time winning he brought to UC.

Truer words were never spoken(or typed in this case). I think a lot of people don't realize how toxic his exit was because not as many fans were paying close attention to UC football back then.
Of all the UC head coaches I've interacted with, he was by far the worst in dealing with fans. Had the personality of a doorknob and put out a vibe that he really didn't want to be here.

12-09-2013 11:00 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(12-09-2013 10:37 AM)mlb Wrote:  The Dantonio thing does not shock me. He left in the worst possible way from UC and has zero love for UC or the city.

Something we can agree on...

12-09-2013 11:12 AM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
(12-09-2013 11:12 AM)eroc Wrote:  

Can't agree here...why in the world would I want Mark D. to suck my....he's not even in my top 10 07-coffee3

Shooter - "You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of sh*t like you for breakfast!"
Happy - "You eat pieces of sh*t for breakfast?"

12-09-2013 11:37 AM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(12-09-2013 11:37 AM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  Can't agree here...why in the world would I want Mark D. to suck my....he's not even in my top 10 07-coffee3

Shooter - "You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of sh*t like you for breakfast!"

04-cheers

12-09-2013 11:38 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(12-09-2013 11:38 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 11:37 AM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  

Can't agree here...why in the world would I want Mark D. to suck my....he's not even in my top 10 07-coffee3

04-cheers
[/quote]

There is that. However, his team did keep Tosu out of the BCS championship game. Now, I hope Stanford cleans Dantonio's clock in the Rose Bowl.COGS

12-09-2013 11:43 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2013 11:37 AM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 11:12 AM)eroc Wrote:  

04-bow

12-09-2013 12:22 PM
thebearcat Offline
Special Teams

im very confused by this thread. i didnt expect to get any votes in top 25. we got some and im pretty happy about that. 9-3 with basically no good wins and 2 bad losses probably isnt top 25 worthy

12-09-2013 01:26 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I have never really understood the remaining love for Brian Kelly in regards to Mark Dantonio...

Dantonio left the program stocked... Brian Kelly, by-and-large, won with Dantonio's kids. On the other hand, everyone talks about this year in relationship to (Butch) Jones' first year. Brian Kelly left the program extremely depleted and Jones came into a team that was truly rebuilding.

Dantonio took a couple of UC players and recruits with him up to East Lansing, the most noteworthy being Brent Celek's little brother and Greg Jones (?). [Hated that, BTW...] Brian Kelly, on the other hand, took a large number of (especially UC recruits) with him up to South Bend, basically destroying the recruiting class. Likewise, Jones killed our class last year.

Dantonio did leave in the middle of the night, but the writing was on the wall when John L. Smith was fired. Kelly, it turned out, was courting Notre Dame ALL SEASON LONG, while lying about it, even reportedly telling the kids on the bus after the Pitt game that "he wasn't going anywhere..." Then the story broke the day of the team banquet, with the memorable scene of Kelly telling the team just before they went in to eat, and the slipping out the back door. Jones... Well, that was just a year ago and we all know the story.

I'm not asking anybody to "like" Dantonio. But I really don't get the remaining love for Kelly. He screwed us over, IMO, worse than Dantonio ever did. I think Jones is the under-rated guy of the bunch, taking a program that BK left in shambles and rebuilding it within three years, though he did destroy the recruiting class in how he left.

In the end, all these guys are nothing more and nothing less than employees and you probably have to look at them in that light. Each of them were brought in to do a job, and how effectively they did that job counts more than whether you "liked" them.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 01:52 PM by BearcatJerry.)
12-09-2013 01:51 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-09-2013 01:26 PM)thebearcat Wrote:  im very confused by this thread. i didnt expect to get any votes in top 25. we got some and im pretty happy about that. 9-3 with basically no good wins and 2 bad losses probably isnt top 25 worthy

Prob not, however the poll is always more of a popularity contest than an objective measure of quality teams.

I do not expect MD or BK to vote for us. They both recruit this area heavily. Giving us credit is not in their best interest to grow their current teams. As stated above, MD never bought into UC. I learned this from one of his assistant coach's wife. He was always looking to get from day one. Not happy with how BK left, however, he did embrace the program and tried to improve the program, while he was here.

12-09-2013 01:53 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-09-2013 01:51 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I have never really understood the remaining love for Brian Kelly in regards to Mark Dantonio...

Dantonio left the program stocked... Brian Kelly, by-and-large, won with Dantonio's kids. On the other hand, everyone talks about this year in relationship to (Butch) Jones' first year. Brian Kelly left the program extremely depleted and Jones came into a team that was truly rebuilding.

Dantonio took a couple of UC players and recruits with him up to East Lansing, the most noteworthy being Brent Celek's little brother and Greg Jones (?). [Hated that, BTW...] Brian Kelly, on the other hand, took a large number of (especially UC recruits) with him up to South Bend, basically destroying the recruiting class. Likewise, Jones killed our class last year.

Dantonio did leave in the middle of the night, but the writing was on the wall when John L. Smith was fired. Kelly, it turned out, was courting Notre Dame ALL SEASON LONG, while lying about it, even reportedly telling the kids on the bus after the Pitt game that "he wasn't going anywhere..." Then the story broke the day of the team banquet, with the memorable scene of Kelly telling the team just before they went in to eat, and the slipping out the back door. Jones... Well, that was just a year ago and we all know the story.

I'm not asking anybody to "like" Dantonio. But I really don't get the remaining love for Kelly. He screwed us over, IMO, worse than Dantonio ever did. I think Jones is the under-rated guy of the bunch, taking a program that BK left in shambles and rebuilding it within three years, though he did destroy the recruiting class in how he left.

In the end, all these guys are nothing more and nothing less than employees and you probably have to look at them in that light. Each of them were brought in to do a job, and how effectively they did that job counts more than whether you "liked" them.

I don't know if anyone is talking about "love" of BK as much as his exit was really no worse than Dantonio's. I actually noticed that on the BCS show last night on ESPN, they were still giving props to BK for actually coming and coaching UC to get us ready for the International Bowl after Dantonio flipped the bird to the kids here by giving the ultimatum to all his assistants to come to MSU now or not have a job. There was also shenanigans going down over the transfer of Derek Anderson to Michigan State.
What also bothered me about Dantonio was his constant deference and boot licking with regard to Tressel. He even copied that stupid "Winner's Manual" while he was here. Uncertain if there was also a chapter about how to trade your memorabilia for tattoos.
Just happy this year that the team can enjoy their bowl experience without the distraction of the "Butch Jones National Coaching Jobs Fair Tour".

12-09-2013 02:15 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(12-09-2013 11:00 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

Truer words were never spoken(or typed in this case). I think a lot of people don't realize how toxic his exit was because not as many fans were paying close attention to UC football back then.
Of all the UC head coaches I've interacted with, he was by far the worst in dealing with fans. Had the personality of a doorknob and put out a vibe that he really didn't want to be here.

He can really coach defense and he's really in the perfect conference and place for his talents. That said, he IS a complete doorknob of a person. This was never more than a stepping stone for him and he stepped on us pretty hard on the way out and upward. I paused when his opening presser his big tag line was "beat Miami!" That told me what his aspirations were right there, how low he viewed the bar here, and then I heard from good friends who knew him well how while he was the coach that he openly talked about the fact that nothing big could ever be built at Cincinnati, it wasn't a football school, blah blah blah. Now this wasn't when we were mired in CUSA mind you. Two years later BK had fully turned us into a football school.

12-09-2013 02:18 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
As a long time fan and others here can attest the Football Program's rise to National prominance reached it's absolute highest under BK. He was part Barnum (or Bailey) and the national media loved him. I will never forget how he b1tch slapped the Cincinnati media at BE media day and got into PDoc's grill(e) over their treatment of what was then his program.

As far as recruiting he was still doing a hard, hard sell of this program to recruits and I would submit that it was alot easier for Lyle to recruit after he left than BK after Dantonio.

Who could forget his shenanigans of flying a UC helicopter (or had UC logo on the side) around to Cincinnati area HS on Friday night FB games with Kerry Coombs and talking to coaches on the sidelines during games..? He opened a lot of doors and excited the fan base more than any other Coach that I can remember in my lifetime.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 03:21 PM by Crewdogz.)
12-09-2013 03:19 PM
indycat Offline
1st String

Crewdogz, I agree with all you said and more. I don't think Mike Thomas would have ever built the football practice facility without Kelly publicly making a case for the necessity of it for an aspiring program. And I don't think Tuberville would have come to a northern football school without that facility which continues to pay dividends.

12-09-2013 03:44 PM
Advertisement

eroc Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2013 03:19 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  As a long time fan and others here can attest the Football Program's rise to National prominance reached it's absolute highest under BK. He was part Barnum (or Bailey) and the national media loved him. I will never forget how he b1tch slapped the Cincinnati media at BE media day and got into PDoc's grill(e) over their treatment of what was then his program.

As far as recruiting he was still doing a hard, hard sell of this program to recruits and I would submit that it was alot easier for Lyle to recruit after he left than BK after Dantonio.

Who could forget his shenanigans of flying a UC helicopter (or had UC logo on the side) around to Cincinnati area HS on Friday night FB games with Kerry Coombs and talking to coaches on the sidelines during games..? He opened a lot of doors and excited the fan base more than any other Coach that I can remember in my lifetime.

+2. Without sounding corny, you could dare to dream with BK. i don't think the same could be said about Dantonio or Lyle.

12-09-2013 03:52 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
(12-09-2013 03:52 PM)eroc Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 03:19 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  As a long time fan and others here can attest the Football Program's rise to National prominance reached it's absolute highest under BK. He was part Barnum (or Bailey) and the national media loved him. I will never forget how he b1tch slapped the Cincinnati media at BE media day and got into PDoc's grill(e) over their treatment of what was then his program.

+2. Without sounding corny, you could dare to dream with BK. i don't think the same could be said about Dantonio or Lyle.

Does that mean BK makes your top 10? 03-lmfao

"Hey Griswald, where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big? "
"Bend over and I'll show you"
"You've got some nerve talking to me like that."
"I wasn't talking to you."

12-09-2013 04:02 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2013 04:02 PM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  
(12-09-2013 03:52 PM)eroc Wrote:  

Does that mean BK makes your top 10? 03-lmfao

"Hey Griswald, where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big? "
"Bend over and I'll show you"
"You've got some nerve talking to me like that."
"I wasn't talking to you."

Another good one. 04-bow

12-09-2013 04:14 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
This really was the perfect setting for Brian Kelly. What the hell happened at ND is beyond me.

12-09-2013 04:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.