Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EKU rumblings......thinking about FBS, name SBC as a target
Bookmark and Share
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
EKU rumblings......thinking about FBS, name SBC as a target
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...ck_check=1

standby for WKU posters to tell them how they aren't qualified in 5, 4, 3, 2...
12-06-2013 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: EKU rumblings......thinking about FBS, name SBC as a target
No to EKU. They're too close to UK.
12-06-2013 02:49 PM
GoApps70 Offline

Had read this a little while ago and what got me was this reference:

“If this is something we’re going to do and we get the invite, I would see us moving as expeditiously as we can,” said Benson, who was hired from Southern Utah and took over as president in August. “I don’t know if I can put a time on it right now. This is a decision that’s imminent.”
12-06-2013 02:55 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-06-2013 02:55 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Had read this a little while ago and what got me was this reference:

“If this is something we’re going to do and we get the invite, I would see us moving as expeditiously as we can,” said Benson, who was hired from Southern Utah and took over as president in August. “I don’t know if I can put a time on it right now. This is a decision that’s imminent.”

Agreed, about that quote, pretty interesting for him to say something like that.

Personally in regards to EKU, I think they have some work to do on the field and at the gates, but that didn't stop a number of other programs from moving up (Ga State, UNCC, UTSA) although those schools were in large population centers. If anything they may force JMU into making a move a lot sooner than they may like to. The way I see it the SBC has a slot to fill in the east and someone is gonna sell/whore themselves for it, let the games begin.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 03:02 PM by ManOnABuffalo.)
12-06-2013 03:01 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
It will be interesting to see how other SBC members view this. Commissioner Benson has repeatedly said the 12th member needs to come from the eastern part of the conference. I would say EKU probably is not the first choice but the spring could get interesting. JMU is the 1st choice I think but the window of opportunity for them to join will not last forever.
12-06-2013 03:03 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-06-2013 03:03 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  It will be interesting to see how other SBC members view this. Commissioner Benson has repeatedly said the 12th member needs to come from the eastern part of the conference. I would say EKU probably is not the first choice but the spring could get interesting. JMU is the 1st choice I think but the window of opportunity for them to join will not last forever.

Well with current members you could always grab Missouri State and bump one western team back east.
12-06-2013 03:04 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

We had discussed EKU earlier. WKU posters pointed out
that EKU is only a few miles from U. of Kentucky campus. Maybe something like 20 miles.
They are current members of the OVC (Ohio Valley Conference)
Here is who they have played in football and results the last couple of years. As I recall,
their normal football attendance has not been good the last few years, which might be a problem.

2012 Football Results
Sep 1 - L at Purdue, 6-48
Sep 8 - W vs. Morehead State, 24-17
Sep 15 - W at Coastal Carolina, 35-17
Sep 22 - W vs. Jacksonville St, 51-21
Sep 29 - W at Tenn-Martin, 28-16
Oct 6 - L at Tennessee St, 20-23
Oct 13 - W vs. Austin Peay, 45-14
Oct 20 - W at Tenn Tech, 42-28
Oct 27 - L vs. Eastern Ill, 7-24
Nov 3 - W at SE Missouri St, 31-7
Nov 10 - W vs. Murray State, 55-24

2013 Results/Schedule (All Times Eastern)
Aug 29 - W vs. Robert Morris, 38-6
Sep 7 - L at Louisville, 7-44
Sep 14 - L vs. Coastal Carolina, 32-51
Sep 21 - W at Morehead State, 56-24
Sep 28 - L at Eastern Ill, 7-42
Oct 5 - W vs. Austin Peay, 38-3
Oct 12 - Open
Oct 19 - W vs. Tenn Tech, 24-10
Oct 26 - W at SE Missouri St, 31-7
Nov 2 - W vs. Tennessee St, 44-0
Nov 9 - L at Jacksonville St, 10-68
Nov 16 - L vs. Tenn-Martin, 7-16
Nov 23 - L at Murray State, 27-34 OT
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 03:12 PM by GoApps70.)
12-06-2013 03:11 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I have a feeling Benson (SBC commissioner not EKU pres) will do everything he can to to a 12th team announced by June 1 of 2014. Let the campaigning begin for the potential candidates.
12-06-2013 03:21 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
I like Eastern Kentucky for the SBC especially since JMU is dragging it's feet. They are at least as good in football as Georgia State was and currently have a RPI of 136 in Basketball so they would fit right in.

I also don't believe being so close to UK hurts them because even if they were 100 miles away UK would still own the market.

Right now I would put them as 3rd choice overall:
1. JMU
2. MoST
3. EKU
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 03:42 PM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
12-06-2013 03:39 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
i think eku would be a wonderful add for the sunbelt.

hope you get 'em.
12-06-2013 03:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Won't let me read the article.01-lauramac2

Can anyone post the text?
12-06-2013 03:52 PM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(12-06-2013 03:11 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  We had discussed EKU earlier. WKU posters pointed out
that EKU is only a few miles from U. of Kentucky campus. Maybe something like 20 miles.

Not knocking you, but what does their distance from Kentucky have to do with anything?

We are only 35 miles from UT.
12-06-2013 03:54 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-06-2013 03:52 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Won't let me read the article.01-lauramac2

Can anyone post the text?

Eastern Kentucky University could be an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision member as soon as 2016.

EKU President Michael Benson said the earliest the school could apply for reclassification from FCS status to the highest level of college football would be in the spring. The Colonels, who are considering making the move, would then be in a two-year transition period before becoming a full-fledged bowl-eligible program in 2016.

Benson said no final decision has been made yet regarding such an application. EKU would have to receive an invitation from an FBS conference in order to make the move. Benson and athletic director Mark Sandy have said that the Mid-American and Sun Belt conferences would be the best fits for the Colonels, who are charter members of the Ohio Valley Conference.

EKU could become the fourth FBS program in the state, joining the University of Louisville, the University of Kentucky and Western Kentucky University. WKU chose to jump to the FBS in November 2006, and the Hilltoppers became bowl-eligible members of the Sun Belt in 2009.

Benson said that conference realignment is one reason EKU is exploring the FBS. He also acknowledged that the Colonels have paid attention to what WKU has done recently. The Hilltoppers just completed an 8-4 regular season and are bowl-eligible for the third straight season. They will be leaving the Sun Belt for Conference USA next summer.

EKU and WKU used to meet regularly in the “Battleof theBluegrass,” but a rivalry that dated to 1914 ended with the Hilltoppers’ move to the FBS. The football teams last met in 2008. If EKU joins the FBS, it would provide an opportunity to resume the series.

“Our biggest crowds in the history of our football program have been when we’ve played Western Kentucky,” Benson said. “I’d love nothing more than to see us do a home-and-home. That’s healthy for the commonwealth and healthy for our institutions.”
In the FBS, the scholarship limit would increase from 63 to 85. Previously, Sandy said Roy Kidd Stadium probably would need some renovations but would retain its capacity of 20,000. The school would have to almost double its annual football budget of $3 million.

Right now, Benson said EKU is considering only the Sun Belt and the MAC.

In 2014 the football-playing Sun Belt schools will be Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Idaho, New Mexico State, South Alabama, Texas State, Troy, Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana-Monroe. The Sun Belt has two bowl tie-ins: the GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl in Louisiana.

“The Sun Belt is looking for an Eastern team,” Benson said. “I’ve also heard they’re looking at other schools. ... We’re not the only one out there.”

The MAC’s football schools are Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Massachusetts, Miami of Ohio, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo and Western Michigan. However, there are questions about what will happen to UMass, which is not a full-time MAC member — the Minutemen still play basketball in the Atlantic 10.

In 2014 the MAC will have four bowl tie-ins: the GoDaddy Bowl, the Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Ala., the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise and the Boca Raton Bowl in Florida
12-06-2013 03:55 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-06-2013 03:47 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  i think eku would be a wonderful add for the sunbelt.

hope you get 'em.

I can re-post some of the hate you spewed the last time EKU was brought up, I guess EKU will be happy to know that you warmed up to them 03-wink
12-06-2013 03:57 PM
redfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: all
OK I guess-- Suggestion- use your own scoreboard clock if you visit
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 04:28 PM by redfan.)
12-06-2013 04:27 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Thanks buffalo man.
12-06-2013 04:34 PM
Advertisement

Franko Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
In my opinion the main negative issues with EKU are they are basically a satellite of UK, their athletic facilities need several millions pumped into upgrades and I don't think they have the fanbase to support the football program at a FBS level.
They have a pretty good basketball team currently and have a solid history in football too. I wouldn't put them at the top of desirable additions but have potential to be a fairly good addition.
12-06-2013 05:32 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(12-06-2013 03:57 PM)ManOnABuffalo Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 03:47 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  i think eku would be a wonderful add for the sunbelt.

hope you get 'em.

I can re-post some of the hate you spewed the last time EKU was brought up, I guess EKU will be happy to know that you warmed up to them 03-wink

the 'hate you spewed'.....heyzeus in a flying saucer. do you teach womens studies?

shouldn't we reserve 'hate you spewed' for the westboro baptist clan? or for the ku klux klan?

you minimize 'hate you spewed' when you start applying it to something as moronic as a sports message board.

i have no hate to spew in re eku to the sunbelt. i think it's dandy and would love to see it happen. regardless of what i may have said previously.

smh at the loss of cojones due to pc.
12-06-2013 05:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(12-06-2013 05:47 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  

hope you get 'em.

the 'hate you spewed'.....heyzeus in a flying saucer. do you teach womens studies?

shouldn't we reserve 'hate you spewed' for the westboro baptist clan? or for the ku klux klan?

you minimize 'hate you spewed' when you start applying it to something as moronic as a sports message board.

i have no hate to spew in re eku to the sunbelt. i think it's dandy and would love to see it happen. regardless of what i may have said previously.

I think he wants us to take them because he thinks it will weaken the Sun Belt. Could be wrong, just sounds that way to me.
12-06-2013 05:52 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(12-06-2013 05:52 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 05:47 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  

hope you get 'em.

I think he wants us to take them because he thinks it will weaken the Sun Belt. Could be wrong, just sounds that way to me.

I don't have a desire to be in a conference with any of the OVC teams (they all did their best to screw us over back in the day). I don't wish any ill on EKU and if they want to move up then more power to them. I just don't want them in my conference. Since WKU is leaving I don't have a problem with EKU stepping in. To be honest, I wouldn't mind playing them in football again after they transition. Maybe not every year, but every now and then would be fine.
12-06-2013 05:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.