Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chronicle of Higher Ed article on opposition to Maryland's move to B1G
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Chronicle of Higher Ed article on opposition to Maryland's move to B1G
Good article that details alumni opposition and how the chancellor overcame it to make the move. E.g.:

"Some of the strongest criticism the chancellor heard came from Joseph D. Tydings, a former U.S. Senator from Maryland. He sent Mr. Kirwan a note blasting Pennsylvania State University, Ohio State, and other institutions for athletics-related improprieties, and expressed concerns about the lack of transparency in Maryland's Big Ten discussions. Mr. Kirwan emailed him an article about an academic scandal at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"You seem to think we are sliding down the integrity scale by leaving the ACC for the Big Ten," the chancellor wrote. "This is about what's been going on at UNC."

... and Kirwan criticized Maryland icon Tom McMillen for his opposition to the move:

"Later, he wrote to Mr. Shea, the board chair: "Tom is outrageous. He is using his self righteous protestations for shameless self promotion. ... Not sure there is anything we can do about it but I have lost whatever modicum of respect I had for him. I consider his blather an affront to the Board and to me personally."

http://chronicle.com/article/Maryland-Em..._medium=en
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 06:41 AM by quo vadis.)
12-06-2013 06:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
RE: Chronicle of Higher Ed article on opposition to Maryland's move to B1G
This is interesting...

"James L. Shea, the chairman of the university system's board, wrote in this message that he was bothered by the "traditional rivalries" of the ACC, saying that they had "provoked toxic reactions from abusive language at the games to riots and car burnings after victories." He expressed hope that the Big Ten move would allow for a reset among Maryland's fan base. "

How frequent were these riots and car burnings?

At the bottom of the email thread:

"The faculty senate strongly endorsed the decision -- they get it"

[Image: u-of-maryland-emails-p10-normal.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 08:04 AM by SeaBlue.)
12-06-2013 08:02 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
What an insult to people's intelligence.
12-06-2013 08:16 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-06-2013 08:16 AM)goofus Wrote:  What an insult to people's intelligence.

Lots of interesting tidbits in those emails.
12-06-2013 11:54 AM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
(12-06-2013 11:54 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 08:16 AM)goofus Wrote:  What an insult to people's intelligence.

Lots of interesting tidbits in those emails.

Like, "why not put our affiliation up for sale on EBay?"

Love it.
12-06-2013 12:14 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
The fact that Loh kept his job after this shows how easy the decision was for UMD to make. That bridge with those founding ACC schools is burnt, folks.
12-06-2013 02:09 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
"Some of the strongest criticism the chancellor heard came from Joseph D. Tydings, a former U.S. Senator from Maryland. He sent Mr. Kirwan a note blasting Pennsylvania State University, Ohio State, and other institutions for athletics-related improprieties, and expressed concerns about the lack of transparency in Maryland's Big Ten discussions. Mr. Kirwan emailed him an article about an academic scandal at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"You seem to think we are sliding down the integrity scale by leaving the ACC for the Big Ten," the chancellor wrote. "This is about what's been going on at UNC."

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

now thats some good ole fashion message board type troll sh.it going on there
12-06-2013 02:40 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(12-06-2013 02:09 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  The fact that Loh kept his job after this shows how easy the decision was for UMD to make. That bridge with those founding ACC schools is burnt, folks.
Loh was brought in to do Chancellor Kirwan's dirty work.
12-06-2013 03:12 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(12-06-2013 03:12 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 02:09 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  The fact that Loh kept his job after this shows how easy the decision was for UMD to make. That bridge with those founding ACC schools is burnt, folks.

Kirwan's direct role goes a long way to explaining some of the lies told by folks at MD to their opposite numbers in the ACC. He used them as cut-outs and game let them feel there was some plausibility to what they said.

Maryland has been f****d up for a number of years. Even their best revenue scenario will put them $50 million behind the top 4 in the Big 10, whereas they were only about $30 million behind the top 3 in the ACC. That's not progress.

Now, I remember MD fans throwing batteries and battery laced oranges at opposing fans in the past, but that was as far back as the 1990's and I don't see how changing conferences will help that since no one in the ACC did that.

The behavior seems to be a spillover from the rough and tumble of Philadelphia, parts of Jersey, SW PA and West Va. at sporting events. He needs to change who he admits to change that.

I've been to Philadelphia Eagles football game and visited Morgantown - I would not go again with the wife, but I would go with again with a couple other guys and some nunchucks and enough money to throw my bail. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 05:52 PM by JRsec.)
12-06-2013 03:50 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy

That's sort of my drift...a fall guy who comes out of it with his shirt still tucked in. I mean, if the matter was more divisive among the faculty and administration, and the board, Loh was toast, and Kirwan would just say "oh well."

Loh's got the right people behind him on this move. Sucks to be someone who's been dropping money there for years, but all they have to do is stop sending checks.
12-06-2013 04:14 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

(12-06-2013 03:50 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
The behavior seems to be a spillover from the rough and tumble of Philadelphia, parts of Jersey, SW PA and West Va. at sporting events. He needs to change who he admits to change that.
Imo, the source of the problem was UMD's former basketball coach, Gary Williams. He had a large chip on his shoulder, creating an us (Maryland) against them (ACC) atmosphere, largely due to his inability to recruit local talent. Of course it didn't help that nearly all of the local talent chose both ACC and Big East schools over Maryland.
12-06-2013 04:43 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(12-06-2013 04:43 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
Imo, the source of the problem was UMD's former basketball coach, Gary Williams. He had a large chip on his shoulder, creating an us (Maryland) against them (ACC) atmosphere, largely due to his inability to recruit local talent. Of course it didn't help that nearly all of the local talent chose both ACC and Big East schools over Maryland.

It also didn't help when NC State hired Debbie Yow and the MD administration could not blame the world on her. The picture of GW drunk at the college party eating chicken wings with two coeds is what I'm told sent DY off regarding GW.
12-06-2013 04:51 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

(12-06-2013 04:14 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

That's sort of my drift...a fall guy who comes out of it with his shirt still tucked in. I mean, if the matter was more divisive among the faculty and administration, and the board, Loh was toast, and Kirwan would just say "oh well."

Loh's got the right people behind him on this move. Sucks to be someone who's been dropping money there for years, but all they have to do is stop sending checks.
Imo, this move was about academics (CIC); athletics be damned. The administrators at the University of Maryland System are courtiers of Governor Martin O'Malley and the Maryland Democratic Party. Collectively, they are progressive and would much rather associate the flagship campus with similar schools at mostly traditional, pro-labor, Blue states (B1G) than anti-union, Red states (ACC). That's why the Maryland Democrats (other than Tom McMillan) were quiet about the move, choosing to ignore the fact that state public disclosure laws were violated.
12-06-2013 05:04 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

(12-06-2013 04:51 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

It also didn't help when NC State hired Debbie Yow and the MD administration could not blame the world on her. The picture of GW drunk at the college party eating chicken wings with two coeds is what I'm told sent DY off regarding GW.
I heard he was more interested in chasing Maryland coeds than prospective recruits.
12-06-2013 05:07 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(12-06-2013 05:07 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 04:51 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 03:12 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  Loh was brought in to do Chancellor Kirwan's dirty work.

I heard he was more interested in chasing Maryland coeds than prospective recruits.

Yep, that's a problem, if you are going to do that, they need to be graduate students and you better be winning big 03-wink
12-06-2013 05:27 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I said in a thread on the ACC board that these emails only validate that the move was purely for academic reasons.

Hoping fan/student behavior will improve by moving to the B1G is laughable, the statement is simply an attempt at posturing. Just last week we saw three players ejected for throwing punches in a brawl in the Ohio State - Michigan game. While the fans and students cheered on.
12-06-2013 05:34 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(12-06-2013 05:34 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I said in a thread on the ACC board that these emails only validate that the move was purely for academic reasons.

Hoping fan/student behavior will improve by moving to the B1G is laughable, the statement is simply an attempt at posturing. Just last week we saw three players ejected for throwing punches in a brawl in the Ohio State - Michigan game. While the fans and students cheered on.

Actually they are lying about that as well. The CIC does almost nothing for Maryland. Research partnership is not done at that level - it's done between peers at universities. VT and Michigan are partners on a number of items - CIC has nothing to do with it. Academics are a red herring.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 05:39 PM by lumberpack4.)
12-06-2013 05:38 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

(12-06-2013 05:38 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 05:34 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I said in a thread on the ACC board that these emails only validate that the move was purely for academic reasons.

Actually they are lying about that as well. The CIC does almost nothing for Maryland. Research partnership is not done at that level - it's done between peers at universities. VT and Michigan are partners on a number of items - CIC has nothing to do with it. Academics are a red herring.
Well it can't be about money because Maryland completed its Great Expectations fundraising campaign, which began in 2006 and ended in late 2012, raising $1 billion. Maryland could've easily amended the campaign, allowing donors to contribute to the athletic department.

http://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/univ...ising-goal
Quote:The Campaign for Maryland final tally was more than $1,008,000,000. It includes almost $253 million in student scholarship and financial aid; close to $132 million to help recruit, retain and advance pre-eminent faculty; nearly $173 million in support of research and innovation; $305 million for high-tech buildings and classroom upgrades, arts venues, and athletic and other facility and infrastructure needs; nearly $124 million in program support; and more than $21 million in unrestricted funds. Numbers are rounded to the nearest million.

The campaign publically launched in late 2006 and was quickly followed by one of the worst recessions in the nation's history. At the time it began, Great Expectations was the largest fundraising drive ever undertaken by a public institution in the Washington, D.C./Baltimore region and the largest campaign of any public university in the state of Maryland.
12-06-2013 06:05 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-06-2013 06:05 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 05:38 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

Well it can't be about money because Maryland completed its Great Expectations fundraising campaign, which began in 2006 and ended in late 2012, raising $1 billion. Maryland could've easily amended the campaign, allowing donors to contribute to the athletic department.

http://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/univ...ising-goal
Quote:The Campaign for Maryland final tally was more than $1,008,000,000. It includes almost $253 million in student scholarship and financial aid; close to $132 million to help recruit, retain and advance pre-eminent faculty; nearly $173 million in support of research and innovation; $305 million for high-tech buildings and classroom upgrades, arts venues, and athletic and other facility and infrastructure needs; nearly $124 million in program support; and more than $21 million in unrestricted funds. Numbers are rounded to the nearest million.

The campaign publically launched in late 2006 and was quickly followed by one of the worst recessions in the nation's history. At the time it began, Great Expectations was the largest fundraising drive ever undertaken by a public institution in the Washington, D.C./Baltimore region and the largest campaign of any public university in the state of Maryland.

A $1 billion fundraising campaign is not really special these days. It is fairly common, and actually, a comparatively small campaign goal compared to similarly situated schools. Last year, Stanford raised that much in single year. Michigan currently has a $4 billion campaign, UVA a $3 billion campaign. Pitt just finished a $2 billion campaign. In 2010, there were 36 schools with $1 billion or greater goals, and that has only gone up.

FY11 fundraising at Maryland, which is the most recent year of comparisons across universities that is available, was 63rd out of all schools in the nation as far as total raised (38th public). That's behind other state schools such as Tennessee and Arizona State, and much smaller private schools such as Boston College and Wake Forest.

BTW, I've never heard of a school prohibiting donations to athletic causes for part of a capital campaign, and the quote you provided certainly doesn't support that idea. If people were giving to Maryland for athletics, they wouldn't have had a muti-million deficit and put 8 sports on the chopping block.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 06:28 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-06-2013 06:18 PM
Hoosier Hysteria Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Indiana
University of Maryland News

President Loh's Message to the University of Maryland Community

August 13, 2013

Dear University of Maryland community:

I am pleased to inform you that the final report of the President’s Commission on UMD and Big Ten/CIC Integration is available at president.umd.edu/commissions/B1G. This report will guide our University’s transition into this athletic conference (on July 1, 2014) and its academic counterpart (Committee on Institutional Cooperation, on July 1, 2013).

Implementation of the Commission’s recommendations will (1) advance the excellence and reputation of UMD, (2) better support our student-athletes to perform at the highest level in their studies and in athletic competition, (3) ensure the long-term financial health of Maryland Athletics, and (4) allocate some of the Big Ten revenues to support UMD’s academic mission and need-based student financial aid. I have accepted these four principles that undergird the Commission’s recommendations.

I highlight the following actions:
• Some of the new revenues expected from the Big Ten will provide our student-athletes with expanded support for academics, training, sports medicine, and nutrition.

• Some of these new revenues will be allocated to support the University’s academic priorities and student financial aid. These allocations are expected to grow to at least $1 million annually. Effective immediately, I have redirected $500,000 annually in other non-state revenues, previously budgeted for Maryland Athletics, to fund expanded mental health counseling services for all students.

• After Maryland Athletics achieves financial stability, half of its excess revenues will be used to repay its debts and the other half will be set aside to build its financial reserves. This is to ensure that Maryland Athletics, which is a self-supporting enterprise, will never again be in a position where it has to cut teams.

• The men’s outdoor track and field team will be restored with the full allotment of scholarship support.

• The Commission left open the possibility of reinstating other teams in the future. Any reinstatement review will be informed by the aforementioned principles of the Commission.

• UMD will produce high-quality academic, research, and athletic programming for the Big Ten Network that reaches some 80 million households in the U.S. and abroad.
There is more that I would like to do, and plan to do, to support athletics, academics, and student financial aid. At this time, however, I am constrained by the Atlantic Coast Conference’s withholding of UMD’s rightful athletic revenues, which are the main funding source for our athletic programs. Maryland Athletics now must borrow from other UMD (non-state) funds for operating expenses during our remaining time of ACC membership. While I cannot comment specifically because litigation with the ACC is underway, I can say that our long-term planning has taken into account these issues. I am resolved to shield our student-athletes from any permanent impact.

Joining the Big Ten is about academics as well as athletics. I am pleased to report that many of our faculty, students, and staff are already participating in CIC programs on education, research, technology commercialization, libraries, student government, student affairs, and campus safety. They have been warmly welcomed by their counterparts in this consortium of top-ranked flagship and AAU research universities. Joining this “super-university” will advance UMD’s academic mission.

I am grateful to the 23 members of the Commission and to the additional faculty, staff and administrators who supported the Commission’s work during its six months of data gathering, deliberations, and public forums that resulted in the excellent report. These members represent key constituencies: University Senate, undergraduate and graduate student government, UMCP Foundation Board of Trustees, Alumni Association, Student-Athlete Advisory Council, Terrapin Club, and M-Club. My special thanks to the co-chairs, Linda Clement (Vice President for Student Affairs) and Barry Gossett (vice-chair, University System of Maryland Board of Regents).

I welcome your comments at president@umd.edu.

Thank you for your continued support of the University of Maryland.

Sincerely,

Wallace D. Loh
President

http://www.president.umd.edu/B1G/Commiss...report.pdf
12-06-2013 06:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.