UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I don't think anyone at UAB has recognized this anniversary
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't think anyone at UAB has recognized this anniversary
but tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of first game played in Bartow Arena.

From Today in Blazer History:

Quote:The new arena cost $11 million to build and was one of the things that Gene Bartow wanted most of all...a true home court. The new arena was an improvement over the aging Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center, where UAB had played all home games previously. Attendance had lagged in previous years and the Blazers had all but lost their home court advantage, playing in front of six to seven thousand people in a 17,000 seat coliseum. Moving on campus also was an economic plus as UAB would not have to pay rent and be able to keep all concessions revenue. It also provided a new home for the athletic department offices. By keeping fans close to the action, the arena can become very intimidating to opponents when it is full of loud and enthusiastic fans. The Arena was originally approved to be a mult-purpose convocation center and meant to serve as a practice facility for the basketball team. However, as construction continued, Bartow decided to play all but the biggest games on campus at the Arena. Eventually, all games were played at the Arena.

The Commodores were coached by former Alabama coach, C.M. Newton . Vanderbilt came into the game riding a high, as they had beaten 13th ranked Louisville earlier in the week. The game started out badly for the Blazers as the Commodores jumped out to a 9-0 start. However, UAB tied the game at 11. The game went back and forth, but the Blazers took the lead for good with seven minutes to go in the game on an Andy Kennedy three pointer. An opening game crowd of 8307 watched the Blazers win the game 76-69. Kennedy led the Blazers with 26 points, despite missing his first five three pointers.

The Arena proved to be to have a great home court advantage as UAB went 12-1 at home that year. UAB would be formidable in the Arena for the first couple of years. They only lost five games at home in their first four years in the Arena.
12-02-2013 11:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
RE: I don't think anyone at UAB has recognized this anniversary
In UAB Athletics (and Scudder's) defense, this was the trivia question last night (What year was the first game in Bartow vs Vandy?)
12-03-2013 12:03 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I saw that, but I don't think they mentioned that the specific date was coming up and that it was 25 years. That trivia question is what triggered my memory that it was a special milestone.
12-03-2013 12:07 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
A smaller, on-campus facility making financial sense and creating a real home field advantage?

Maybe we ought to think about that for football. 05-stirthepot

Somebody was going to. I just wanted to be first.03-lol
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 09:11 AM by Smaug.)
12-03-2013 09:11 AM
Advertisement

BandGrad Offline
Heisman

(12-03-2013 09:11 AM)Smaug Wrote:  A smaller, on-campus facility making financial sense and creating a real home field advantage?

But we should focus on basketball and the medical school. 03-pissed
12-03-2013 09:41 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(12-03-2013 09:11 AM)Smaug Wrote:  A smaller, on-campus facility making financial sense and creating a real home field advantage?

I don't believe the UA BOT will make that mistake again.
12-03-2013 10:15 AM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
Happy 25th Birthday Barlow Arena!!! See you on December 29th!
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 10:28 AM by USAFBlazerFan.)
12-03-2013 10:27 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Will the Wu Tang Clan be performing at Barlow on the 29th as well or whatever that group was?
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 12:02 PM by the_blazerman.)
12-03-2013 12:01 PM
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

December 3, 1988, was also the night I got married, which makes today my 25th wedding anniversary. 03-cloud9

It was a tough call, but I decided to go to my wedding instead of going to the inaugural game at Bartow Arena. Lol.
12-03-2013 01:04 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(12-03-2013 01:04 PM)BlazerGrad88 Wrote:  December 3, 1988, was also the night I got married, which makes today my 25th wedding anniversary. 03-cloud9

It was a tough call, but I decided to go to my wedding instead of going to the inaugural game at Bartow Arena. Lol.

Congratulations!
12-03-2013 01:27 PM
Advertisement

USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
(12-03-2013 01:27 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 01:04 PM)BlazerGrad88 Wrote:  December 3, 1988, was also the night I got married, which makes today my 25th wedding anniversary. 03-cloud9

Congratulations!

What he said. Congrats on 25! Now, go celebrate at the Barlow. Just take her in and remind her of what you chose to miss, and that both things are still standing strong, tall, and proud. Kind of a cool take on your family history and UAB basketball history, IMO.
12-03-2013 01:49 PM
Motley Blazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB Blazers
the dip$hi+$ on the BOT should have allowed it to be called Bartow Arena on opening day
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 11:19 PM by Motley Blazer.)
12-03-2013 11:14 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs

That's what we call "bad planning."

03-lmfao
12-04-2013 12:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

(12-04-2013 12:45 AM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  

That's what we call "bad planning."

03-lmfao

Yeah, I seem to be pretty good at that when it comes to UAB basketball milestone events. I was out of town when 58-56 happened in '93. 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 09:40 AM by BlazerGrad88.)
12-04-2013 09:39 AM
BlazerDAD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Opening day at Bartow introduced us to a couple of players that would make it into the record books Jack Kramer and Andy Kennedy.
12-04-2013 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.