Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

LSU - The 2nd Half Difference
Bookmark and Share
Tiger USA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
LSU - The 2nd Half Difference
We can't press full court against decent teams.

We lose our defensive assignments and teams easily get to the rim.
The uptempo speed encourages our guards to take really awful shots in the half court set.

Guard the paint and don't give up easy shots.
11-29-2013 08:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cleveland2854 Offline
All American

RE: LSU - The 2nd Half Difference
(11-29-2013 08:52 PM)Tiger USA Wrote:  We can't press full court against decent teams.

The uptempo speed encourages our guards to take really awful shots in the half court set.

Yep. We should full court press man to man. But, not a zone full court press
11-29-2013 08:54 PM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
(11-29-2013 08:52 PM)Tiger USA Wrote:  We can't press full court against decent teams.

So you're saying we should doooooooooo....what? Not press? You know they also had like 14,638 turnovers too from that press.
11-29-2013 08:54 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
There is a reason a game is 40 minutes.

What happened early led to what happened late.

Early press helped add to later fatigue- and fatigue leads to turnovers- and the offensive fouls called on LSU were a result of fatigue and attempted short cuts.

40 minute win.

Well done.
11-29-2013 08:56 PM
cleveland2854 Offline
All American

Maybe so. But, against better teams that same fatigue won't happen. Another thing I notice in the 2nd half is we were soo much stronger with the ball with our passing. When we caught the ball we brought it into our bodies really strong
11-29-2013 09:00 PM
Dat.B.Me Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
That worked tonite....If they press OKState it will be a different story.
11-29-2013 09:00 PM
Advertisement

Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
(11-29-2013 09:00 PM)Dat.B.Me Wrote:  That worked tonite....If they press OKState it will be a different story.

I say we double cocky ass with Geron and Joe. Put King on Markel Brown and take our chances. We need to get into their comfort zone. I saw Smart pressing some when he wasn't scoring. He started making bad decisions.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 09:06 PM by Chi-TownTiger.)
11-29-2013 09:05 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
(11-29-2013 09:05 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  
(11-29-2013 09:00 PM)Dat.B.Me Wrote:  That worked tonite....If they press OKState it will be a different story.

I say we double cocky ass with Geron and Joe. Put King on Markel Brown and take our chances. We need to get into their comfort zone. I saw Smart pressing some when he wasn't scoring. He started making bad decisions.

Yep...he forced a lot of stuff today....Butler frustrated him.
11-29-2013 09:15 PM
cavelizzard Offline
2nd String

I thought the press was ok gave up some early baskets though. It seems though when we slowed the game down and worked the ball around we looked good. The pass from Joe to Austin at the end of the game was awesome.

I don't think the press will wear down deep teams but I thought LSU was winded at the end if the game.
11-29-2013 09:19 PM
Poorwill Offline
Special Teams

(11-29-2013 09:15 PM)TigerSeth Wrote:  

Double yep. They also put him on his butt a couple times. He couldn't believe that could happen to him. Made him mad which added to his bad decisions.
11-29-2013 09:27 PM
cleveland2854 Offline
All American

I think our defense is better in the half court. Funny. For years we asked to press more. I think we play better defense in the half court.
11-29-2013 09:37 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
(11-29-2013 09:00 PM)cleveland2854 Wrote:  Maybe so. But, against better teams that same fatigue won't happen. Another thing I notice in the 2nd half is we were soo much stronger with the ball with our passing. When we caught the ball we brought it into our bodies really strong

Maybe not.

But LSU was the better team until now...

A secret- it is harder for any team to beat even better teams. I know this opens the door for banal 0-13 jokes, but when folks opine that playing that way against the Miami Heat will not cut it- do they really think they are adding something?
11-29-2013 10:07 PM
tigerfansincebirth89 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers!

Seems like they did so by throwing a lot of length at him, which makes me think Chris might be the best option early on. And as bad as Iverson has looked at times, giving him spot minutes guarding Smart would be interesting to see. Don't think King is quick enough to guard him.
11-29-2013 10:23 PM
rolexjames Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I thought the timing of the press in the 2nd half affected the game. It created two turnovers and turned the momentum. When Dixon gave up the drive the team came out and played great half court D. We still have too many blow bys.
11-29-2013 10:32 PM
BigTigerMike Online
Hall of Famer

(11-29-2013 09:37 PM)cleveland2854 Wrote:  I think our defense is better in the half court. Funny. For years we asked to press more. I think we play better defense in the half court.

I agree somewhat. Some teams we need to press the hell out of them and others I'd like to see a half court defensive scheme. Just like on offense I'd preferred that they throw it in to Austin/ Shaq/Dom against OK St on nearly every possession and slightly slow it down....slightly
11-29-2013 10:36 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(11-29-2013 08:56 PM)Mimi Wrote:  There is a reason a game is 40 minutes.

What happened early led to what happened late.

Early press helped add to later fatigue- and fatigue leads to turnovers- and the offensive fouls called on LSU were a result of fatigue and attempted short cuts.

40 minute win.

Well done.

Yes.
11-29-2013 10:37 PM
Advertisement

BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

The difference I saw was in the second half with Chris running the half-court offense. Dix & JJ ran it for most of the game, but we really started clicking with Chris at point. With Chris at point JJ & Geron were running baseline curls that put pressure on their defense and we were able to run good set plays. We also ran a few double pick-n-rolls. This is what we were doing last season during our long run.

A key bucket Austin made at the top of the key was a result of this set where Joe faked the drive (drew 3 defenders) & passed to a wide open Nichols. Sweet! I’m no fan of the three guard lineup because I think King or Iverson could do more as true wings.

But if we are going to play 3 guards let Chris bring it up & set the play. It works.

My 2 cents
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 11:22 PM by BealeStreetTiger.)
11-29-2013 11:18 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

We quit gambling as much on the perimeter...

We were getting beat off the dribble so bad early that we would not stand a chance...Hell give up the 3 if you are goin to get beat like that.
11-29-2013 11:21 PM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
(11-29-2013 10:23 PM)tigerfansincebirth89 Wrote:  

Seems like they did so by throwing a lot of length at him, which makes me think Chris might be the best option early on. And as bad as Iverson has looked at times, giving him spot minutes guarding Smart would be interesting to see. Don't think King is quick enough to guard him.

Hmmm ... I think King is actually quicker than Iverson. Iverson is a good ballhandler for his size, but that doesn't mean he's quick enough to stay in front of Smart.

IMO, you go with the guys that are your best perimeter defenders, right now that's Geron and CC. Those two guys need to be inside his jersey when he's off the ball, and do their best to stay in front of him when he has it. You also have to play sound team defense on switches. He's a tough match up for anyone, legit NBA starter right now.

It's a whole lot to ask of your freshmen to guard the best player in college basketball.

Honestly, I'd throw some gimmick stuff at him early, just to make them think about it. Diamond and one, triangle and two; but only if its something you've actually worked on, can't install that on the fly.
11-29-2013 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(11-29-2013 11:31 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  
(11-29-2013 10:23 PM)tigerfansincebirth89 Wrote:  

Hmmm ... I think King is actually quicker than Iverson. Iverson is a good ballhandler for his size, but that doesn't mean he's quick enough to stay in front of Smart.

IMO, you go with the guys that are your best perimeter defenders, right now that's Geron and CC. Those two guys need to be inside his jersey when he's off the ball, and do their best to stay in front of him when he has it. You also have to play sound team defense on switches. He's a tough match up for anyone, legit NBA starter right now.

It's a whole lot to ask of your freshmen to guard the best player in college basketball.

Honestly, I'd throw some gimmick stuff at him early, just to make them think about it. Diamond and one, triangle and two; but only if its something you've actually worked on, can't install that on the fly.

I thought we would play some type of hybrid defenses against them 2 weeks ago. Triangle & 1 or 2 would slow him down. It would keep our bigs out of foul trouble too. Maybe? What I do know is we can’t play straight up man-to-man thinking it will work.

Coach’s call.
11-30-2013 12:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.