Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCF's getting paid
chrisiskingx Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
UCF's getting paid
How much are the rest of you getting paid for the OOC games?

1.5 MILLION wow.

http://ucf.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1580823
11-27-2013 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
RE: UCF's getting paid
(11-27-2013 09:34 PM)chrisiskingx Wrote:  How much are the rest of you getting paid for the OOC games?

1.5 MILLION wow.

I shouldn't be looking out for you but I am......

this isn't something to brag about. Delete this post if you can.
11-27-2013 09:51 PM
chrisiskingx Offline
Special Teams

I'm not bragging, I'm ASKING...sorry we're not ACC quality with our pinkys up while we drink a simple red solo cup filled with water...

Or at least that's how it felt like being in the ACC meetings last year.
11-27-2013 10:16 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
No harm no foul......fair warning.

I did my best.
11-27-2013 10:42 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
There's nothing wrong with taking $1.5M for a trip to Ann Arbor. They're one of the very few schools that can demand "one and dones"; I can promise you that UL would not be able to schedule a return trip from the Wolverines and playing them is a good test in a storied stadium. If you've got an opening, why not take it?

Defending my conference mates: Texas has never played a down in PJs stadium, have they?
11-27-2013 10:48 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
UCF's getting paid
SMU is doing the same in 2018
11-27-2013 10:48 PM
Advertisement

sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(11-27-2013 09:34 PM)chrisiskingx Wrote:  How much are the rest of you getting paid for the OOC games?

1.5 MILLION wow.

I don't know what Temple gets to play in Happy Valley but I'm sure it's well worth it to them. That's why PSU gets an extra game or two in the series.
Imagine what Michigan, PSU, etc., stadiums that fill over 100K fans, take home.
11-27-2013 10:49 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(11-27-2013 10:49 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  

1.5 MILLION wow.

I don't know what Temple gets to play in Happy Valley but I'm sure it's well worth it to them. That's why PSU gets an extra game or two in the series.
Imagine what Michigan, PSU, etc., stadiums that fill over 100K fans, take home.

I understand that students, faculty, etc either get discounted or "free" tickets and even at Michigan all seats aren't sold at full price, so this represents a ~max ticket revenue per game:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/s...12aaf.html

$390 season ticket/7 home games = $56 per game

109,000 seats X $56 (season ticket price per game) = +/-$6 million per game

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/s.../finances/
AAC public university programs total annual 2012 ticket revenue for all sports:
Louisville $23 million
UConn $11 million
Rutgars $10 million
Cincinnati $8 million
Memphis $8 million
East Carolina $7 million
South Florida $6 million
Houston $ 5 million
Central Florida $4 million

Obviously these numbers aren't exact, but directionally they demonstrate the difference between the giants of college athletics VS the rest of us.

The really big guys get as much in ticket revenue in one football game as some of us do all season in all sports combined.
11-27-2013 11:58 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(11-27-2013 10:48 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with taking $1.5M for a trip to Ann Arbor. They're one of the very few schools that can demand "one and dones"; I can promise you that UL would not be able to schedule a return trip from the Wolverines and playing them is a good test in a storied stadium. If you've got an opening, why not take it?

Defending my conference mates: Texas has never played a down in PJs stadium, have they?

Louisville had a home and home with Texas in the early nineties. Predated Papa John's stadium by a few years. Curb stomped them in the game in Louisville. It was awesome.
11-28-2013 12:13 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
UCF's getting paid
(11-28-2013 12:13 AM)BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:  
(11-27-2013 10:48 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with taking $1.5M for a trip to Ann Arbor. They're one of the very few schools that can demand "one and dones"; I can promise you that UL would not be able to schedule a return trip from the Wolverines and playing them is a good test in a storied stadium. If you've got an opening, why not take it?

Louisville had a home and home with Texas in the early nineties. Predated Papa John's stadium by a few years. Curb stomped them in the game in Louisville. It was awesome.

Would not happen now
11-28-2013 12:32 AM
HAL 9100 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-27-2013 10:48 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Defending my conference mates: Texas has never played a down in PJs stadium, have they?

Texas may not be the best example as even UCF hosted them in 2007. Some schools just don't usually go on the road though and Michigan is one of them.

On a slight tangent, I think remember seeing that Florida has never played an OOC game outside of the state of Florida. Not counting bowl games obviously.
11-28-2013 12:59 AM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(11-28-2013 12:59 AM)HAL 9100 Wrote:  
(11-27-2013 10:48 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Defending my conference mates: Texas has never played a down in PJs stadium, have they?

Texas may not be the best example as even UCF hosted them in 2007. Some schools just don't usually go on the road though and Michigan is one of them.

On a slight tangent, I think remember seeing that Florida has never played an OOC game outside of the state of Florida. Not counting bowl games obviously.

I just scanned their recent schedules and could not find an out of conference game outside of the state this century. However, I don't know when that started because I watched them play Memphis in the Liberty Bowl stadium sometime in the 80's.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 01:16 AM by oldtiger.)
11-28-2013 01:13 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

Well, that shows you how much I know...

My point is that if UCF can get paid to play a team that will NOT steamroll them and get a chance to promote thier program (the game will probably be nationally televised as I do not see the Knights dropping-off in terms of competitiveness) then they are making the right decision.

ECU only does home-and-homes with most schools but most of the schools we play are on our level for the most part (with the exception of South Carolina and even they are coming to Greenville a couple of times and have been here in the past). Still, South Carolina is not Michigan, yet. The only schools I would want ECU to consider something like this with is Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Alabama (which we've done and almost walked away with a victory) or maybe Georgia or Florida... and Georgia or Florida would be longshots to get such a deal, at least under a Holland-type administration. We'll see how things go with our new AD...
11-28-2013 01:19 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(11-28-2013 01:13 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  

I just scanned their recent schedules and could not find an out of conference game outside of the state this century. However, I don't know when that started because I watched them play Memphis in the Liberty Bowl stadium sometime in the 80's.

For the young or arrogant p5 conference schools i can refer them to this article, which interestingly enough pertains to florida. anyone that thinks that this sort of thing cant happen again is fooling themselves, particularly with the bottom feeders from any conference.

miss state sells home game
11-28-2013 01:30 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(11-28-2013 01:13 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  

The last played Syracuse in 1991 out of state.
11-28-2013 02:43 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2013 01:19 AM)Ned Low Wrote:  

Well, that shows you how much I know...

My point is that if UCF can get paid to play a team that will NOT steamroll them and get a chance to promote thier program (the game will probably be nationally televised as I do not see the Knights dropping-off in terms of competitiveness) then they are making the right decision.

ECU only does home-and-homes with most schools but most of the schools we play are on our level for the most part (with the exception of South Carolina and even they are coming to Greenville a couple of times and have been here in the past). Still, South Carolina is not Michigan, yet. The only schools I would want ECU to consider something like this with is Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Alabama (which we've done and almost walked away with a victory) or maybe Georgia or Florida... and Georgia or Florida would be longshots to get such a deal, at least under a Holland-type administration. We'll see how things go with our new AD...

There are a few P5 schools that I would support ECU pimping itself out with a one and done deal and taking the money on the night stand. Michigan is one of those schools because it would be an awesome trip and I think ECU could actually beat Michigan. I would also support a one and done with ND, TX, Ohio St, USC, Alabama, LSU, FL, UGA and Oklahoma.
I like our Regional scheduling and South Carolina is the only school on our current schedule with the pull to demand games in Charlotte and only come to ECU a couple times while we go to Columbia more. I would say that ECU should cut this same deal with Clemson and Tennessee if they got a shot.
11-28-2013 07:00 AM
Advertisement

sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
If there is ever an expanded playoff system in FBS I only hope that the committee gives strong consideration to G5 teams that play more road games as a result of the arrangements of one and done.

I know that the NCAA basketball committee weighs road victories much higher then home victories, especially if they are good road wins. Of course this will only happen if the playoffs are expanded enough where G5 teams will be considered.
11-28-2013 07:54 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(11-28-2013 12:32 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  

Would not happen now

So much for facts. When you don't like the facts you simply change the argument. Got it. Louisville would still curb stomp them. We have Notre Dame so we don't need The Whorns
CJ
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 08:01 AM by CardinalJim.)
11-28-2013 07:59 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

1.5 MILLION wow.

Sweet deal! Take their money, smack'em with a loss, and leave a few of their cheerleaders worse for wear. Go Knights!
11-28-2013 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bignow Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Unfortunately this was probably done to make up for the TV revenue shortfall. UCF was told to expect 8-12M per year and we are getting less than 2M per year, now we can almost match that in one road game
11-28-2013 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.