Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The "Orgeron Files"...What Would You Do If You Were USC AD?
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
The "Orgeron Files"...What Would You Do If You Were USC AD?
Have to admit, he's made quite a "splash" at USC as an interim head football coach. They're one game away from playing for Pac-12 Championship if they beat UCLA. What's gotten me is that the buzz from most sports radio outlets I've listened to have said that USC AD Pat Haden has interviewed someone else for the job. Jack Del Rio, I think.

Sorry, I find that incredulous. Orgeron's has gotten more of these players than what was expected early in the season, especially when that looney tune Lane Kiffin was running the show. Players love him, fans love him and he's gotten the job done. Period!

How many of you feel that USC would be making a huge mistake by not making Ed Orgeron the permanent head football coach at USC? And if you were AD, what would you do? Lock Orgeron in for a few more years, or look outside for someone else? Looks to me from my vantage point is if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
11-21-2013 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: The "Orgeron Files"...What Would You Do If You Were USC AD?
Orgeron had a tough go at it while HC at Ole Miss (He had Eli Manning as his QB). Along with the stunt he pulled at Tennessee when Kiffin and his band of misfits left for USC, Orgeron is lucky to have a job right now after Kiffin was fired.
11-21-2013 01:03 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

Hmmm...@gDunn: Seems like USC has a thing for coaches with "baggage", I wasn't aware that he had been affiliated with Tennessee. Didn't he set the wheels of evolution in motion for Duke, a while back?
11-21-2013 01:19 PM
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

Orgeron impresses me as one who learned from his mistakes as a coach during his tenure with Ole Miss (& Duke, if I'm not mistaken) and is trying to show all concerned that he can get the job done and that the players matter to him individually and collectively. I'd not seen a USC team so much in support of its' HC since Pete Carroll was there. They will go thru walls for this man.

To me, this is one of the more fascinating storylines in college football for this season, and although I'm not a Trojans fan, per se', there are moments that take place in the sporting world that I'd like to see have a positive outcome, that's why part of me is rooting for Southern Cal to ruin the Bruins and at least be in the conference title game, something that no one on the outside looking in saw with this team under Kiffin. I'd like to hear that Pat Haden tendered a long term contract to Orgeron.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 01:58 PM by Matrix.)
11-21-2013 01:57 PM
mnjayhawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU, FSU, CMU
I'm also not a Trojan fan, but to see what's happened in LA with this team rallying around Orgeron (Or even the situation in Minnesota a la Jerry Kill) when most would fold is very encouraging. Del Rio may be a sexy pick, but why fix something if it isn't broken? IMO, the fact they beat Stanford (and how they beat them) would have clinched a four year contract from me.
11-21-2013 02:46 PM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(11-21-2013 01:19 PM)Matrix Wrote:  Hmmm...@gDunn: Seems like USC has a thing for coaches with "baggage", I wasn't aware that he had been affiliated with Tennessee. Didn't he set the wheels of evolution in motion for Duke, a while back?

I can't speak for Duke, but he was with Kiffin at Tennessee for that lackluster season there. When Kiffin got the offer for USC, it was Orgeron who began making calls to players that had just been signed to Tennessee telling them that until they attended a class, they didn't have to go to Tennessee they could transfer to USC. He even gathered a few that were about to start their first week of class (remember Kiffin got hired in late December or early January) and told them not to go to class and transfer to USC.

Granted these were players they had recruited, it did not sit well with many Tennessee fans.

Lane Kiffin is a coach that has gotten better jobs with horrible results from his previous job. I think he was always such a gem to some schools because his dad was always on his staff.

I'm not saying Orgeron won't succeed at USC, but he does have issues that have followed him from the SEC to the PAC 12.
11-22-2013 08:08 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(11-22-2013 08:08 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(11-21-2013 01:19 PM)Matrix Wrote:  Hmmm...@gDunn: Seems like USC has a thing for coaches with "baggage", I wasn't aware that he had been affiliated with Tennessee. Didn't he set the wheels of evolution in motion for Duke, a while back?

I can't speak for Duke, but he was with Kiffin at Tennessee for that lackluster season there. When Kiffin got the offer for USC, it was Orgeron who began making calls to players that had just been signed to Tennessee telling them that until they attended a class, they didn't have to go to Tennessee they could transfer to USC. He even gathered a few that were about to start their first week of class (remember Kiffin got hired in late December or early January) and told them not to go to class and transfer to USC.

Granted these were players they had recruited, it did not sit well with many Tennessee fans.

Lane Kiffin is a coach that has gotten better jobs with horrible results from his previous job. I think he was always such a gem to some schools because his dad was always on his staff.

I'm not saying Orgeron won't succeed at USC, but he does have issues that have followed him from the SEC to the PAC 12.

That Tenn story isn't something any other coach wouldn't do. It's no big deeal, except to sec fans who think their conference means something.

Orgeron probably deserves a shot at U$C, but past performance is not a guarantee of future earnings.
11-23-2013 05:11 PM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(11-21-2013 01:03 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Orgeron had a tough go at it while HC at Ole Miss (He had Eli Manning as his QB). Along with the stunt he pulled at Tennessee when Kiffin and his band of misfits left for USC, Orgeron is lucky to have a job right now after Kiffin was fired.

Is my sarcasm meter broken or are either you or I off base a couple of years?
11-25-2013 05:13 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(11-25-2013 05:13 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(11-21-2013 01:03 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Orgeron had a tough go at it while HC at Ole Miss (He had Eli Manning as his QB). Along with the stunt he pulled at Tennessee when Kiffin and his band of misfits left for USC, Orgeron is lucky to have a job right now after Kiffin was fired.

I was being serious. But I googled and found out I was wrong. Eli went in the 2004 draft and EO became coach at Ole Miss in 2004.
11-26-2013 08:34 AM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(11-26-2013 08:34 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(11-25-2013 05:13 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

I was being serious. But I googled and found out I was wrong. Eli went in the 2004 draft and EO became coach at Ole Miss in 2004.

I think that he had Michael Spurlock and Brent Schaefer while he was at OM.

I can't think of Orgeron without "Tell 'em 'bout it Joe Joe" going through my mind.

11-26-2013 12:28 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Here ya go oldtiger

11-26-2013 12:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.