Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"JMU to FBS will cost students too much"
Bookmark and Share
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Professor Howard Lubert wrote a contributing column in The Breeze this morning stating that the costs would be high for students if JMU changes athletic conferences. I hate him and I don't even know him.

http://www.breezejmu.org/opinion/article...f6878.html
11-18-2013 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmad1son Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
RE: "JMU to FBS will cost students too much"
(11-18-2013 02:37 PM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Professor Howard Lubert wrote a contributing column in The Breeze this morning stating that the costs would be high for students if JMU changes athletic conferences. I hate him and I don't even know him.

Whether we agree or not, he has every right to his opinion. The longer that this administration drags out any announcement, frustration on both sides will continue. I, for one, continue to be impatient with how this administration makes decisions at a snail's pace.
11-18-2013 02:50 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(11-18-2013 02:37 PM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Professor Howard Lubert wrote a contributing column in The Breeze this morning stating that the costs would be high for students if JMU changes athletic conferences. I hate him and I don't even know him.

Yeah me too, who is this Lubert bozo!!

I can only directly speak to point #1 - Any alumni, tailgaters, myself included have openly stated that is we stay in the current conference (CAA-FCS) we will NOT increase our giving to the DUKE Club and in fact are highly likely to reduce giving to the DUKE Club. If JMU does not want to move forward and would prefer to tread water they can do it with a lot LESS money. I will not continue to fund mediocrity in the CAA. Moving up would generate excitement and that increases donations. Staying in the CAA turns people off and will not make donations rise.
11-18-2013 02:53 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
Haha I love how he says JMU shouldn't rush to make a decision at the end of the article.... Uninformed alumni and some faculty members seem to be under this impression that the JMU athletic department is pushing full force to be FBS and that they are willing to compromise the academic integrity of the school to do so. Nothing could be further from the truth.
11-18-2013 02:54 PM
Pitz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes.
FINANCES BE DAMNED! LOUISIANA-MONROE HERE WE COME!
11-18-2013 02:58 PM
jmad1son Offline
Special Teams

(11-18-2013 02:53 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  If JMU does not want to move forward and would prefer to tread water they can do it with a lot LESS money. I will not continue to fund mediocrity in the CAA. Moving up would generate excitement and that increases donations. Staying in the CAA turns people off and will not make donations rise.

Exactly! 03-thumbsup
11-18-2013 02:59 PM
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Quote:Pay attention to what he is saying. Over the past five years, annual growth in giving to JMU athletics has averaged 10 percent. So, asking alumni to give even more seems potentially attainable (although it will involve a 20 percent increase in the annual growth rate). However, the Carr report assumes that if JMU stays in FCS, alumni giving will suddenly slow to an annual growth rate of just 2 percent from now until 2019. Nowhere does the report explain why it expects donations to JMU athletics to dry up if the university does not move to FBS

clearly this guy has not gone to BFS over the last 3 seasons.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 03:06 PM by Duke Dawg.)
11-18-2013 02:59 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Quote:Third, the Carr report assumes that the move to FBS will incur virtually no additional uncategorized, miscellaneous costs (see “Other” in listed expenses in Table 3 on page 50, and pages 48-49). The report fails to explain why it anticipates visibly increased costs in every category except “Other.” Even the Carr report projects that a move to FBS is expected to inflate salary costs by more than $1 million annually, student aid costs by nearly $1.5 million annually, and sports operations expenses by more than $2 million annually. This “Other” category is the largest single category among all listed expenses (at over $14 million) yet the Carr report projects it to increase with a move to the FBS by only 1.3 percent.

he lost any credibility with this one.

anyone who knows an ounce of what is going on is aware that the "Other" category is the debt service on the stadium.

no explanation is necessary on this as to why the increase is so small.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 03:02 PM by Duke Dawg.)
11-18-2013 03:01 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Here at Georgia Southern the way we did it was put a vote to the students to increase athletic fee to add seats to our stadium and pump more money into athletics. When the students voted by something around 65 to 35 percent in favor of increased athletic fees for students it was like the go-ahead for our president to move ahead.

Pres. Keel made it very clear after that vote that we wanted to move to the FBS. We hired a new athletic director last November and he hit the ground running raising money and making it very clear we would accept an invite if it came from the SunBelt or any other FBS conference.

Fast forward to March of this year and the invite came. When Appalachian joined in agreeing to move it was a slam dunk. Appalachian and Georgia Southern are very similiar insititutions and I think both schools are very glad we will stay together in a new conference. We take the best rivalry in the SoCon with us to the SunBelt.

But the real point I was making is that our president was out front of this move from the start. The thinking was pretty much join the journey or get the hell out of the way. Schools like Ga. Southern, Appalachian and James Madison should be in FBS. It may sound arrogant but we have basically outgrown the FCS.

Of course I would think it great if JMU would join the SunBelt as the 12th team but whether or not that happens JMU should be in the FBS in whatever conference (CUSA, MAC, or whatever).
11-18-2013 03:04 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(11-18-2013 02:59 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
Quote:Pay attention to what he is saying. Over the past five years, annual growth in giving to JMU athletics has averaged 10 percent. So, asking alumni to give even more seems potentially attainable (although it will involve a 20 percent increase in the annual growth rate). However, the Carr report assumes that if JMU stays in FCS, alumni giving will suddenly slow to an annual growth rate of just 2 percent from now until 2019. Nowhere does the report explain why it expects donations to JMU athletics to dry up if the university does not move to FBS

clearly this guy hasn't not gone to BFS over the last 3 seasons.

Yeah, he must believe the announced attendance he reads and that students actually stay for the entire game. This is probably some liberal arts professor who goes to just the homecoming game each year, because he gets free tickets.
11-18-2013 03:05 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(11-18-2013 02:53 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  

Yeah me too, who is this Lubert bozo!!

I can only directly speak to point #1 - Any alumni, tailgaters, myself included have openly stated that is we stay in the current conference (CAA-FCS) we will NOT increase our giving to the DUKE Club and in fact are highly likely to reduce giving to the DUKE Club. If JMU does not want to move forward and would prefer to tread water they can do it with a lot LESS money. I will not continue to fund mediocrity in the CAA. Moving up would generate excitement and that increases donations. Staying in the CAA turns people off and will not make donations rise.

I friend of mine knows Mary Alger, he speaks very highly of Mary Alger, everybody that I speak with that knows her, ditto.

She has told my friend that our President looses sleep over conference realignment. For this I am sorry but I'm glad for indirect confirmation that our President understands athletics matter in the grand scheme of all things JMU. He must understand that after years of monitoring the situation, remaining in the CAA sans VCU, ODU & GMU will create a **** storm visible from space.

I'm sure Mathews having a year remaining on his contract after not making the playoffs 80% of the time is not helping calm his nerves.

Eagerly awaiting a vision in January.
11-18-2013 03:09 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(11-18-2013 03:04 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Here at Georgia Southern the way we did it was put a vote to the students to increase athletic fee to add seats to our stadium and pump more money into athletics. When the students voted by something around 65 to 35 percent in favor of increased athletic fees for students it was like the go-ahead for our president to move ahead.

Pres. Keel made it very clear after that vote that we wanted to move to the FBS. We hired a new athletic director last November and he hit the ground running raising money and making it very clear we would accept an invite if it came from the SunBelt or any other FBS conference.

Fast forward to March of this year and the invite came. When Appalachian joined in agreeing to move it was a slam dunk. Appalachian and Georgia Southern are very similiar insititutions and I think both schools are very glad we will stay together in a new conference. We take the best rivalry in the SoCon with us to the SunBelt.

But the real point I was making is that our president was out front of this move from the start. The thinking was pretty much join the journey or get the hell out of the way. Schools like Ga. Southern, Appalachian and James Madison should be in FBS. It may sound arrogant but we have basically outgrown the FCS.

Of course I would think it great if JMU would join the SunBelt as the 12th team but whether or not that happens JMU should be in the FBS in whatever conference (CUSA, MAC, or whatever).

What were the student fees at GSU before the vote?
What are the JMU student fees now (too lazy to look up)?
11-18-2013 03:17 PM
Pitz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes.
(11-18-2013 03:04 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Schools like Ga. Southern, Appalachian and James Madison should be in FBS. It may sound arrogant but we have basically outgrown the FCS.

Nothing says FBS-ready like missing the FCS playoffs four out of the last five years!
11-18-2013 03:25 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Everyone has a right to an opinion. I hope the Breeze does a counter point column with someone other than a biased faculty member.

The opportunity cost of staying where we are is huge.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013 03:31 PM by JMU2004.)
11-18-2013 03:30 PM
jmu@uva Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James&Thomas
(11-18-2013 02:58 PM)Pitz Wrote:  FINANCES BE DAMNED! LOUISIANA-MONROE HERE WE COME!

(11-18-2013 03:25 PM)Pitz Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 03:04 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Schools like Ga. Southern, Appalachian and James Madison should be in FBS. It may sound arrogant but we have basically outgrown the FCS.

Nothing says FBS-ready like missing the FCS playoffs four out of the last five years!

In all seriousness, Pitz, what is your position on JMU's future? Do you support a move to any FBS conference, only certain FBS conferences, or do you support JMU staying FCS? If you just like to come on and make fun of other posters' for being so crazy about the issue, that's cool too. Just curious.
11-18-2013 03:32 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2013 03:32 PM)jmu@uva Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 02:58 PM)Pitz Wrote:  FINANCES BE DAMNED! LOUISIANA-MONROE HERE WE COME!

In all seriousness, Pitz, what is your position on JMU's future? Do you support a move to any FBS conference, only certain FBS conferences, or do you support JMU staying FCS? If you just like to come on and make fun of other posters' for being so crazy about the issue, that's cool too. Just curious.

Stony brook owned us, we should just drop to d2. Screw it all, we need to join ur in the odac.
11-18-2013 03:33 PM
Advertisement

DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes

While I appreciate the sarcasm, I have seen you make similar posts on other FBS threads.

Louisiana Monroe (Sun Belt), Texas San Antonio (CUSA), Directional Michigan (MAC), etc are all no name FBS schools. But is it really worth it to continue to have the athletic budget/student fees JMU has to compete with something even worse...no name FCS schools.

If you and JMU want to stay FCS, thats fine. But, if JMU does that, lets lower our budget and student fees to what UNH, Stony Brook, and other successful FCS programs currently have and not spend twice as much for similar results.
11-18-2013 03:38 PM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

(11-18-2013 03:33 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 03:32 PM)jmu@uva Wrote:  

Stony brook owned us, we should just drop to d2. Screw it all, we need to join ur in the odac.

Our former conference mates from across the state enjoyed themselves quite a bit on saturday, engaging in schadenfreude along these lines.
11-18-2013 03:42 PM
jmu@uva Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James&Thomas
(11-18-2013 03:38 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  

While I appreciate the sarcasm, I have seen you make similar posts on other FBS threads.

Louisiana Monroe (Sun Belt), Texas San Antonio (CUSA), Directional Michigan (MAC), etc are all no name FBS schools. But is it really worth it to continue to have the athletic budget/student fees JMU has to compete with something even worse...no name FCS schools.

If you and JMU want to stay FCS, thats fine. But, if JMU does that, lets lower our budget and student fees to what UNH, Stony Brook, and other successful FCS programs currently have and not spend twice as much for similar results.

I think this is a really good point. No need to have the budget we have to stay FCS when plenty of FCS schools are competitive with (in some cases better than) us at a reduced cost to their students.
11-18-2013 03:45 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(11-18-2013 03:38 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  

I agree, that is the line in the sand and where we are at right now. If JMU is serious about football and by the money JMU spends on it that tells me they are, the decision is pretty clear.
11-18-2013 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.