Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State BB signees for 2014
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
Kent State BB signees for 2014
We did sign our 3 targets for the year. Good job Sendy and staff. With the transfers, looks like a good class. They are all winners.
11-15-2013 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
RE: Kent State BB signees for 2014
Not to look past this year but I really like the make up of next year's roster as of now.
All 6 guards will be back, Spicer will be a year older, Jimmy Hall will be eligibily...

Some tourney experience could be huge this year.
11-15-2013 05:29 PM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

And while I don't expect much out of Blake Vedder, I'm sure he'll help a lot.

And Marquiez will be a year older.
11-15-2013 06:20 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Our recruit, Rassean Davis from Georgia, last night had 24 points and 22 rebounds. He is reported to be 6'-8" at 235 pounds. He will be bigger when he arrives in the fall. This is a man.
11-17-2013 12:24 PM
1st String

The Cleveland Plain Dealer has a picture of Rosel Hurley on the cover of their sport page today

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/ne...deshow/#/7

Just skip over the part of the video where he muffs that pass
01-06-2014 12:03 PM
1st String

Checking into next year's new players...

Gary Akbar is playing for San Jacinto Community College, averaging 8.4 points a game and 4 rebounds.

He's got a teammate, 'Carrington Ward', who's averaging 16.9 points a game. That's a familar name, he'd fit in the MAC. Is he available?
01-10-2014 02:43 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(01-10-2014 02:43 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  Checking into next year's new players...

Gary Akbar is playing for San Jacinto Community College, averaging 8.4 points a game and 4 rebounds.
Oh boy, barely making a dent at Community College so I wouldn't expect more here. Hope I am wrong, but it sounds like Gary Akbar=Greg Avila. As for Ward, he's sign with North Texas.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/...ts-to-unt/
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 03:13 PM by Polish Hammer.)
01-10-2014 03:11 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

The quality of JUCO recruits has seemed to slip the last couple years. I remember Danny said Akbar had some sort of injury so hopefully that's the reason his productivity is down. Either way, I'd be surprised if he's ahead of Spicer, Ortiz, or Hall next year. Kind of seems like that scholly would've been better spent on a 4 year possible red shirt candidate. If we ever redshirted players, that is.
01-10-2014 07:12 PM
GoFlashes7 Offline
1st String

Would have been nice to get either of these local players a few years ago:
**Larry Nance earns MWC Player of the Week honor
By Michael Beaven Published: December 16, 2013
Wyoming junior forward Larry Nance, a 2011 Revere High School graduate, has been named the Mountain West Conference player of the week.
It is Nance’s first player of the week honor of his collegiate career

**Akron native Darius Carter helps Wichita State to 10-0 record, national ranking
By Michael Beaven Published: December 16, 2013
Akron native Darius Carter is a contributing player on the Wichita State University men’s basketball team that is 10-0 for the first time in program history and nationally ranked.
Wichita State is ranked No. 9 in the USA Today Coaches poll and No. 11 in the Associated Press poll following a 70-61 win over visiting Tennessee on Saturday.
01-18-2014 12:43 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Or CJ McCollum who graduated from Lehigh to the NBA last year. :/
01-18-2014 06:54 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

To my knowledge we tried for Nance and he passed on us. I could be wrong though.

I know we were linked to Carter, when he was coming out of HS then again when he was coming out of JUCO. Since he ended up going to a Mid Major with a better reputation than us, right now, I wouldn't be surprised if he passed on us as well.

Of course, we all know the McCollum story. We had showed interest his Sr year but Lehigh was after him all along and he was loyal to them. Then he had a growth spurt when he got to college and evolved into a 1st round pick.
01-18-2014 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Due to a glut of guards (imagine that?!) we didn't really go after McCollum. We may have looked at him but didn't offer.

Quote:GREENSBORO, N.C. – Forget the power programs that passed on Lehigh junior guard C.J. McCollum. His story isn't about Duke getting burned, in a 30-point rage of revenge, Friday night by a player it didn't want.

It's not about McCollum, who went to GlenOak High in Plain Township, Ohio, being snubbed by the local Big Ten bullies, either.

It's about not being good enough for the MAC.

Akron was interested.

"They obviously only had one scholarship offer. They gave it to [7-foot center] Zeke Marshall," McCollum said.

Fun stat: Marshall averaged 10.4 points per game this season.

Kent State gave him a look.

"But they offered it to [guard] Randal Holt."

Fun stat: Holt averaged 12.7 points per game this season.

Miami (Ohio) recruited him a bit.

"But they didn't offer me."

Really fun stat: The RedHawks finished 9-21 this season.

So, McCollum settled for Lehigh and the Patriot League. Think the MAC schools might regret that one? McCollum twice has been named Patriot League player of the year, his scoring average of 21.9 ranks in the top five nationally and he has been held to single-digit scoring just three times in his past 87 games.

Quote:McCollum scored a career-high 42 points and almost single-handedly punished Kent State for not recruiting him out of GlenOak.
The Golden Flashes got enough breathing room late and held on for a 80-75 win against the Mountain Hawks. The 6-1 start is the best at Kent since the 2002-03 season.
But this was the one game that McCollum has been aiming for since it was scheduled. Of all the mid-major colleges that offered him a scholarship — Akron, Army, Navy, Wright State, Eastern and Western Michigan, Boise State — Kent State wasn’t one of them.
“He shouldn’t be mad we didn’t recruit him, he should be mad Duke didn’t recruit him,” Kent Head Coach Geno Ford said after looking at McCollum’s numbers one more time. “If you score 20 against us, you can complain. When you score 50, it’s a bigger deal.”
For the record it was 42 points in 37 minutes. It was big shot after big shot every time Lehigh needed one to keep pace. It was the most points a player has scored against Kent since Dave Jamerson went for 52 in 1990.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2014 07:11 PM by Polish Hammer.)
01-18-2014 07:11 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I didn't say we offered him... I said we "showed interest"...

Seems kind of silly to still be rehashing this. Recruiting isn't a perfect science, you hit on some you miss on others. We are not the only school that should be embarrassed we missed him. Didn't he have personal training sessions with Dambrot for several years, or something like that?
01-19-2014 01:33 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(01-19-2014 01:33 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  I didn't say we offered him... I said we "showed interest"...

Seems kind of silly to still be rehashing this. Recruiting isn't a perfect science, you hit on some you miss on others.
My bad, your comment appeared to indicate we went after him late but he rewarded Lehigh for going in from the beginning. We were not after him at all. early or late, and used our scholarships elsewhere.
01-19-2014 05:10 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

(01-19-2014 05:10 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(01-19-2014 01:33 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  I didn't say we offered him... I said we "showed interest"...

Seems kind of silly to still be rehashing this. Recruiting isn't a perfect science, you hit on some you miss on others.
My bad, your comment appeared to indicate we went after him late but he rewarded Lehigh for going in from the beginning. We were not after him at all. early or late, and used our scholarships elsewhere.

No worries. I thought I heard that we did "sniff around" but were too late to the party and that he was very loyal to Lehigh so we didn't pursue it further. Also, most of everything I heard came out after he evolved into a 20+ ppg guy so revisionist history is a very real possibility. I don't have inside knowledge though so I could be completely off the mark.
01-19-2014 06:24 PM
KentKrazy Offline
Special Teams

So we picked Randy Holt over CJ and DJ Cooper?
01-20-2014 10:54 PM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
We wanted Holt and Cooper. When Holt committed Cooper went elsewhere.
01-21-2014 12:44 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I thought we were after Cooper but realized it was obviously one or the other and we had a better shot at Holt so we backed off Cooper. Was the thinking Holt would also go better with Scooter, who never really panned out anyway?
01-21-2014 04:47 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
We never backed off of DJ. We likely would have taken him too. Once Randal committed DJ wanted no part of "competing" for the job or at the least what appearing to be a sharing time situation. Not saying he was scared, but once we had a verbal for his position he decided OU was the best situation for him.
01-21-2014 09:18 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
I've actually heard a different story regarding Cooper. A story that pretty much alleges his psycho mother took control of the recruiting process.
01-22-2014 09:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.