Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Slive: SEC Title Game here to stay
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
Slive: SEC Title Game here to stay
The conference pulls in more than $10 million from the title game and each school gets a 1/12th share of that regardless of participation. There has not been a formal discussion about killing that cash cow since the league split into divisions and instituted the game in 1992.

That doesn?t mean there aren?t informal mutterings when the coaches get together for a series of meetings at this event.

?Each year there is always discussion,? Alabama?s Mike Shula said. ?It?s brought up in our room just to see what other conferences are doing.?

Of the six BCS conferences, three ? the Big East, Big Ten and Pac-10 ? don?t have a title game. There?s no doubt that puts the SEC, Big 12 and now the ACC at a disadvantage for winning a national championship, Florida coach Urban Meyer said.

?I think the NCAA should mandate the Big Ten and Pac-10 have to play a championship game,? Meyer said. ?I think it should be an equal playing field, absolutely.?

SEC schools have won four national titles in the 14 years of the title game era, but only two in the last 10 years.

?When it comes to the chances of winning the national championship, I think the SEC championship game would keep someone from playing in it before it would get them into it,? Georgia?s Mark Richt said.

The Bulldogs have played in three championship games and won two overall league titles in the last four years under Richt. Those two league titles rival the two national championships Richt won as an assistant coach at Florida State, he said.

?Being on that field celebrating after the (SEC) championship game, that?s as good a feeling as you?re going to get,? he said. ?I wouldn?t put the SEC ahead of the national championship of course, but it?s a real, real close second, that?s for sure.?

The importance and prestige of an SEC title make the risk of playing the title game worthwhile, Richt said.

?If you win the SEC Championship, you did something fantastic and everybody understands that,? he said. ?If the only thing that meant anything to our fans and teams was to win the national championship, then I think we?re barking up the wrong tree having this championship game.?

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=135&p=2&c=535880
05-31-2006 10:28 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

Quote:Of the six BCS conferences, three ? the Big East, Big Ten and Pac-10 ? don?t have a title game. There?s no doubt that puts the SEC, Big 12 and now the ACC at a disadvantage for winning a national championship, Florida coach Urban Meyer said.

?I think the NCAA should mandate the Big Ten and Pac-10 have to play a championship game,? Meyer said. ?I think it should be an equal playing field, absolutely.?

Noone made these conferences play a conference championship game. If Urban meyer wants an even playing field, then cancel the SEC championship game.
05-31-2006 10:50 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

The Urban Myer thinks title games should be mandatory? How about sharing that BCS money and BCS bids. NCAA can't mandate that because BCS is not recognized by NCAA. NCAA doesn't select the teams like basketball. Title games determine automatic bids to BCS. Now......will Urban Myer tell the BCS to add CUSA and MAC to list of automatic bids since they play a title game. Ofcourse not. Big Ten has a title game.....its called Ohio State vs Michigan.
06-01-2006 12:35 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
screw urban meyer
Urban Meyer is a freaking idiot. Nobody forced the SEC, Big 12, or ACC to have a championship game. They did it because they are greedy for money. Screw Urban Meyer. If he wants an "equal playing field" just give up all the extra money. What a moron.
06-01-2006 03:38 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

SEC teams do beat each other up a good bit, but you got to pay the cost to be the boss.
06-01-2006 04:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

There's a number of coaches and people inside of the SEC and Big 12 that don't like the championship game because they think it costs them a chance at a 2nd BCS team and even the national title. That's why the Big Ten won't have a championship game.
06-01-2006 05:07 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:The conference pulls in more than $10 million from the title game

-- Wait....let me get this straight....the SEC makes more from its championship game then our entire football contract is worth?? 04-jawdrop ...Wow

Jackson
06-01-2006 05:33 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:The conference pulls in more than $10 million from the title game

-- Wait....let me get this straight....the SEC makes more from its championship game then our entire football contract is worth?? 04-jawdrop ...Wow

Jackson

The Big10s FB contract alone (about $50 million) is what some BE fans (including myself) are hoping for for a combined FB and BB deal. Also, the Big10 is in negotiations too so I would expect that number to go up.
06-01-2006 05:56 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

This is as bad as the ACC crying about the number of NCAA bids they recieved.
06-01-2006 07:55 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

I think that Urban is correct in terms of it hurting his chances of winning a national championship. Of course, as everyone has pointed out here, nobody forces the SEC to have a conference title game. If their administrators weren't so greedy then they could dump the game.

I'd imagine some day the Big 10 will take the money as well, but it won't be until they get that 12th member (which could be a very long time).
06-01-2006 08:01 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

LOL, Well Urban has quickly forgotten his nonBCS roots and now is crying about SEC national chances. Nobody put a gun to the SEC's head demanding a championship game and not any conference will make 10 mill from a championship game.
So i say let all the BCS leagues have a championship game pool all the monies from it and share it equally. Do you think Urban and the SEC would go for that? 01-wingedeagle
06-01-2006 08:46 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

This is old news. Bob Stoops was saying this three years ago. Don't be surprised if the folks in the ACC, Big XII, SEC and Pac 10 (the aren't having a championship game, but they are now having 9 conference games) force the Big 10 and Big East to have 9 confernce games. I think this is a real possiblity and I've been predicting this for years, but I get slammed everytime I say it.
06-01-2006 09:14 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Its not the number of conference games that derails teams from the NC is the championship game. If you look at the history of the Big12,SEC and now ACC youll see more teams get knock out from playing it than benefitting from it.
06-01-2006 09:25 AM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Cubanbull Wrote:Its not the number of conference games that derails teams from the NC is the championship game. If you look at the history of the Big12,SEC and now ACC youll see more teams get knock out from playing it than benefitting from it.

You don't think that playing 9 confernce games puts you at a disadvantage (regarding the possibility of going undefeated) as opposed to playing 7 conference games? I certainly do. So do Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer.
06-01-2006 09:36 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT

It does, but that goes along with expanding for more $$$. They can all kiss my ass. Ok, lets expand to cash in, then complain because the schedule is too rough? Maybe they can call the champ games exhibitions that don't count but they still get the $$$$.? f them.
06-01-2006 09:51 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

TIGER-PAUL Wrote:It does, but that goes along with expanding for more $$$. They can all kiss my ass. Ok, lets expand to cash in, then complain because the schedule is too rough? Maybe they can call the champ games exhibitions that don't count but they still get the $$$$.? f them.

Don't be surprised if it happens.
06-01-2006 10:35 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

3601 Wrote:This is old news. Bob Stoops was saying this three years ago. Don't be surprised if the folks in the ACC, Big XII, SEC and Pac 10 (the aren't having a championship game, but they are now having 9 conference games) force the Big 10 and Big East to have 9 confernce games. I think this is a real possiblity and I've been predicting this for years, but I get slammed everytime I say it.
With only 8 members, they will have a hard time selling the BEast position in forcing 9 conference games. This is not only ludicrous, but impossible.
06-01-2006 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

bitcruncher Wrote:
3601 Wrote:This is old news. Bob Stoops was saying this three years ago. Don't be surprised if the folks in the ACC, Big XII, SEC and Pac 10 (the aren't having a championship game, but they are now having 9 conference games) force the Big 10 and Big East to have 9 confernce games. I think this is a real possiblity and I've been predicting this for years, but I get slammed everytime I say it.
With only 8 members, they will have a hard time selling the BEast position in forcing 9 conference games. This is not only ludicrous, but impossible.

Man, you're slow.
06-01-2006 12:05 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.