Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Larry Blakeney in trouble
Bookmark and Share
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Larry Blakeney in trouble
Rumors are flying this is it for him...and now he's on Football Runor.com

For him to make this list there's usually a creditable rumor.

http://footballrumormill.com/2013/11/12/...ay-nov-12/
11-12-2013 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Larry Blakeney in trouble
Mack Brown at Texas? Boy, those guys are tough.
11-12-2013 12:07 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
What's amazing is five jobs are already open. Two for scandal based reasons.
11-12-2013 12:11 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(11-12-2013 12:07 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Mack Brown at Texas? Boy, those guys are tough.

They've been talking about it on ESPN. Which by the way, I think ESPN is responsible for more firings than any other organization I've ever seen. The second ESPN starts to cover a "potential" job firing it's like that coach is screwed.

Yeah Mack Brown 7-2, 6-0 in the Big 12... and people are talking about getting rid of him, give me a break.
11-12-2013 12:21 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(11-12-2013 11:49 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Rumors are flying this is it for him...and now he's on Football Runor.com

Do you have something from your sources close to the program? This list is shakey at best.
11-12-2013 12:30 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
Coaches are hired to be fired. Not going to feel sorry for anyone making six or seven figures.

As for the above poster's comment, I'd say ESPN plays a part, as does the internet and all other forms of media -- which have basically turned sports into a freak show -- but it certainly doesn't help we've been raised to think we're always right and "deserve" to be happy and have things go our way.

That "consumer is always right" culture has led to usually unrealistic expectations and woe be anyone who doesn't meet them.
11-12-2013 12:33 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(11-12-2013 12:21 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 12:07 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Mack Brown at Texas? Boy, those guys are tough.

They've been talking about it on ESPN. Which by the way, I think ESPN is responsible for more firings than any other organization I've ever seen. The second ESPN starts to cover a "potential" job firing it's like that coach is screwed.

Yeah Mack Brown 7-2, 6-0 in the Big 12... and people are talking about getting rid of him, give me a break.

It's Texas football. Mack is a figurehead. Applewhite is calling the shots on O and Robinson on D. Getting Manny Diaz out was a symbolic move but it did put confidence and fire back into their D. I also think the OC and DC were then allowed (because of pressure) to actually do their jobs and reigned in some of the elitist and privileged mindsets of the players. Got them back down to earth and focused on the team.

UT fans do not take likely to any loss, let alone 2. They lose a 3rd and he's a goner.

You ain't here, you really don't get the culture (or cult) that is UT football.

I hope Baylor puts a whooping on them.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 12:35 PM by CatMom.)
11-12-2013 12:34 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(11-12-2013 12:30 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 11:49 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Rumors are flying this is it for him...and now he's on Football Runor.com

Do you have something from your sources close to the program? This list is shakey at best.

I do, but nothing that I'm willing to post on this board.
11-12-2013 12:35 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT

I'm always amused when folks start talking about "getting rid" of a guy that's winning. TX fan is SPOILED . . . You wanna get rid of Mack, that's fine, but my question is always . . who ya gonna bring in that's better? Unless you have a lock on Saban . . or one of the other ("FEW") HIGH profile winners . . what's the point? Also, there's no guarantee that the "next" guy will win any more than Mack is right now . . . TX Fan should go back and review the results of the 4 or 5 guys that preceeded Mack before they run him out of town on a rail . . . .
11-12-2013 12:36 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!

It's not just his record, it's his recruiting record.

Folks can't let go that he whiffed on JFF, RGII, and one other (I forget who).

They feel he's past it. And really, they're right.

Brown is a GREAT ambassador for a university, but he's never been a great coach. He's been a really good recruiter. If he's missing on recruiting... Then he's got no business being there.
11-12-2013 12:38 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(11-12-2013 12:38 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

Brown is a GREAT ambassador for a university, but he's never been a great coach. He's been a really good recruiter. If he's missing on recruiting... Then he's got no business being there.

That would be Manziel
11-12-2013 12:42 PM
Advertisement

gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(11-12-2013 12:34 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

It's Texas football. Mack is a figurehead. Applewhite is calling the shots on O and Robinson on D. Getting Manny Diaz out was a symbolic move but it did put confidence and fire back into their D. I also think the OC and DC were then allowed (because of pressure) to actually do their jobs and reigned in some of the elitist and privileged mindsets of the players. Got them back down to earth and focused on the team.

UT fans do not take likely to any loss, let alone 2. They lose a 3rd and he's a goner.

You ain't here, you really don't get the culture (or cult) that is UT football.

I hope Baylor puts a whooping on them.

Interesting and likely true, though as an outsider I'd suggest the 'culture/cult' of UT football can't be that far removed from that surrounding any major program. Alabama surely has a similar culture. Can't be that hard to get.

And I still believe the pressure on Brown is far more intense now than it would have been 40 years ago, if all else were equal.

Can't wait to play Texas State.
11-12-2013 12:55 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(11-12-2013 12:35 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

Then why even post this thread?
11-12-2013 01:00 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana

Okay, fair enough.
11-12-2013 01:01 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Well at least make something up. I once convinced a good portion of Jonesboro that ASU was going to hire Nolan Richardson as basketball coach because I felt like it. You could go ahead and pronounce Blakeney's firing and look really smart when it happens, or can claim that you made it up for fun when he doesn't,.
11-12-2013 01:11 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(11-12-2013 12:42 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

That would be Manziel
JFF is Johnny F'ing Football AKA Manziel.

Earlier this season, it came out that The QB at Florida State (Jamies Winston) said that he wanted to play at Texas too
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 01:33 PM by chrisattsu.)
11-12-2013 01:27 PM
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
The local sports media (ESPN Austin, 1300 the Zone, and Ticket760 in SA) cover the Horns nonstop.

Mack was in hotwater after the BYU thrashing. Everyone expected him to mauled by Oklahoma and fired the following Monday. Every week since Oklahoma it has been, Mack is one loss away from being fired. However, each week they show up and get the W.

The lastest rumor they have is that Mack wasn't even consulted about the hire of their new AD. He was quoted as saying that he learned about it via Twitter. The media ate that up like crazy.
11-12-2013 01:33 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(11-12-2013 01:00 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

Then why even post this thread?

Because there was something linkable to go with what he knows.
11-12-2013 01:33 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Austin is all about UT. You have nothing else.
Major and minor league franchises want to find a home here but the BOR, Dodds and their cronies in the Legislature stop it at every turn.
The Ryans wanted downtown, they ended up in Round Rock. (north of Austin)
The minor league Ice Hockey team wanted downtown. They wanted to build a new arena for it to be shared with UT, free of charge. It was turned down. They ended up in an all purpose building out of the city (shared with rodeo and other events) and now (after changing hands and affiliation) have a great place of their own in Cedar Park. (NW of Austin) (don't question this, I know the original owners)
Minor League Soccer plays in high school stadiums on the fringes of Austin.

Austin is UT, lock, stock and barrel. People in Austin know no other way of life other than rooting on UT. (ok, except us smart ones).

Did you know there were back room machinations that put the LBJ library at UT instead of at SWT - where he went?
I'd have to do some research to find the info I read on this a few years back but it is public (on the interwebs)

I'm rambling, so I'll stop
11-12-2013 01:35 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(11-12-2013 01:27 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 12:42 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

That would be Manziel
JFF is Johnny F'ing Football AKA Manziel.

Earlier this season, it came out that The QB at Florida State (Jamies Winston) said that he wanted to play at Texas too

Sorry, that's not what I call him (can't post that) and I wasn't getting the initials.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 01:37 PM by CatMom.)
11-12-2013 01:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.