Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Botched call at end of Wisconsin - ASU game
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Botched call at end of Wisconsin - ASU game
could cost Wisky and the B1G $14 million if Wisconsin misses a BCS game because of that loss.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 08:25 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
11-11-2013 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
RE: Botched call at end of Wisconsin - ASU game
I guess it’s possible that botched call could consequently affect the Buckeyes SoS numbers.

Had the Broncos gone undefeated in 2011, The blown PAT call during the Syracuse/Toledo
game could have had been significant in Boise State’s SoS that same season.

The butterfly effect of poor officiating.
11-11-2013 08:57 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(11-11-2013 08:22 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  could cost Wisky and the B1G $14 million if Wisconsin misses a BCS game because of that loss.

Do you think Wisconsin would be chosen over Oregon?
11-11-2013 09:12 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(11-11-2013 08:22 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  could cost Wisky and the B1G $14 million if Wisconsin misses a BCS game because of that loss.

How do you figure its $14M? The bonus for getting a second team into the BCS is only about $6M and the B1G will get its $23M regardless of who they send to the Rose Bowl.
11-11-2013 09:38 AM
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(11-11-2013 09:38 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

How do you figure its $14M? The bonus for getting a second team into the BCS is only about $6M and the B1G will get its $23M regardless of who they send to the Rose Bowl.

The payoffs for last year were $17 million for a BCS and $3 million for a second tier. Getting the exact amount correct is not the important issue here. The main thing is that Wisky might have had a chance for a BCS bowl without the botched call. Right now, they might be as high as 10th with the one loss.
11-11-2013 11:43 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The officials should have handled that call better, but Wisconsin's QB derped the last play. And did it for nothing, because they could have just tried the chip-shot FG without that pointless play.

From the AP recap:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=332570009
Quote:With the ball on the right hash mark, Stave took a snap and ran left toward the center of the field to set up the potential game-winning field goal. Stave started to kneel, but ran into one of his offensive linemen and awkwardly placed the ball on the ground before quickly bouncing back up.

Players from both teams stood around for a few seconds in confusion and Arizona State's players tried to dive on the ball, but the officials pointed to the ground, appearing to say it was a dead ball.

Realizing the clock was still running, Wisconsin's players scrambled back to the line of scrimmage with about 2 seconds left. They weren't able to get a last snap off before the clock went off, sending Arizona State's players streaming off the field in joy.

Like the recap says, the QB "started to kneel", i.e., never hit his knee on the ground, and then just put the ball on the turf. Of course the ASU players dove on the ball. The QB just put the ball on the ground, so they thought it was a fumble. What QBs normally do when they kneel is hand the ball to the official.
11-11-2013 12:16 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Re: Botched call at end of Wisconsin - ASU game
There is 2 Big Ten teams ahead of them not in the top 2... It doesn't affect then unless somehow MSU or OSU bomb their seasons or drop a bunch in the polls.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
11-11-2013 02:31 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It was a strange end to the game. It was so odd and out of the ordinary it's little surprise that the officials were unsure which costs precious seconds. Ultimately, it's a sport and you have to understand that the officials are imperfect and that doing things out of the ordinary can have consequences with officials. I'd say its just like telling linemen to keep their hands inside; you know officials call the opposite. The same can be said for not pushing back or throwing a punch, its the second guy who always gets caught.

The circumstances in which this mistake took place are the culprit. It sucks but ultimately the referees couldn't really have been expected to get it right considering the oddity of the play. Had the kid kneeled the ball differently we may not have had this problem. Because of that, I have to put the blame on the kid. Kid, you should have just kneeled the ball instead of panicking and setting it down.
11-11-2013 02:37 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-11-2013 02:37 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  It was a strange end to the game. It was so odd and out of the ordinary it's little surprise that the officials were unsure which costs precious seconds. Ultimately, it's a sport and you have to understand that the officials are imperfect and that doing things out of the ordinary can have consequences with officials. I'd say its just like telling linemen to keep their hands inside; you know officials call the opposite. The same can be said for not pushing back or throwing a punch, its the second guy who always gets caught.

The circumstances in which this mistake took place are the culprit. It sucks but ultimately the referees couldn't really have been expected to get it right considering the oddity of the play. Had the kid kneeled the ball differently we may not have had this problem. Because of that, I have to put the blame on the kid. Kid, you should have just kneeled the ball instead of panicking and setting it down.

And the coach for even calling it with no timeouts. The QB also went back to plead his case that it wasn't a fumble with the refs instead of getting the team lined up. Wisconsin cost themselves the game, not the refs. Just general all around bad decision making. As you said, they confused the refs and Arizona St. and were disorganized themselves.
11-11-2013 03:07 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
The Wisconsin QB blew that final game by just placing the ball on the ground without taking a knee. I don't blame the defensive player for hugging the ball.
11-11-2013 06:54 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Countless replays showed that Stave's knee touched the ground. The officials should have handled the last play better. The officials blew it.

Of course, with that said, wisconsin should not have put itself in that position.
11-12-2013 03:33 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Thought this thread was going to be about Bielma's wife tweeting #Karma after the game. :)
11-12-2013 12:04 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
just looked in Colley. Wisconsin woudl be #10 this week

more importantly Ohio St would have been ahead of Stanford this week. It's possible if Alabama/FSU lose that this call could give the advantage to Stanford or Baylor instead of Ohio St.
11-12-2013 12:09 PM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(11-12-2013 03:33 AM)goofus Wrote:  Countless replays showed that Stave's knee touched the ground. The officials should have handled the last play better. The officials blew it.

Of course, with that said, wisconsin should not have put itself in that position.

But didn't he place the ball on the ground before his knee hit? If so, that is the Wisconsin QB's fault not the refs.
11-12-2013 02:18 PM
TomThumb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stuff
I watched the game live and none of the replays I saw on TV were conclusive. The announcers were pretty shocked that the QB didn't take a knee as they were showing replays and were blaming the QB for the screwed up play.

After the game when people went through the video frame by frame and came a photo taken from a different angle it looked like he did in fact have his knee down, but it was far from obvious at the time.
11-12-2013 02:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.