Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's hoops assessments
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Men's hoops assessments
What say ye?
As for me, Semenov needs to shoot more 3's. Lukic needs to step up and play like the 20 year old he is. Curry looks like the same player which means trouble. If Bessick is going to foul, he needs to mean it - no sissy fouls please. Vodanovich plays hard and will be an asset even when he doesn't score. Dalembert needs to use his fouls every game since the Dukes are soft inside...block or foul every interior shot attempt. Jackson Kent will have to be a point forward as he isnt good enough to be a winning point guard right now. Cooke needs to venture inside more and stop being easy to defend.
The team was good enough on first shot defense, but got crushed on rebounding and 2nd attempts.
1/2 court offense needs work as it appears Curry hasnt elevated his penetration skills. If he cant do it, Brady will have to install a W&M style offense with back cuts, screens galore, and quick perimeter passing.
We saw what we thought we would see tonight and there is lots of room for growth with everyone except Semenov.
11-08-2013 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Men's hoops assessments
Vodanovich played well. He might be our #3 scorer. Bessick was invisible.
11-08-2013 11:44 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

Vodanovich looked great, the other freshmen you could really tell they were freshman. Like a lot thought, I think this year might start out a little rough and hopefully gets better towards the end. But man I think we're really going to be good in a year or two. Early on neither team could make anything and I was hoping we'd be the ones to start hitting first, could've at least made a game of it for a while that way. Nation might have really made a big difference early on with that being the case, who knows. I'm looking forward to seeing the rematch next year when all these guys are a year older and it's at the Convo.
11-09-2013 01:31 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

We learned that UVA is really good.
11-09-2013 07:28 AM
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
We went toe to toe with them the second half, no?
11-09-2013 08:03 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

We settled for too many outside shots. We had almost zero dribble drive penetration. Guys like D. Moore, A. Davis and Nation could/can beat their defender off the dribble and get inside the lane for lay up or foul. We really missed that last night.

Overall, I was not too bummed about the game. I kinda expected our freshman might get a little star eyed playing in front of a big crowed in a big arena against a good team for their first ever collegiate basketball game. I was surprised Curry and Cook did not assert themselves more as an offensive presence.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 09:36 AM by Rock House Duke.)
11-09-2013 09:32 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

Here were my quick impressions from watching last night's game on my flat screen after going to the exhibition game just a few days earlier.

1. This team has completely changed its philosophy in terms of the types of players it recruits and the way it runs its offense and defense. I had difficulty trying to understand at the exhibition game what they were trying to do on offense. With some help from the color man and some distinct improvement over the last several days, it looked like they were running something akin to a Princeton motion offense. A year ago, they were almost playing four guys on the perimeter with one man on the low block and they relied heavily on beating people off the dribble. On defense last night, they played both switching man to man and matchup zone and they kept changing up their defenses. A year ago, they hardly played much zone as I recall and they relied on switching man to man (no change with respect to that piece), but they didn't seem to change up defenses from possession to possession that much.
2. Personally, I like the Princeton system, as it allows teams to make marked in-season improvement and does not necessarily require great athleticism, although good length and basketball IQ are extemely helpful (which is what these new recruits bring to the table).
3. Very difficult to project how much this team will improve and when it will reach critical mass to the point that they become a good team (although I sense the coaching staff thinks it will happen by the end of this season). Statistical service (Sagarin) predicted a 19 point or so differential last night and they were pretty much spot on. Another statistical service that I saw from a betting site had JMU winning about 11 games, as I've already posted. We'll see if that's accurate.
4. I also believe that most prognosticators' top 4 of Towson, Charleston, Delaware and Drexel is probably accurate at this point.
5. If you watch Kent, he doesn't waste time dribbling the ball up court if there are players up ahead to pass the ball to. That shows tremendous IQ on his part -- yes it's pretty basic, but so many young players don't do it.
6. I was happy to see the improvement in the play of Curry from a week ago. Cooke started to get untracked in the second half last night.
7. Semenov, as the announcers correctly pointed out, forced too many shots out of the flow of the offense.
8. Vodanovich is most advanced freshman at this point, obviously.
9. Should be an interesting season to watch unfold.
11-09-2013 10:10 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

One other point (make it no. 10): Dalembert shows some real flashes of his tremendous potential, but also makes some bone-headed mistakes (like not getting back on D and giving up on a play).
11-09-2013 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.