Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Coach Candidates
Bookmark and Share
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Football Coach Candidates
Let's hear the names.

Our next guy must be able to develop players and run modern (if not innovative) schemes. Previous HC experience is a must. Experience building a losing program in to a winner is preferred.

No Big Name U assistants that are only candidates because of WHERE they coach and not because of HOW they coach.

My top candidates would include Jim Collins from SVSU.
http://athletics.svsu.edu/sports/fball/c...ollins_Jim
11-08-2013 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Football Coach Candidates
My only comment is that with college coach, including FCS and D-II, coaching into December and sometimes early January (I believe the FCS championship is held now in January, lest I be mistaken) is that the candidates we'd like to see might be still working in a month.

I assume it is okay to contact them after the last regular season game (everyone seems to do that and hires a new guy before he can coach his current team in a bowl).

Let's hope this works out. I do believe there is good, not great, talent on this team with some brights spots as posters have mentioned, esp RB and QB.
11-08-2013 04:17 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Bill Cubit, OC Illinois
Lincoln Riley, OC ECU
11-08-2013 04:42 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
Probably not on the radar, but how about this guy. Turned around a d2 program to go 10-2 last year and currently is undefeated and ranked 10th in the country. Also was winner at NAIA level before this.

EMU needs to get a current head coach that has turned a program around. This guy may fit the bill.

http://www.esuhornets.com/coaches.aspx?r...h=football
11-08-2013 05:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: eastern
Just no nautical themes please...
11-08-2013 06:21 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2013 05:53 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  Probably not on the radar, but how about this guy. Turned around a d2 program to go 10-2 last year and currently is undefeated and ranked 10th in the country. Also was winner at NAIA level before this.

EMU needs to get a current head coach that has turned a program around. This guy may fit the bill.

http://www.esuhornets.com/coaches.aspx?r...h=football
That's a great example for who EMU should look for. Under the radar and experienced.
11-08-2013 06:30 PM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
Let me put someone out there "Fickle" he is from Ohio State and maybe our new AD Lyke can call in a favor.. I am sure they have some type of a relationship.. This is my dark horse..
11-08-2013 07:13 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-08-2013 07:13 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  Let me put someone out there "Fickle" he is from Ohio State and maybe our new AD Lyke can call in a favor.. I am sure they have some type of a relationship.. This is my dark horse..

Interesting. I have no problem with a big name B1G assistant coach with HC experience.
11-08-2013 07:21 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2013 07:21 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 07:13 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  Let me put someone out there "Fickle" he is from Ohio State and maybe our new AD Lyke can call in a favor.. I am sure they have some type of a relationship.. This is my dark horse..

Interesting. I have no problem with a big name B1G assistant coach with HC experience.

This is an OSU guy. He's used to playing with talent much better than his opponent. EMU needs a guy that can work with equal or lesser talent than his opponent. Would a guy like Fickell have a big name if he were at Indiana. He's only known because of where he's at, not how good he is.
11-08-2013 07:49 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2013 07:49 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

This is an OSU guy. He's used to playing with talent much better than his opponent. EMU needs a guy that can work with equal or lesser talent than his opponent. Would a guy like Fickell have a big name if he were at Indiana. He's only known because of where he's at, not how good he is.

Perfect post, sir.
11-08-2013 08:16 PM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
(11-08-2013 08:16 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

Perfect post, sir.

Fickle is just my dark horse for a HC at EMU..

I would just say why not? He has everything that EMU football needs.
11-08-2013 08:35 PM
Advertisement

EMU03' Offline
2nd String

Dream Hire- we can't afford him but we need to think big
Craig Bohl, North Dakota State HC

Highly Unlikely
Chuck Martin, Notre Dame OC (former HC at GVSU, EMU assistant)

Shawn Watson, Louisville OC (former HC at Southern Ill)
Jim Collins, SVSU HC

MAC retreads
Bill Cubit, Illinois OC (former WMU HC)
Turner Gill, Liberty HC (former Buff HC)
11-08-2013 08:42 PM
HuronRob Offline
Special Teams

(11-08-2013 08:42 PM)EMU03 Wrote:  Dream Hire- we can't afford him but we need to think big

Highly Unlikely

Jim Collins, SVSU HC

MAC retreads

Craig Bohl would be a dream hire but he would never, ever, come to EMU. He has built NDSU into a D-IAA powerhouse that routinely beats more well-known programs. A recent ESPN pre-game show was based in Fargo and highlighted Coach Bohl and the program. One of the most impressive things about his involvement, besides the success of the football program, is that he has helped NDSU build their sports income/budget to $18 Million. I have no idea how much EMU rakes in or spends on athletics but I'm guessing it isn't $18 Million. I am more than willing to be shown the error in my assumption.
11-08-2013 09:02 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2013 08:35 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 08:16 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

Perfect post, sir.

Fickle is just my dark horse for a HC at EMU..

I would just say why not? He has everything that EMU football needs.

I disagree. Fickell underachieved the one year he was in charge of OSU. He's as vanilla in his schemes as it gets. That works just fine at OSU, but...well you get the rest.
11-08-2013 09:07 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2013 08:42 PM)EMU03 Wrote:  Dream Hire- we can't afford him but we need to think big

Highly Unlikely

Jim Collins, SVSU HC

MAC retreads

Turner Gill is interesting. Surely he can't enjoy working at Liberty. 04-jawdrop
11-08-2013 09:09 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

How about this guy...
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl...42551.html

Sorry, couldn't resist.
11-08-2013 09:16 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

11-08-2013 09:19 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
I still like one of the two at Eastern Illinois, or Pittsburg State in Kansas. Both head coaches at successful programs.
11-08-2013 09:46 PM
WMU83 Offline
Banned

I Root For: WMU
emu needs a coach with mac experience, paul ferraro is an intriguing candidate. he has a MAC experience. Paul was a defensive coordinator at Bowling green in the 90's when he won the raisin bowl. From 1991-98, he served as the Defensive Coordinator at Bowling Green, helping the team to the 1991 and 1992 Mid-American Conference Championships and the 1991 California Raisin Bowl and 1992 Las Vegas Bowl Championships. currently he is @ maine as the defensive coordinator. Maine is 8-1, their best start since 1892!!! also, paul has NFL coaching experience!!

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-foo...ul_Ferraro
11-09-2013 12:51 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-08-2013 09:09 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

Highly Unlikely

Jim Collins, SVSU HC

MAC retreads

Turner Gill is interesting. Surely he can't enjoy working at Liberty. 04-jawdrop

I like Turner Gill too.

He'd be my #1 choice as of now.

He had success at UB and was hired up to a bigger program.

Turner is a midwest/midlands (not Midland) guy and not central Virginia guy. (I assume most know that there are essentially 'two' Virginias, Northern Virginia and the rest of the state, esp. central Virginia, which are culturally as different as one can get).
11-09-2013 03:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.