Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mike Aresco On UCF: Beach Front Property of American
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
Mike Aresco On UCF: Beach Front Property of American

He also mentions rivalries. Some of which don't make sense at all.

UCF vs. USF
Houston vs. SMU
Cincinnati vs. Memphis

Those all make sense. but then he says Cincinnati vs. UConn. Is that a rivalry?
11-07-2013 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Mike Aresco On UCF: Beach Front Property of American
What rivalry does Aresco mention that "doesn't make sense?" UC-UConn??? A lot of us Bearcat fans have long seen a rivalry developing between us and the Huskies. Traditionally the UC-UConn games have always been exciting and close, with UConn beating us every so often.

UC-Memphis is the one "rivalry" that everyone seems to want to develop that I don't see.
11-07-2013 11:23 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

FWIW, I think some of the other rivalries that are likely to develop for UC will be:
UC-Houston
UC-Temple

I'd like to see a rivalry develop between UC and SMoo, but we'll have to see about that...05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 11:27 AM by BearcatJerry.)
11-07-2013 11:26 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
I think Temple and UConn in basketball could become a rivalry (I guess in football as well)

I would list Tulane and Memphis....and Cincy and ECU....would love to see Army in football so the rivalry with Navy was there.
11-07-2013 11:29 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(11-07-2013 11:11 AM)MagicKnightmare Wrote:  

He also mentions rivalries. Some of which don't make sense at all.

UCF vs. USF
Houston vs. SMU
Cincinnati vs. Memphis

Those all make sense. but then he says Cincinnati vs. UConn. Is that a rivalry?

Yes, UConn and Cincinnati both are x-Big East basketball rivals, with historic basketball programs that have won National Championship in basketball. 07-coffee3
11-07-2013 11:34 AM
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

(11-07-2013 11:23 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  What rivalry does Aresco mention that "doesn't make sense?" UC-UConn??? A lot of us Bearcat fans have long seen a rivalry developing between us and the Huskies. Traditionally the UC-UConn games have always been exciting and close, with UConn beating us every so often.

UC-Memphis is the one "rivalry" that everyone seems to want to develop that I don't see.

I wasn't sure. We're the new guy here so I didn't know what kind of history you guys had. I guess from the new guy it just didn't seem totally logical from a geographic standpoint. But I guess with the basketball and a history in football it makes more sense.
11-07-2013 11:45 AM
Advertisement

mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Rivalries take time to develop, and generally develop due to coaching personalities - you just can't name them because of geography.

In past years UC and Memphis had a good BB rivalry - especially, the '91-'92 season when we beat Memphis (then Memphis St.) 4 times - twice in the regular season, in the Great Midwest Conference tournament and in the NCAA regional finals. 03-cloud9 (Most likly not going to happen again for a while)

Not sure who will be UC's rival in football with UofL leaving - there's just no one else we hate so much, but I hope to see the Memphis rivalry heat up again.
11-07-2013 11:54 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(11-07-2013 11:23 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  UC-Memphis is the one "rivalry" that everyone seems to want to develop that I don't see.

I was always under the impression that since Louisville/Memphis were long time rivals, and Louisville/Cincinnati were long time rivals, people just assumed Cincinnati/Memphis must be rivals as well even if they weren't. I would assume you all were rivals during the dark era, where you all went to the Great Midwest and we in the remnants of the Metro, but I do not really know you two as true rivals outside of just being conference mates. Is that correct?
11-07-2013 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-07-2013 12:26 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 11:23 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  UC-Memphis is the one "rivalry" that everyone seems to want to develop that I don't see.

I was always under the impression that since Louisville/Memphis were long time rivals, and Louisville/Cincinnati were long time rivals, people just assumed Cincinnati/Memphis must be rivals as well even if they weren't. I would assume you all were rivals during the dark era, where you all went to the Great Midwest and we in the remnants of the Metro, but I do not really know you two as true rivals outside of just being conference mates. Is that correct?

It is important to note that perhaps UC-Memphis will be a good BB rivalry. I dunno. The Great Midwest and Metro were all non-FB conferences so while we were playing in those conferences we were not necessarily playing FB against Memphis.

I am mainly a FB fan, so I approach rivalries from that aspect. I sometimes forget that you can have rivalries elsewhere as well. What might be a perfectly good BB series might not translate to other sports.

I am also only one fan...
11-07-2013 12:37 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
ECU-UCF will be nasty again in the near future and I'm sure Navy will be a big game when they get here.
11-07-2013 12:52 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

ECU v UCF, and UCF v USF will be the biggest rivalries in the league. UH v SMU could be good too.

I always assumed memphis and cinci were rivals but I guess not.
11-07-2013 01:01 PM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Pretty good rivalry in basketball, but until Cincinnati wins enough games to make the series record more respectable, I have to agree that the there is yet to be a "rivalry" in football. 05-stirthepot

Kidding aside, I well remember back in the 70's when Cincy finally beat Memphis in football for the first time. I also remember the joy in Memphis when we won our first basketball game against the Bearcats (in the same decade). If there isn't already a "rivalry" between the two schools, there probably will be soon enough. Both schools are urban universities located in river towns with primarily basketball tradition.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 01:12 PM by Gray Avenger.)
11-07-2013 01:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
ECU-UCF.... its coming
11-07-2013 01:18 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
I would hope that UH and SMU develop into a great rivalry as the two Texas schools... but from what I'm hearing from long term coogs fans it's just not really there (yet). Can't force it, it has to evolve as the teams beat each other over time... especially in big games that matter. Knocking each other out of a playoff spot or something...

Matters who 'sticks' long term also... Once the conference membership is stable for a few years, if opportunites to leave (or perceived opportunities...) start to dry up so schools lose the preoccupation with leaving, they will start to embrace the American and grow rivalries. Right now it's still a distraction.
11-07-2013 01:31 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(11-07-2013 01:31 PM)Bull Wrote:  I would hope that UH and SMU develop into a great rivalry as the two Texas schools... but from what I'm hearing from long term coogs fans it's just not really there (yet). Can't force it, it has to evolve as the teams beat each other over time... especially in big games that matter. Knocking each other out of a playoff spot or something...

Matters who 'sticks' long term also... Once the conference membership is stable for a few years, if opportunites to leave (or perceived opportunities...) start to dry up so schools lose the preoccupation with leaving, they will start to embrace the American and grow rivalries. Right now it's still a distraction.

If it hasnt happened after all that time in the SWC and CUSA together, I doubt it happens. Pony fans just don't have much passion.
11-07-2013 01:34 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2013 01:34 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 01:31 PM)Bull Wrote:  I would hope that UH and SMU develop into a great rivalry as the two Texas schools... but from what I'm hearing from long term coogs fans it's just not really there (yet). Can't force it, it has to evolve as the teams beat each other over time... especially in big games that matter. Knocking each other out of a playoff spot or something...

If it hasnt happened after all that time in the SWC and CUSA together, I doubt it happens. Pony fans just don't have much passion.

That was my thinking too about UH vs SMU.

ECU vs UCF is different than USF v UCF to me. I root for ECU to win outside of our games. Ive never rooted for USF to win and I probably never will. The USF fans I know feel the same way.

ECU is a friendly rivalry for me, even though on message boards it can get intense. I have a ton of respect for ECU. They've done the job on the field and in the stands. The game I went to a few years ago was awesome, even though UCF lost.

USF....07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 01:43 PM by Knights_of_UCF.)
11-07-2013 01:42 PM
Advertisement

FuzzyHasek Offline
2nd String

I Root For: HOUSTON

http://www.winsipedia.com/houston/vs/smu

this years game will be the 29th in 38 years.

including our '89 95-21 victory

Like Rice, SMU is a rivalry that is dead because of the lack of fan support for the program
11-07-2013 01:59 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

There are several factors that usually play into rivalries... Everyone focusses on geography, and yeah...that can be a factor. Similarity of the schools can be a major factor (ie. "similar" schools can sometimes be huge rivals...). But there are just the intangible aspects that also come into play--whether you just "like" or dislike another school.

For example: UC-Temple. Relatively close proximity, 2 urban schools... Might become a rivalry. But what is lacking at this moment is any sense of "dislike" of the Cherry-and-white. As a matter of fact, many UC types have been pulling for Temple; a lot of felt they never should have been tossed from the original BE and watching how some other BE members acted towards them coming back, I think most of us had some sense of sympathy. It will take some getting used to before a true rivalry really develops...if it does.

UC-Memphis has geography on it's side. It also has two similar urban, schools with proud BB histories. But right now, ***from my POV*** it just doesn't seem like the emotions in relationship to Memphis rise to "rivalry" status. Yeah, yeah, we get the 18-13 thing. We get the resentment against UC for leaving CUSA for the BE. But I don't think any of us really lost any sleep when Memphis quit popping up on the schedule nor do many of us suddenly experience much emotion at the name "Memphis" popping back up on the schedule. It's just kind of "Meh!" at this point. Maybe that changes. Who knows...

And, for what it's worth, that's not meant as a slap at Memphis. You don't have to be a rival with every single member of the conference. I can't see UC-ECU ever being a rivalry in the true sense of the word, but that doesn't mean we won't have some great games. Same with UCF. It just means that we won't get all in a lather because ECU or UCF's in town.
11-07-2013 02:09 PM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights
I was hoping this was an "everyone come and see how great we are" thread but your tangent on rivalries killed it.
11-07-2013 02:39 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-07-2013 02:39 PM)st932253 Wrote:  I was hoping this was an "everyone come and see how great we are" thread but your tangent on rivalries killed it.

So sorry... 01-ncaabbs01-ncaabbs01-ncaabbs

I have never known a fanbase so needy of positive feedback. Y'all are truly awesome and I bow in humility.
04-bow04-bow04-bow We indeed are not worthy to share a conference with you.04-bow04-bow04-bow
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 02:52 PM by BearcatJerry.)
11-07-2013 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.