Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

University names
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
University names
Troy and Memphis dropped the State .
Some directional names picked up the city instead .

For the schools without the option of U of state name or state name State what is the best option ?

Also Tech is not an option
11-06-2013 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: University names
i have brought up this issue so many times. basically the nice & polite way to say it........

for those not familiar with your school they associate your school with others of the same name. for example east carolina gets associated with the likes of northern illinois & central michigan despite ECUs 60k game average. only a well established school like northwestern or USC can successfully pull it off and the same goes for texas tech, virginia tech, georgia tech & texas A&M. troy becoming alabama tech wont do anything for them unless they take other steps to improve academics, athletics and join a power conference before the name "alabama tech" holds any real weight to it or par with vtech gtech Ttech.

as for memphis & troy, they are taking these steps by dropping the name to make their names sound more FBS level and sound more elite because memphis state & troy state sounds a bit lower level.
11-06-2013 09:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Schools view Directional State U or City State U as having a weaker academic reputation. In Texas, North Texas State University became the University of North Texas. Lamar State University became Lamar University. Southwest Texas State University became Texas State University.

Missouri had a bunch of directional-NE, NW, SW, SE, Western, Southern. NE MO St. U. became Truman State. SW Mo. St. U. became Missouri State University.
11-06-2013 10:00 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I'm sure that in most states that there are some good options for renaming. NW Missouri State U could just become University of Northern Missouri, or one of those Wisconsin branches of UW could try and become Wisconsin state. Worst case scenario, you can just make up a name like Truman State. One thing I never got was why Missouri-Rolla become Missouri S&T (science and technology). Sure, the clarification makes a lot more sense than the branch campus connotation, but Missouri Tech would've been a lot better.
11-06-2013 10:32 PM
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
Universities that currently don't exist:

New York State
University of New Jersey
New Jersey State
Massachusetts State
Maryland State
Wisconsin State
University of Louisiana
Connecticut State
Nebraska State
Hawaii State
Maine State
New Hampshire State
Rhode Island State
Alaska State
Vermont State
Wyoming State

(Kentucky State, Virginia State, West Virginia State, and Nevada State do exist, they're just not NCAA Division I members.)
11-07-2013 12:09 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
montana state?
wyoming state?
tennesse state?
california state?
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 12:12 AM by john01992.)
11-07-2013 12:12 AM
Advertisement

LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
Montana State and Tennessee State both exist. They're even Division I.
Wyoming State was listed.
I guess California State could have been included. I excluded them because they have a Cal State system, but none can claim to be THE Cal State University.
11-07-2013 12:31 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(11-07-2013 12:09 AM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  Universities that currently don't exist:

New York State
University of New Jersey
New Jersey State
Massachusetts State
Maryland State
Wisconsin State
University of Louisiana
Connecticut State
Nebraska State
Hawaii State
Maine State
New Hampshire State
Rhode Island State
Alaska State
Vermont State
Wyoming State

(Kentucky State, Virginia State, West Virginia State, and Nevada State do exist, they're just not NCAA Division I members.)

Buffalo has been making a big marketing push as New York's team - look at their uniforms, football turf, and advertisements, you'll see State University of New York at Buffalo. everywhere. And technically there's already two Universities of Louisiana, though there's been a bunch of discussion elsewhere of ULL trying to get UL to themselves.

The only other names on that list I could ever see happening (and I know you were just naming them off, not saying they'll happen) are Alaska/Massachusetts/Maryland/Wisconsin/Nebraska State if a branch campus wants to break off. Also would be a possibility that some college wants to add 'Tech' or 'A&M' to sound big-time if their institution fits the name change.[/size]

EDIT: Was too late on commenting about Montana/Tennessee State and the Cal State system.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 12:38 AM by Love and Honor.)
11-07-2013 12:37 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Rule

Starting now no one else is allowed to mention ULL in this thread

You will thank me later.
11-07-2013 01:09 AM
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
(11-06-2013 10:32 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I'm sure that in most states that there are some good options for renaming. NW Missouri State U could just become University of Northern Missouri, or one of those Wisconsin branches of UW could try and become Wisconsin state. Worst case scenario, you can just make up a name like Truman State. One thing I never got was why Missouri-Rolla become Missouri S&T (science and technology). Sure, the clarification makes a lot more sense than the branch campus connotation, but Missouri Tech would've been a lot better.

With MO S&T, the name was to help draw more out of state students by not sounding like a commuter branch of Mizzou and it has supposedly worked as out of state enrollment was up last I heard. I'm a Rolla grad from before the name change and I was opposed to it and I still am but I prefered s&t over Mo Tech or some of the other community college sounding names they had proposed. Most people still just refer to the school as Rolla anyways.
11-07-2013 01:25 AM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
The one university above all others that stands out as desperately needing a name change?

Central. Florida.

They have everything in the world going for them. Awesome location. Quality football team. Why wouldn't you just be Florida Tech or the University of Orlando?
11-07-2013 02:31 AM
Advertisement

jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
I agree.

The University of Orlando would fit in perfectly with Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, etc. It would also benefit USF to rename themselves The University of Tampa.
11-07-2013 07:18 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
They actually were Florida Tech originally but gave up the name which is now held by a small for profit school called Florida Tech

Do agree that UCF would benefit tremendously from becoming The University of Orlando which would at least put them perceptually on a level with schools like Miami, Pitt and BC instead of Central Michigan.
11-07-2013 07:42 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-06-2013 09:21 PM)john01992 Wrote:  i have brought up this issue so many times. basically the nice & polite way to say it........

for those not familiar with your school they associate your school with others of the same name. for example east carolina gets associated with the likes of northern illinois & central michigan despite ECUs 60k game average. only a well established school like northwestern or USC can successfully pull it off and the same goes for texas tech, virginia tech, georgia tech & texas A&M. troy becoming alabama tech wont do anything for them unless they take other steps to improve academics, athletics and join a power conference before the name "alabama tech" holds any real weight to it or par with vtech gtech Ttech.

as for memphis & troy, they are taking these steps by dropping the name to make their names sound more FBS level and sound more elite because memphis state & troy state sounds a bit lower level.

Actually East Carolina (ECU) is a big upgrade from when the school was known as East Carolina Teachers College (ECTC).
11-07-2013 07:56 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
03-shhhh Winning and good academics fixes this $hit, so quit crying and get out the checkbook to support academics and athletics at your university! 05-stirthepot
11-07-2013 08:04 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(11-07-2013 07:42 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  They actually were Florida Tech originally but gave up the name which is now held by a small for profit school called Florida Tech

Do agree that UCF would benefit tremendously from becoming The University of Orlando which would at least put them perceptually on a level with schools like Miami, Pitt and BC instead of Central Michigan.

Would really be a good idea for UCF. They have the academics, size, location, and facilities to be big time.
11-07-2013 08:11 AM
Advertisement

MRD92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
(11-07-2013 12:09 AM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  Universities that currently don't exist:

New York State
University of New Jersey
New Jersey State
Massachusetts State
Maryland State
Wisconsin State
University of Louisiana
Connecticut State
Nebraska State
Hawaii State
Maine State
New Hampshire State
Rhode Island State
Alaska State
Vermont State
Wyoming State

Maryland State College used to exist. Art Shell went there. It is now known as University of Maryland, Eastern Shore. There are 4 universities in Maryland that I can think of that still have state in their name: Frostburg State University, Coppin State University, Bowie State University and Morgan State University.

Frostburg is a Division III school. Coppin, Morgan, and Bowie are HBCU's. Bowie is Division II.
11-07-2013 08:24 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(11-07-2013 12:12 AM)john01992 Wrote:  montana state?
tennesse state?
california state?

Considering the shear amount of posting you do on a sports message board, it is remarkable that you don't know that each of these schools already exist. Actually, considering the poor quality of most of what you post, it's perhaps not all that remarkable.

(11-07-2013 07:18 AM)jnewyouth Wrote:  It would also benefit USF to rename themselves The University of Tampa.

So what should the current University of Tampa call itself?
11-07-2013 08:59 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
South Florida is fine. Simply because its a distinct region of the country pretty much everyone is familiar with (similar to southern california). If they dont want to change their name, they really dont have to.

ECU is more problematic.

North Carolina Tech would be best but they aren't a Technical school at all.

"Greenville" (the equivalent of Auburn or Clemson) still sounds like a small town and therefore small time.

Perhaps the route would be to go like Rutgers or Purdue and choose an important person in the school's history like a president or major donor that made the school possible.

East Carolina will always sound like a small time directional school ala Eastern Illinois or Eastern Michigan and be a hindrance to their ambitions.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 09:03 AM by 10thMountain.)
11-07-2013 09:00 AM
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(11-07-2013 07:18 AM)jnewyouth Wrote:  I agree.

The University of Orlando would fit in perfectly with Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, etc. It would also benefit USF to rename themselves The University of Tampa.

University of Tampa already exists as a private Division II school
Florida Institute of Technology (Florida Tech) is also a small private Division II school.

No way we can get those names from them.

UCF could go to the University of Orlando but I think our staff actually likes UCF for some sick reason and lets be honest, changing it now would be solely for FBS football reasons, which probably isn't the best reason.
11-07-2013 09:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.