Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is there really any team capable of beating FSU this year?
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Is there really any team capable of beating FSU this year?
Never thought I'd be asking this question this year, but is there really any team capable of beating FSU this year? I would say their strongest shot was Oregon. The SEC's top teams are all on rebuilding years for their defense, and it seems like FSU has the strongest team to win the BCS title game.
11-04-2013 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BaylorGuy314 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Baylor
RE: Is there really any team capable of beating FSU this year?
(11-04-2013 01:07 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Never thought I'd be asking this question this year, but is there really any team capable of beating FSU this year? I would say their strongest shot was Oregon. The SEC's top teams are all on rebuilding years for their defense, and it seems like FSU has the strongest team to win the BCS title game.

I think there are a few that could in a shoot out (such as Oregon) but not many.
11-04-2013 01:57 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(11-04-2013 01:57 PM)BaylorGuy314 Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 01:07 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Never thought I'd be asking this question this year, but is there really any team capable of beating FSU this year? I would say their strongest shot was Oregon. The SEC's top teams are all on rebuilding years for their defense, and it seems like FSU has the strongest team to win the BCS title game.

I think there are a few that could in a shoot out (such as Oregon) but not many.

The only team other than Oregon that would even have a chance would be Baylor.
11-04-2013 02:47 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Guess We find out soon. ACC CG. or NCG if 'Bama or Ducks lose first. I like FSU's chances though.
11-04-2013 02:52 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
FSU this year may be like Auburn in 2004- where we never really found out just how good they were.
11-04-2013 02:56 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
My opinion is that until proven otherwise FSU is an ACC team beating ACC teams. Which is a way of saying I don't know how good they really are, and in the absence of other information ACCness generally denotes beatability, so: yes, they are beatable.
11-04-2013 03:09 PM
Advertisement

BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
I don't believe in the inevitable supremacy of the SEC, but I have a hard time betting against Alabama at this point. Would I guarantee they'd win? No. But I'm not about to count them out against anyone.
11-04-2013 03:34 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(11-04-2013 03:09 PM)justinslot Wrote:  My opinion is that until proven otherwise FSU is an ACC team beating ACC teams. Which is a way of saying I don't know how good they really are, and in the absence of other information ACCness generally denotes beatability, so: yes, they are beatable.

Foolish statement.

Winston is the best QB that FSU has EVER put on the field. He's better at this stage than Charlie Ward. FSU has just toyed with some of their opponents this year and called the dogs off in every game. This is the best FSU team I have EVER seen and have been watching them for 25 years.

Alabama has the defensive talent and coaching staff to stay on the field and beat FSU in a slugfest. Oregon's defense does not compare to FSU's. Ohio State might have the defense to stay on the field with FSU. Defense is the key to beating FSU.
11-04-2013 03:38 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
FSU is a high volume offense. While I think there defense is good, I think all of the top teams would have a shot against them to include; 'Bama, Oregon, Baylor, OSU and A&M.
11-04-2013 03:39 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

Not sure why you are so impressed with FSU? They haven't played anyone with top-tier talent. They don't run the ball and their passing game counts on plenty of time for the QB and throwing to wide open receivers beating over-matched DBs. Defensively, they aren't strong up the middle.

I'd favor Alabama and LSU over them for sure.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 04:26 PM by quo vadis.)
11-04-2013 04:25 PM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
(11-04-2013 04:25 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Not sure why you are so impressed with FSU? They haven't played anyone with top-tier talent. They don't run the ball and their passing game counts on plenty of time for the QB and throwing to wide open receivers beating over-matched DBs. Defensively, they aren't strong up the middle.

I'd favor Alabama and LSU over them for sure.

Let me know who Alabama and LSU has beaten with top tier talent. I'll give you A&M. Clemson has beaten Georgia and will be playing SC.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 04:29 PM by curtis0620.)
11-04-2013 04:28 PM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb

Capable on any given night? Oregon, Stanford, Baylor, LSU, TAMU, Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, South Carolina, Ohio State.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 04:30 PM by bigblueblindness.)
11-04-2013 04:30 PM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
The 4 team playoff needs to start this year.
11-04-2013 04:32 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(11-04-2013 03:09 PM)justinslot Wrote:  My opinion is that until proven otherwise FSU is an ACC team beating ACC teams. Which is a way of saying I don't know how good they really are, and in the absence of other information ACCness generally denotes beatability, so: yes, they are beatable.

WTF is this? Of course FSU is beatable. So is Bama and Oregon and everyone else.

But ACC teams beating ACC teams? That's pure stupid. Clemson and Miami are a combined 15-2 and have beaten pre-season top 10 SEC schools UGA and UF. Both schools were near full-health when they lost to Clemson and Miami (and have since lost an incredible amount of talent due to season ending injuries). Clemson and Miami are ABSOLUTELY worthy of their top 10/15 rankings.

Oregon's big wins are...? Against a 5-3 (2-3) Washington? A 6-2 (3-2) UCLA?
Oregon's toughest game on paper is...? A team that lost to 4-4 (1-4) Utah?
Another "big game" for Oregon is against a 3-loss OR State team that lost to an FCS?

Seems like a bunch of mediocre with 1 great team and 1 good team (Stanford). ACC at least has 2 good teams to go with that 1 great team this year.
11-04-2013 05:01 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(11-04-2013 05:01 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

WTF is this? Of course FSU is beatable. So is Bama and Oregon and everyone else.

But ACC teams beating ACC teams? That's pure stupid. Clemson and Miami are a combined 15-2 and have beaten pre-season top 10 SEC schools UGA and UF. Both schools were near full-health when they lost to Clemson and Miami (and have since lost an incredible amount of talent due to season ending injuries). Clemson and Miami are ABSOLUTELY worthy of their top 10/15 rankings.

Another "big game" for Oregon is against a 3-loss OR State team that lost to an FCS?

Seems like a bunch of mediocre with 1 great team and 1 good team (Stanford). ACC at least has 2 good teams to go with that 1 great team this year.

Actually, I'd say Oregon's big wins are against Tennessee (I'm surprised you didn't mention that one), UCLA (they really are underrated this year. I think they could go toe to toe with Clemson), Virginia (this is an ACC team, btw), and Washington (they're a rival, so it's always a big game). Toughest game on paper is probably against Stanford, although I'd never bet against Arizona either. Like Washington, Oregon State is a rivalry for the Ducks; it's the just that the Beavers are down this year like Auburn was pre-Malzahn & post-Newton. I'd love to see Oregon and FSU slug it out; in fact, tell the FSU AD to put the Ducks on the sched. I'm sure Oregon would probably accept in the time it would take to schedule a home and home. Also, that would be the one FSU home game I would really try to make it to, since Oregon very rarely plays teams from the Southeast. Definitely on my bucket list if it happens. (Only 96.5 mi. from FSU campus, btw). I'll take playing FSU over Michigan & Ohio State any day!! ( 04-cheers )
11-04-2013 07:06 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
I'm having trouble deciding if your comment is 50% sarcasm and 50% sincerity, or 100% sincerity of which 50% I totally disagree with.

Mainly, why would I include Tennessee as a decent opponent? They aren't good.

And Virginia? Quite possibly the worst team in the ACC this year. Literally.

Being a rival doesn't make Oregon State or Washington better than they actually are/aren't. They both have 3 losses. One has a loss to an FCS team. They're big games to the fans of those schools but they aren't inherently big for national title purposes.

I think FSU would be willing to play Oregon but a neutral site matchup is probably more realistic than a 2-game series
11-04-2013 08:31 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Hmm, I thought FSU's motto was "anyone, anywhere, any place, any time." I thought FSU wanted to be different from the SEC, not just like it. Hmm.
As for the rest of my post, Tennessee was actually pretty good when Oregon scheduled them originally. And the Vols even gave UGa a very good run for their money. Are you saying that FSU would have decimated Tennessee and UGa? I definitely beg to differ. And while it's just my IMO, FSU would lose by at least 15 to 'Bama.
11-05-2013 01:31 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(11-05-2013 01:31 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Hmm, I thought FSU's motto was "anyone, anywhere, any place, any time." I thought FSU wanted to be different from the SEC, not just like it. Hmm.
As for the rest of my post, Tennessee was actually pretty good when Oregon scheduled them originally. And the Vols even gave UGa a very good run for their money. Are you saying that FSU would have decimated Tennessee and UGa? I definitely beg to differ. And while it's just my IMO, FSU would lose by at least 15 to 'Bama.

This statement drives me crazy every single time I hear it. Who gives a rip how good a team was when it was scheduled. All that matters is how good a team is the season when the game was played.
11-05-2013 01:37 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(11-04-2013 05:01 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

So you give ACC teams credit for beating preseason SEC teams but you fail to mention that Oregon has or will play the following teams that have been ranked this year. (Washington, Oregon State, UCLA, Stanford, and possibly Arizona State). That's as strong of a schedule as any team in the country.

What is with you ACC fans this year?
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 01:44 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
11-05-2013 01:42 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
There isn't anything you can really say to take away from Oregon this year, and that why they are in the hunt.

FSU just has a lot going for it as well, mostly a kid who could easily be the best QB in the country.

It's going to be a hell of a finish this season.
11-05-2013 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.