Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC teams are 3rd most popular teams in their states
UHRedcat96 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH Cougars
Like CUSA of the past, the AAC has no team that is the #1 Most Popular Team in their respective states.

UH plays behind UT, aTm, Tech, now Baylor and TCU, every Pro Team
USF and UCF play behind Miami, Florida State, UF, and Tampa Pro Teams
Temple plays behind All Philly Pro Teams, Pitt, PSU
SMU is the same situation as UH except they get Dallas's Jerry Jones
Tulane plays behind LSU
Tulsa plays behind OU and OSU
ECU is behind UNC, NC State, and all those other ACC Carolina schools
UC is behind OSU and every Pro Team
Memphis is behind UT
UConn is the only game in town

So really it looks like Tulane, Memphis and UConn face the least competition from other teams vying for their attention.
But none of the AAC teams represent the Top Team in their state with the exception of UConn.
11-03-2013 01:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: AAC teams are 3rd most popular teams in their states
All you can do about that is win and become more popular. 07-coffee3
11-03-2013 01:19 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(11-03-2013 01:15 PM)UHRedcat96 Wrote:  Tulane plays behind LSU

Saints?
11-03-2013 01:23 PM
vaNtR Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
Temple certainly plays behind PSU and the Philly pro teams, but Pitt has like a 1% share of the Philadelphia market. They don't cast a shadow like PSU does. In fact, they hardly affect us at all.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 01:25 PM by vaNtR.)
11-03-2013 01:25 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
This thread would be more meaningful if you included merchandise sales info to support your statement.

Like for example, does Wake Forest merchandise sales beat ECU? I don't think so. Merchandise sales are a fairly clear indicator as to who is more popular.
11-03-2013 01:30 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(11-03-2013 01:15 PM)UHRedcat96 Wrote:  Like CUSA of the past, the AAC has no team that is the #1 Most Popular Team in their respective states.

UConn is the only game in town

But none of the AAC teams represent the Top Team in their state with the exception of UConn.

Might want to amend the top line.

Also I would contend that UT is not even the most popular SEC team in Memphis, so it's no slam dunk there that Memphis is a clear second in their city.
11-03-2013 01:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
OP Analysis is sketchy at best. in football alone I dont think ECU plays behind any of the acc state schools and certainly not duke or wake.
11-03-2013 01:33 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Yeah, Pitt has nothing to do with Philly and Temple at all. Pitt is as much of an issue as UVA is in Philly.
11-03-2013 01:43 PM
North Carolina Knights Offline
Water Engineer

Clueless post by OP. the hurricanes are far from popular in Orlando and no Tampa pofessional team has a foothold in Orlando, fact is he Dolphins are much more popular in Orlando than the Bucs. UCF may be behind UF and FSU but hat will not be long term. UCF's climb while UF tumbles could not be happening at a better time.
11-03-2013 01:45 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(11-03-2013 01:33 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  OP Analysis is sketchy at best. in football alone I dont think ECU plays behind any of the acc state schools and certainly not duke or wake.

Talking about football popularity?...ECU is 3rd. Unless you are an ECU alum or live in Greenvlle....everyone else is either Red or Power Blue first. We are gaining..but..that is just the way it is. Wake and Duke are pretty much a non issue outside of Winston and Durham because of their very small alumni presence.

ECU is a non issue when it comes to Basketball due to the ACC.
11-03-2013 01:54 PM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-03-2013 01:54 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(11-03-2013 01:33 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  OP Analysis is sketchy at best. in football alone I dont think ECU plays behind any of the acc state schools and certainly not duke or wake.

Talking about football popularity?...ECU is 3rd. Unless you are an ECU alum or live in Greenvlle....everyone else is either Red or Power Blue first. We are gaining..but..that is just the way it is. Wake and Duke are pretty much a non issue outside of Winston and Durham because of their very small alumni presence.

ECU is a non issue when it comes to Basketball due to the ACC.

I would agree with all of this. Especially the part about Duke and Wake. In football, they are so far in the rear view mirror it's inconceivable anyone would think they are ahead of ECU. In basketball, Duke at least garners a huge amount of bandwagon support unparalleled by most anyone. Wake, not so much...but they capitalize on the ACC exposure.
11-03-2013 02:12 PM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Miami has very little presence in Orlando.
11-03-2013 02:30 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(11-03-2013 01:45 PM)North Carolina Knights Wrote:  UCF may be behind UF and FSU but hat will not be long term.

Get real, dude.

The naivety of some UCF fans amazes me. I usually chalk it up to being such a new program, and not knowing any better, but it's hard to believe anyone would think UCF will ever overtake either FSU or Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-03-2013 02:41 PM
FonzKnight Offline
Special Teams

(11-03-2013 01:45 PM)North Carolina Knights Wrote:  Clueless post by OP. the hurricanes are far from popular in Orlando and no Tampa pofessional team has a foothold in Orlando, fact is he Dolphins are much more popular in Orlando than the Bucs. UCF may be behind UF and FSU but hat will not be long term. UCF's climb while UF tumbles could not be happening at a better time.

Not anytime soon. It's gonna take a few decades of winning before anything changes.
11-03-2013 03:02 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-03-2013 01:45 PM)North Carolina Knights Wrote:  Clueless post by OP. the hurricanes are far from popular in Orlando and no Tampa pofessional team has a foothold in Orlando, fact is he Dolphins are much more popular in Orlando than the Bucs. UCF may be behind UF and FSU but hat will not be long term. UCF's climb while UF tumbles could not be happening at a better time.

^ This.
11-03-2013 03:03 PM
FonzKnight Offline
Special Teams

(11-03-2013 02:41 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(11-03-2013 01:45 PM)North Carolina Knights Wrote:  UCF may be behind UF and FSU but hat will not be long term.

Get real, dude.

The naivety of some UCF fans amazes me. I usually chalk it up to being such a new program, and not knowing any better, but it's hard to believe anyone would think UCF will ever overtake either FSU or Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So some of our fans are naive. A little naivity is good in a fan base.
11-03-2013 03:11 PM
Advertisement

Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I Root For: UCF Knights
(11-03-2013 02:41 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

Get real, dude.

Statewide? Probably not any time soon (although forever is a long time).

In Orlando metro area? We've already caught up and passed FSU. The University of Florida is another story. That is very unlikely to happen anytime soon. UF is in the middle of nowhere, but is located almost equidistant to 3 of the 4 major Florida markets. Gainesville is less than a 2 hour drive from Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. UF is the #1 team in all 3 of those markets and is likely to remain so for a long time.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 03:40 PM by Inigo.)
11-03-2013 03:37 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
The title thread includes the words "in their states"...not "in their metro areas." Hell, Memphis is the biggest player in this market, but we will NEVER, EVER, EVER overtake UT statewide.
11-03-2013 03:58 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(11-03-2013 03:58 PM)99Tiger Wrote:  The title thread includes the words "in their states"...not "in their metro areas." Hell, Memphis is the biggest player in this market, but we will NEVER, EVER, EVER overtake UT statewide.

Yep, "in their states" was missed by a good many of the people that are arguing for a higher ranking of their favored programs.
11-03-2013 04:13 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Many programs in this conference are - in the long term - capable of a University of Miami run (circa 80s and 90s). Remember, the U and FSU were afterthoughts until Bowden and Schnellenberger arrived. In fact, Houston has a 12-2 record against the Noles (accumulated during the Yeoman years).

So, what this tells you is that college football doesn't exist in a vacuum. If it did, Art Briles would have never left Houston (taking RG3 with him) and have BAYLOR in the national discussion right now. Think about that! Baylor...

Will Baylor ever sell more merchandise than UT or A&M? It's doubtful.

But, is that really the crown we are seeking???
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 04:19 PM by BigEastHomer.)
11-03-2013 04:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.